1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The word 'gay' being used as an insult

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Inferno, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Inferno

Inferno Guest

At my school people use the word 'gay' or 'faggot' as an insult, it annoys me and makes me realise what other people think of gays/lesbians, and it isn't a good portrayal of the LGBT community. I went up to one of the people that says this to people and asked them why they used it as an insult, his reply was horrible "Because being gay is a bad thing." I think this is terrible as people should understand that the LGBT community are not bad people, infact there are homosexuals in nature, so why can't people accept this?

It annoys me no end that people hate gays, but I guess it is because of society and religion having such an impact on the world today that makes people dislike LGBT people.

2. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Peer-Pressure
    Society
    TV Shows
    Religion (Obviously, but not in all cases)
    They see it as a joke, and not offensive
    Because LGBT people aren't all accepted, so they take that chance to be stupid.
    To 'fit in' with the crowd.
    ...And more.

But it doesn't offend or annoy me, because I won't see them later on in life, and let them be happy until Society changes as a whole.

3. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't believe in restricting free speech.

Additionally, if people use the words "fags" and "gays" in a pejorative way, it's almost always about gay men, not women. Since you're a girl, I don't think you should be miffed about it.

#3 AtheistWorld, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  4. Ruthven

Just because someone's not a part of what the word is speaking of, doesn't mean they can't find it wrong and stuff. I mean, if a white person uses the n-word, I'm gonna be not okay with that, and I'm white.

5. Sparklet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Teens are cruel and stupid, you can't change that. But you can always refuse to accept words like gay or fag as an insult. I've got this friend who's gay and when someone calls him fag he just smiles and says thank you. I think that he's being a bigger person there.

6. sysreq

That's basically what I do. I'll respond with "AND PROUD!!" or "Isst da best insult ya got?"
    My ex-girlfriend (we're still really close) INSISTED that I make her contact name in my phone be "The Bitch," even though we both know it's not true.* I told her I wanted mine to say either"A HUGE FAGGOT" or "Faggot." Should say something about how I feel about the label.

*She's the kind of girl who literally denies her own beauty and hates being called cute. She says that by hating on herself she finds out things she never knew about herself. Huh.
    Her, along with the second-to-last-girl I dated are how I know I'm not completely gay. I'm...how do you say? "Over" both of them, but we're all still friends. I catch 'em, and I keep 'em. LOL JK XD

7. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have been called gay as an insult throughout my entire life. People are like waaaaaaaaaah u gay ahahahahahaha.

Coming from a Muslim community I really don't think Abrahmic religions are the main cause to be honest. I suspect it is to do with masculinity and the society expectation of what a man is supposed to be.

8. WeAreYoung

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Think the meaning of "gay" and "faggot" has kind of changed over time... my brother uses "faggot" a lot but he's been the most accepting of me out of my whole family, he seriously isn't phased by homosexuals whether they be male or female. I wouldn't be happy about being called something if it was meant to be offensive but if it's a close friend who's joking i really dont mind. So for me, it depends on context and who's saying it really.

9. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, no need to call every teen cruel and stupid, considering there are a lot of teens posting on the forums, including myself.
    Personally, I'm not too bothered by it. People have always taken innocuous words and turned them into insults (such as douchebag and nimrod). In fact, the words "gay" and "faggot" themselves originally had nothing to do with homosexuality. They meant "happy" and "cigarette", repsectively.
    It depends on the context. A certain imageboard adresses pretty much everyone as _____fag. It became so ubiquitous that to say someone was homosexual, they had to say "gayfag" or "fagfag". But if someone's using it to make fun of LGBT, then, no. It's not okay anymore.

10. Rainbow Girl

People at my school do that all the time. I can't stand.

11. AmityRanch

Just because someone uses 'gay' as an insult doesn't automatically mean they're intolerant towards gay people.
    If anything I've met the most accepting, kind people out there and they use the word all the time.

Why should I care? They're great people.
    So what if they use a word you don't approve of?

12. GayNerd

Lots of kids at school use Gay as an insult. :frowning2: I just stay silent and/or look down/away. But I basically feel uncomfortable around those kind of people. I'm actually uncomfortable around nearly everyone, but anyways, I just try to avoid those people using Gay as an insult. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It feels like homophobic insults are losing their bite, and I'm not sure whether that's due to increased exposure and acceptance of myself, or the normalization of homosexuality in society, but it really seems like no big deal to me now. Hopefully one day they'll become like the words "woman" or "black"... still of minority groups, with a bit of stigma attached, but also nothing out of the ordinary.

14. Sparklet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I‘m really sorry if my previous post offended anyone! I know that not all teens are like that, still I used a stereotype and that was very hypocritical of me. Sorry:icon_redf :slight_smile:

15. Just Passing

It never offended me. I might be in the minority, but there are far worse things to be insulted with than gay. It's not right, but the majority of the time it's coming from people who are not intending to use it maliciously.