1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abandoned dreams

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Share all your abandoned and forgotten dreams (dreams as in plans for the future, not the sleep kind). If you like, say why you stopped wanting to do that. And it doesn't have to be realistic. You could have been 8 when you dreamt it :slight_smile:.

-I used to want to be an astronaut. I wanted to be the first man on mars. Still do, really, but its not going to happen :/

-I had my whole life decided. I was going to study physics at university, go into astrophysics, do cool stuff. And one day, I guess I just changed. I lost interest in going into physics, got completely lost, and never really knew why.

What are some of yours?

2. Minamimoto_Fan

I always wanted to be a cardiologist when I was a little kid, but I could not even make the initial cut, let alone do much else, with dissections in bio.

I may have given up on being a cardiologist, but I'm still perusing a medical position, it'll just be the technical side of things

3. deejay

Out Status:
    A few people
    - When I was a schoolgirl I'm always fascinated with SCIENCE. So I told myself I'm gonna be a SCIENTIST someday. Unfortunately, it did not happen and will never happen...

- When I was in high-school I wanted to be a musician. I tried to learn how to play the guitar, the flute and the organ. Too bad I'm just a beginner and have stopped learning afterwards.

- When I was in college, I told myself I'm gonna be a great programmer, however never happened as well since I discovered that it's a stressful thing to do and now have pursued a different thing but still somehow related to IT, yet not in depth

- So now I'm a frustrated Scientist, Musician and a programmer and is now a Photography Hobbyist. I hope this time I would be able to live up with what I want to learn... Hahaha!!!

4. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    The first goal is lofty, but I think you're smart enough to do the second one if you wanted to.

The first dream was to be a military commander since I was laboring under the delusional belief that the USA was a gentle giant determined to help the less fortunate. My reasons for abandoning this line of thought will be unknown but my feelings. I thought I was a brilliant strategist cause I was good at Fire Emblem. In my teen head I thought that being able complete Fire Emblem without any casualties made me qualified for that. Yes, I know how asinine that sounds, but at that age it's normal to think like that.

Finding a life partner. I've only had two girlfriends and am a virgin. In terms of life direction, I have a lot going on: college education, good credit, I live alone, a car, and am on my way to a career. But I would trade all of that for a companion, the one thing I'm sorely lacking. It's also the strongest desire that eclipses anything else I have.

I want to commit the rest of my life to someone. But at the same time I've given up on it ever happening. The first girl I dated had a vibrant personality, mesmerizing eyes, a picturesque smile, she was caring, tall...she possessed all the qualities I want in a girl, but she also had one irredeemable one. She was a Christian, and as expected we argued about that a lot. Realizing the encumbrance her religion would be I broke up with her. Sometimes I think we could've been the perfect couple if she was a freethinker.

My second girlfriend, while not being religous, she didn't interest me. I want a girl who's different, someone who can challenge me, introduce me to new things, doesn't waste money on materialistic things, shares my passion for the arts, etc. I want a woman who's not afriad to disagree with me when I'm wrong. I can't stand morons who pretend to agree just because they're intimidated by my intelligence.

I do try to mingle with like-minded people if the opportunity arises, but then I wonder why I did it. People won't make the necessary changes - they're either too meek, to indolent, too apathetic, too insular, too controlling, too religious, too misguided, or too inconsiderate. They'll always have some unforgivable quality that makes us incompatible.
    As a result I've given up on finding love but I wish I didn't have too.

#4 AtheistWorld, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  5. Foxface

I wanted to be an officer in the military but I left the Air Force to pursue my dream of being a therapist

and well that one came true

Foxface

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    - I wanted to be an astronaut since I was little. It was my first dream profession next to being a Power Ranger (which was crushed with the destruction of the Command Center and the death of Zordon). That dream was crushed when I discovered I'm terrified of wide open spaces and voids.

- I wanted to be a be a demonologist, but I lost interest in the paranormal and the occult when I was starting high school.

- I wanted to be part of a band. I forgot that I can't sing (I lip sync'd my way through chorus class) and I can't play an instrument to save my life. I figured I could be a music producer or a band manager, but that's probably never going to happen.

- When I was heavily into forensic science, I told myself I would join my cousin in our shared dream of having involvement with that field--for me, being a crime scene investigator or a mortician (the latter was hers); but I suddenly became a weenie and the idea of slicing a stomach open makes me uneasy (oddly enough I still want to be a director known for having medically accurate splatter movies).

7. Zac

Zac

When I was about 7 I wanted 100 babies :lol:
    Afterwards I learnt where children came from and there was no way I'd be giving birth to them!
    And that babies turned into kids and I hate kids :rolle:

8. Emulator

My first childhood dream was to be a doctor, a heart surgeon to be exact. Well, I decided not to pursue that dream and instead look into the science of technology. Though I wouldn't mind if I did study medical science.

9. Nick07

It's strange I can't think about any. I think I was always afraid to have big dreams of my own. I lived other people's dreams and didn't find it wrong.
    Several years ago I decided to do something crazy, just for myself. I bought a lens camera and also flew to Canada just for one concert. The latter one was probably the craziest thing I have ever done, but it turned out to be also one of the best things I have ever done.

