1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First LGBT Group in my School

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Skyline, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Skyline

The community college I go to recently started their first LGBT student organization (in my area, at least)! I was pleased when I heard the news, and I joined up immediately. This is actually the first time I've tried to join a student organization, and I was surprised at myself for going to the initial meeting. Normally I'm too shy to try something new like this so easily. There were a lot of interesting people there! I expected as there would be, that's probably why I wanted to go. I was only sad that it only lasted an hour. And we were too busy brainstorming ideas for me to get to know anyone.

Anyway, as a topic for discussion; Does your school have any LGBTQA groups? Did you join? What was it like? I partly want to know out of curiosity, and I partly want to know what to expect more.

2. Fiddledeedee

That's great! Hm, maybe as one of the ideas to bring up, you could suggest that they spend less time bringing up ideas and more time hanging out.

My school doesn't have any LGBT groups. On the one hand, that's okay because people are generally apathetic or positive about LGBT stuff, but on the other, it makes it harder to gather who is what and despite the positivity it can feel lonely.

3. Skyline

I think I know what you mean about that loneliness. Until now, I've only found friends online who are LGBT.

4. purplekitty

There isn't a LGBTQ group at my community college. When I tried looking for one, it looks like one was started in 2009 but I can't find out what happened to it. Fortunately, all the universities that I'm interested in transferring to have an LGBT group. I just hope they'll accept an asexual into their ranks.

5. English Frenchman

My school does not.
    Unfortunately, where I live, LGBT has many perceptions, some of which are:
    -It’s only white people who get the “disease”
    -It’s disgusting and if you do anything, your genitals will burn off

Catching someone in any act, wether they be old, young, male or female, will result in the locals coming round and torturing them to death.
    Even though I go to an International school, with people from around the world, I still heard last year, my good friend say to me:
    “If ever I meet a gay guy and he says Hello to me, I’ll beat him up right then and there”
    (We talked about LGBT in Science class)

This kind of explains why I’m not really out of the closet.

6. Silver Sparrow

My school has a pretty active GBSTA, and I have been a member since my freshman year. It's been amazing!

7. Skyline

I'm sure they will! I was accepted into my school's group, and I'm technically nothing more than questioning.

That's horrible. I guess while some of us here only have our own feelings to overcome, others have a whole community to face.

Awesome!

8. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My school has a GSA, and I've been debating on whether or not to attend a meeting for the past year. I wanted to go as a freshman, but for the first half of the year my parents didn't know about my sexuality, and I didn't want to tell them. I also didn't want to lie and go in secret, so no GSA for me. Funny that I don't go to a meeting now... maybe it's just the people I'm afraid of...?

9. Skyline

I recommend you give it a try now. It's not too late :slight_smile:
    Look at it as an exciting opportunity to meet some outside-the-box thinkers! That's what I did. :icon_bigg

10. purplekitty

Thanks for the encouragement! I think I was feeling pessimistic when I made that post since the webpages for the LGBTQ school groups look very nice and accepting. :slight_smile:

I'm sorry about your situation, AnonymousGuy. I'm not great with encouragement, but I want to say that I hope you pull through your situation.