1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas: Is it really all that important now?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tyrael, Nov 5, 2013.

?

Is Christmas really that important?

1. Yes, it's how I was brought up

19 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. No, buying unwanted gifts for others is pointless

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Yes, but only if you're part of a religious family

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Other view (comment below)

30 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Tyrael

It might just be me, but over the years I've begun to feel more and more that christmas is an utter waste of time and money for many people including myself. My family is protestant but was never really active religiously. I am an atheist, but have been brought up to celebrate christmas the same way that so many non-religious families do.

My query is, is it so wrong to not want christmas? Is it so wrong to feel that it's a waste of our money and energy at a time where so many are struggling with bills etc? If you aren't fundamentally christian, is it really worth it? And is it wrong to go against "the norm"?

2. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it's really wrong, and it's a personal choice for everyone, but I just can't see myself not ever wanting to celebrate Christmas, my family is Catholic, but we've never really made it into anything religious either. I just think it's a nice time, getting to see family, I just love the entire atmosphere, I always look foward to it.

3. Tyrael

I see, maybe it's just that I'm getting bitter in my old age lol. And I would argue that the reason I only see these family members once a year is because we kinda don't like each other that much lol. It's more like a big acting performance, a sham to keep up appearances. I guess it just bugs me lol.

4. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

You should find some Jewish friends. For us it's traditionally a day to eat Chinese food and then go to the movies.

5. Tyrael

Now that sounds more like it! Heck I'd probably be disowned by my family if I turned round an said "cancel christmas, I'm not arsed".

6. Jonathan

I've always liked the family element of Christmas and how it's one of the few times of year that everyone gets together. I could do without the extravagant gift giving that comes with it (smaller but more personal gifts would be better in my opinion than all the vast expensive material things that normally are bought).

I'm also very very annoyed by how everyone is always rushing Christmas. I mean, I saw two Christmas commercials before even Halloween...come on. It's a fun time of year, but it has it's place in December.

7. Tyrael

I couldn't agree more. It's sometimes nice to see the whole family, but I could live without the gift giving because let's be honest, almost everyone could do without having to buy this stuff every year. I hardly saw any Halloween decorations this year, seemed to skip straight to the christmas stuff lol.

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright, I put "other" so here's my take:

In the world we live in, all of it, we're so caught up in everything that we do that we WANT to give the people closest to us the best that we can give them, should we choose to. But the thing is, we can't. Responsibility takes over time after time again, and as we beat ourselves up for procrastinating or not getting something done right, we also miss each possible opportunity to give the best to our family and friends. But even if we took that opportunity, that one opportunity might cost someone a job, whatever it may be. And then that becomes circular once they CAN'T give the best to their family.

So honestly? I think Christmas has its place, no matter what your religion is, if you have one. We're still human beings, and we still live on this planet. Nobody's life is for forever, and I really do think everybody as human beings needs that opportunity to give the best they can to the people they love.

9. Ruthven

Nothing wrong with going against the norm. I mean I'm fine with doing Christmas(not religious though), I like getting together with my brother and mum, but I wish there was no gift stuff involved. I'm more interested in the family time. I tried to tell my mum not to get me anything last year, but she didn't listen. I really don't need gifts and I feel like it kinda is unnecessary money spending.

10. Zac

Zac

I hate Christmas....
    But every year we get together and celebrate, forced to unfortunately.
    Though this year I'm only going to buy presents for my parents and my pets

11. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I see it as merely another holiday, but a bloody good excuse to get the family together and enjoy a nice dinner.
    Oh, and my cousins getting drunk. They're hilarious.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's important to remember to love the people in your life, and to keep the spirit of giving alive.

That and presents/getting schwasted on mom's cookies.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The irony of spending the holiday devoted to the man who deplored greed, waste, and the love of money in buying extravagant gifts (and expecting them in return) and stuffing ourselves senseless is rather annoying.

Can we remember Christ (if we're Christian), or at least the teachings of modesty, love, family, and genuine generosity rather than getting drunk, buying pointless baubles and eating more turkey than any human should?

14. Sarcastic Luck

Christmas started out as a pagan holiday. Christ's birth was moved in order to help convert said pagans.

15. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope. As a first world person born to a wealthy family, I try to eat as little from the platter as I can. I'll tell my mother to buy me a notepad if she feels bad about not getting me anything. For her gift, I will write her a letter, but I won't buy anything for anyone.

And SL, what you're saying isn't new; everyone knows that. It's as common knowledge as the sun rising in the east, setting in the west, and being a star.

16. Sarcastic Luck

Actually, no, not everyone knows that.

17. Siarad

18. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    You're right. Most people with a high school education know though.

19. Sarcastic Luck

Perhaps where you're from. Though, I've ran across plenty of people who were adults, had a highschool education, and didn't know.

20. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm from Colorado, but I live in a neighboring state now. You're from the midwest, so I think what accounts for the ignorance is that religion predominates there, so they try to suppress the truth, because in their eyes it's anti-Christian to know the truth.