It has encouraged me a bit to dream and not wave my dreams off as too selfish. I started to draw, to write short stories, to do Japanese ink painting.
    There are a few more things I would like to do, like taking lessons in photography (because, honestly, the lens camera is still smarter than me :wink:, visit winter Alaska, see the Northern Lights, try dog sledding...

But I don't know. I am slowly getting back to the "MY dreams are not important" mode. So maybe I can already list them as abandoned? :slight_smile:

10. biggayguy

I wanted to be world chess champion. After all my relatives quit playing with me I thought I was pretty good. A few visits to the city chess club showed me that just becoming city champion would be a tall order.

11. DrkRayne

Wanted to be a medical examiner. Hated those pre-requisite classes and said screw it!

12. Minnie

Hexagon, you sound like me!
    Old dreams:
    - Have a boyfriend and have sex with him!(not sure if I'm completely gay or bisexual, or either - don't think I'm straight though.)
    - Be the first person on Mars and be an astrophysicist, discovering the mysteries of the universe and winning a Nobel Prize!
    - Be an actress living in Paris
    - Travel the world

Newer dreams:
    - Be an archaeologist
    - Be a mum and give birth (God, am I really saying that???)
    - Volunteer at a cat sanctuary

13. English Frenchman

When I was young, I wanted to be a chef. I love(d) cooking. I used to sit in bed with my Moroccan au pair and we would watch the Food Network all day.
    I had it all decided. I wanted to go to the culinary institute of food in Chicago and start my own restaurant. I was a foul mouthed child so I wanted to be like Gordon Ramsey.

Now, I have a different dream. I want to be a lawyer. It’s a lot nicer than it sounds.
    I want to study IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) and defend the rights of authors and artists alike.
    However, if I could still choose a dream job, I’d be a physicist at CERN in Switzerland. That’s just awesome. Astrophysicist is awesome.

This isn’t an ambition dream. I just really want to meet Bill Nye, Niel DeGrasse Tyson and all the other great ones.

#13 English Frenchman, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  14. tex st

tex st Guest

lol, that's cute!

when i was a kid, i wanted to be a doctor and an architect

15. Tzoa

When I was six all I wanted when I grew up was to drive the ice cream truck. I would turn my bike upside down, spin the pedal and pretend I was making ice cream, then ring my bell and pretend it was the ice cream truck music. A couple years later I wanted to be a detective, or a spy. Then another few years later I was sure I would be National Geographic's best photographer ever, and for as long as I can remember I've wanted to be an author (on top of being a spy/detective and photographer). Not sure I'd call being an author an abandoned dream just yet. I love to write, want to do it... but either have no time or am in a continuous state of writer's block.

16. GayNerd

When I was 4ish, I wanted to be a Policeman, until I found out the life-risks I'd be taking. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Then, when I was 5ish to 10ish, I wanted to be an Artist, until I found out how hard painting and drawing is. :lol:

My Two Cents for now. :wink:

17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Until I was about 15, I wanted to marry a woman and have kids. Both of those have since changed dramatically.

18. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I wanted to join a band, play bass.

Oh, and become a Disney animator. I wanted to go to art school and study in traditional animation. I studied the craft and industry. You could've named a scene from a Disney film and sometimes, depending on when it was made, I could've told you who was the main animator on the scene.

There was one problem. I couldn't draw worth shit. And it was reading a Richard Williams' animators handbook that I realized how much skill and technical work is involved so the dream gradually died.

19. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

As a young kid, I remember wanting to be a zoologist, which morphed over time to first paleontology and then geology before I discovered astronomy. Somehow astronomy turned into particle physics and how that relates to cosmology.

Basically, up until the age of 20, I wanted to be a scientist. But this changed for two reasons.

One, after hearing many troubling reports about the state of academia today, I became disillusioned with the current way of doing science, which is driven more by "publish or perish" than doing good, solid research.

Two, I realized that I didn't actually like physics, math, and doing science all that much. I love learning about it, but actually sitting down and working out the equations? It required effort I wasn't used to having to put in. I grew so used to putting little to no effort into school work that I literally never learned how to work hard at things. I asked myself whether I truly loved the subject enough to overcome this, and the answer was a resounding no.

So now I'm studying computer science with the intention of becoming a programmer. A part of me wants to make indie video games, but I know how hard it is to succeed in that field. A part of me worries that I'll cave in when things get difficult, just like I did with physics. However, I do have evidence that this won't happen. I've put in tens, if not hundreds, of hours of my free time learning how to program. I've taught myself three languages and am working on a fourth. In short, I am willing to learn how to put effort into becoming a better programmer, something which I could never say about learning physics or any of those other fields.

I've also had smaller dreams, like going to an Ivy League school or studying abroad, that also got dropped for various reasons, mostly financial.

20. English Frenchman

That’s an awesome childhood dream. Long live the original Disney movies.