1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

black neighborhoods and white neighborhoods?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by redneck, Nov 6, 2013.

1. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was in college (about 15 years ago) I remember one of my social studies professors saying that Ft. Smith was pretty unique because most cities have areas divided by ethnic groups, but we are ethnically mixed and divided by economic groups. This is the second time I have lived here and it seems to be true.

So I wandering if the area u live in is more divided by race or by economic class? ( I understand there may be a few white familys in the 'black' part of town but the overall population of the area would be mostly black) Basically I was just wandering if he was right that this area is fairly unique or if this is more common in todays world.

2. Data

Data Guest

Tucson is kind of divided by class. Middle class lives around the central part of town, poor lives in the south and east, rich lives in the northwest and far eastern area.

When Katrina hit the South, we got a sizeable black population that moved here. Also, there is a sizeable ethnic-African black population that comes from Sudan (I believe) and both of those groups live in the poor section of town.

Primarily, Tucson is White and Hispanic. There are tons of rich/poor of both in town.

3. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    The area I live in now is a trailer park but it's upscale and sought after in total contrast to the rest of them. I live in a diverse city and the neighborhood I live in is a reflection of that.

My mother bought a really nice townhouse with a terrace and everything. It's probably one of the nicest neighborhoods in the entire city. Across the street from her, there are some really nice mansions, some of which go for a million dollars, and a couple blocks away the blocks are dotted by duplexes, so the neighborhood is a weird mix of upper class, upper middle class (like my family) and working class. My side of the neighborhood had some Hispanic families, but the majority consisted of well-off white folks, while the duplexes seemed to be evenly divided with whites and hispanics.

The east side is far more conservative, it's filled with middle class and upper class whites, and the non-whites who do live there tend to only live in the apartments. The south part of the city is mostly where the Hispanics and the blacks live. I live in one of the few southern areas that isn't considered "ghetto" as it's towards the end of the city, nearing the suburbs.

Overall, the city is divided among race and class, but I have noticed that there are a lot of whites living in the "ghetto."

#3 AtheistWorld, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  4. Hexagon

Primarily divided by class. I don't think there is much ethnic diversity in the posh areas, but everywhere else there is. I live in an area with a bit of a mix when it comes to class, really. I go to college in a more deprived area, and it infuriates my parents. Which I like doing :slight_smile:.

5. Hrantou

There's a small community in my city that is known for having only white, and racist people living in it. And to be honest, it's pretty much true. I avoid that part of town as do my other friends who aren't white. Some see it as just a stereotype of the area...but facts are facts. Most colored people in my city avoid it, even in the year 2013. It has a history of being "whites only" from the old days when colors mattered, and that legacy still endures in the people who live there.

Other then that, We have our rich and poor neighborhoods like any other city. And for the most part, we are pretty equally mixed and economically different...there's just that one part of town we avoid.

6. I live in the San Gabriel Valley, where it is mainly Asian. Most towns have an Asian majority, followed by latinos, and then White people.

Our towns aren't divided by "white neighborhoods" or "black neighborhoods" or "Asian neighborhoods." Rosemead is mainly Asian (Chinese and Vietnamese) and Mexican or Central American.

7. DrkRayne

Michigan is really segregated. Really really segregated. I'm black, my partner is French/Lebanese and we live in a predominately white area.
    We have cities like Detroit that are 80% black, Livonia and Bloomfield which are about 90% (89.1 to be exact) white and Dearborn which is predominately Arab.
    One city that was mixed is Hamtramck, but its become almost entirely Arab, Albanian and Indian, with the white community moving out.
    Its just so segregated here.
    Were moving to Bloomfield to have and raise our children and its really scary to think they will probably be in the very very minority being Black/Arab and having two moms, but they have the best schools.

okay yeah I just read. We live on the edge of Shelby Township/Utica..which is 92% white. Eeek no wonder people look at me funny.

#7 DrkRayne, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Our town is pretty ethnically diverse... the first settlers were Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Armenian, and Japanese.. now dominated by Mexican, Hmong, Punjabi, Ethiopian, Russian, and dozens of other groups. In my part of town, we have Caucasians, Asians, Hispanics, and African Americans, with maybe a slight Hispanic and Asian majority. More telling is the TYPE of people you find: here it's mostly SEA refugees, "hick" type whites, and illegal immigrants, for example, while in the North, it's more preppy white and Japanese, Korean, Chinese.

You could say we're living in the armpit of an armpit, but my family has been here for three generations, and it's always felt familiar. I live in a middle class neighborhood, but not far away we have our run down apartments and projects, so again, it's pretty diverse. Our county fair is held not far from here, actually, so you get people from all over town and surrounding communities flooding the streets every Fall.