1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the life of me, I can't figure this out.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by justjade, Nov 5, 2013.

1. justjade

OK, so I work mostly with women and some guys. Some of the other guys and I punch each other. What I'm wondering is.....why? We don't do it to hurt each other. It's all in good fun. I'm not out to them, but I don't see them punching any of the girls. I like punching them. I like being punched. It's fun. But why is it fun? Why do I enjoy it? Why do they? And for that matter, why the hell are we doing it? I've seen other guys punch each other, so I figure it's just a guy thing since I'm pretty new to it, but seriously, what is the deal?

Or is that all wishful thinking, and they're really doing it because of some weird attraction like kids in elementary school do?

Any insight is greatly appreciated, and as a note to the staff, if this needs moved, please move it. I wasn't sure where to post this.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the plain truth is...guys are just plain dumb and they do dumb things like punch each other randomly.

Sorry!

3. justjade

I figured it was something like that. I can live with it. It's almost like they're somehow acknowledging my abrasive manliness somehow. :lol:

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Here's what I've heard: it's a way of indirectly exposing weak spots in one another, almost like friendly sparring. Groups of guys operate a lot more like a team or a cohort, and while they might not be huge on verbal affirmation, one positive trait I'll mention when it comes to my guy friends is that most of them are steady; they will be there for you when you need it.

Casual onlookers will see it as being immature or cruel towards one another, when it's not, really. I'll admit not being huge on physical contact, only letting those closest to me get away with rough play, but I have my own version, involving wordplay. Sure, it could subconsciously be a way of flexing the proverbial muscles, establishing rank, and testing the others, but it's generally accepted to the point where I don't even have to ponder it in-depth.

With women, it's different, but when I've "let loose", so to speak, I've gotten some interesting reactions. Social rules seem to be a lot more lax for them in some ways, but in others, not at all. This would be one of those many "guy things" that most don't and may never fully get.

5. Thedistra

I think it is a guy thing. Like my male cousin and I hit each other like that often and have since forever. We were and are like guy pals, so I would say "manliness" has something too do with it. I've never seen him do it to another girl only guys.

6. justjade

That's interesting. Hm.... Yeah, at first, when I was still identifying as female, I always thought it was weird that guys hit each other. But at the same time it intrigued me. I kind of figured it had something to do with testosterone-fueled something-or-other, but I wasn't sure what.

---------- Post added 5th Nov 2013 at 10:06 PM ----------

I see. Yeah, I never see girls hit guys. At least not for fun. I like it though. Being a guy is exciting, even if it means getting punched in the arm. :slight_smile:

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, and here's the thing: if you want to be accepted as one of the guys, it sometimes means shrugging small things off and showing that you are capable. I'm not sure if women have to worry over impressing each other the same way, or to the same extent, but neither male or female seem to like someone who can't take a joke, or "stand the heat" with close friends. It involves a degree of trust too, I suppose.

You don't want to be too compliant, but you also don't want to be a loose cannon. Fitting in is highly tied to capability and respect, qualities one would look for in a leader. It's not terribly difficult to figure out, but it is important to draw the line between friendly ribbing and outright abuse. Competition is sometimes subtle and invisible to others, but breeds familiarity and common ground.

Even a lot of my female friends, who prefer male company and fall under the tomboyish or otherwise "different" category play by these rules, though a bit of testosterone probably doesn't hurt, either!

8. GayNerd

Male stereotype-ish. :lol:

Many guys I see at school do that. But if you like it, continue. :slight_smile:

9. justjade

I really do. In a weird way, it's like a rite of passage into manhood, which is awesome since I didn't get any of that sort of thing earlier. I wasn't raised or socialized male, so this is pretty exciting. I'm pumped. :slight_smile:

10. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My theory is that subconsciously it's a more universally accepted form of physical contact between men, sadly. For many people still, violent behaviour between men (even if joking) is cool, affectionate not so much :frowning2:.

11. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

I have always seen it as a form of alpha male posturing, which I have always been uncomfortable about. Think of it like how dogs in the wild nip and growl at each other to attain rank.

As a guy who is more girly than anything I've always been put off by that kind of stuff, but I'm glad that you are getting into it.

12. Split Arrows

For me it's more just about the enjoyment of being combative. With a few friends, we've gotten into outright fights and wrestling matches just for fun, but I also hang out with boxers and MMA fighters.

I think that for a lot of guys there is an instinctual need to be aggressive and combative and most of the time we don't have an appropriate outlet for it. That's why me and my friends fight; it's a way to let that out and still stay friendly.

13. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I see absolutely no point in it. I hate it when people touch me without my permission. I am too skinny and I always end up feeling pain/bruising - although I don't complain because "that's what pussies do".

GOD I need coffee.

14. Skyline

Yep, it's pretty much a guy thing. I have one male friend and he and I sometimes do that kind of thing. Not often though because I've never been one to get into that kind of behavior.