1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The word "homophobic"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Geek, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I never really understood the word homophobic.

1. phobia means "an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something". Are you scared of gay people like people are afraid of clowns? No! You're just being a bigoted asswipe.
    2. homo means "the same" and is used as a derogatory way of saying homosexual. Why is it okay to have the word homophobia be used in our language? You don't here people saying dykeophobia or niggerphobia.
    3. If you put the two together you have the fear of things that are the same. If you think about it, things that are same are typically normal. so why would you be against things that are the same? Are you against iPads always having the same design? No! The word simply doesn't make sense

What do you guys think. Do you think society should come up with a new term for asshole?

2. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well for one thing, I think its homophobic because saying homosexualphobic is just a long word.

3. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    but it's not a fear either though. Phobia is implying that you're afraid. You don't call a racist a blackphobic

4. WindSong

WindSong Guest

Hate stems from fear. Homophobes and racists share that much in common. But with education and growing awareness, some of their negative thought processes and behavior can be remediated.

5. Saint Otaku

Words are merely symbols of interpretation. There a many words that, by etymology, have meanings that no longer make correlative sense ^.^

6. justjade

Indeed. And there are words that are etymologically correct, but they aren't used. Language is weird.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Homophobia" is easy and sort of technical-sounding, but it is the scientific term for "being the particular kind of dick who hates gays." They may have some sort of revulsion to gayness, but it's not like any other phobia. It's one people decide to have.

8. Ridiculous

Hydrophobic compounds aren't actually afraid of water.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But they do push it away so are afraid in a poetic sense. They also happen to be wicked awesome.

10. Ridiculous

Well no different to homophobia then :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

11. sammy1

I myself do not like the term homophobic because people do not fear us...it's not a phobia people are just ignorant assholes...simple as that! :slight_smile: honestly I wish that term didn't exist because it is incorrect.

---------- Post added 6th Nov 2013 at 08:14 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
    "It's one people decide to have" :eusa_clap couldn't have said that better myself!

#11 sammy1, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  12. GayNerd

This problem actually did arise in class.

One day, we were talking about the word homophobic (the group I'm in needed to explain a word ending with phobic, don't ask why homophobic :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) and the definition of homophobic, and mt friend 'B' explained fear of Gay people. I had later pointed out fear OR hatred of Gay people.

The story is pretty irrelevant, but just kinda amusing. :lol: Long story short, homophobic means fear or hatred of Gay people.

13. lukeluvznicki13

I think that homophobia has just become a generalised term when people say negative or just take negative action against homosexuals. In most cases it is not that people are scared to death or anything.

I think all the stereotyping, discrimination and other negatives all go back to this term: homophobia

14. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just the word makes no sense.

15. Ridiculous

Only if you're speaking Greek.

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, think about it. Most straight men (the largest demographic who are homophobic) are actually scared.

Insecure about their status as masculine, worried that they'll be outcasts if they fail to fill the social criteria, fearing their world being turned upside down if the male/female boundaries aren't obeyed.

Scared

To put it more accurately, most homophobia is an extension of misogyny. So "gynophobia" might be the best term: the fear of femininity/women.

17. Spaceman

I agree "phobic" isn't the best suffix for the word. The more accurate ending would be "ist" as in racist or sexist to donate someone who discriminates against a particular group. But alas, homoist just doesn't have the right ring to it.

18. Hexagon

It wouldn't fit the pattern anyway. You don't say 'womanist', you say sexist, so the more appropriate term would be sexualityist, but that doesn't sound any better anyway. And in fact, I think 'ist' means in favor of.

More to the point, we can't get a word to describe every connotation of homophobia. Words don't do that. They aren't long enough. They're just labels. We associate certain words with certain concepts and we're in agreement about what the word homophobia means. No one is going to argue that 'homophobia' means fear of things that are the same, because we all know it means hatred of those who are attracted to the same sex.

19. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it might have come from a time when people were more understanding of homophobes and instead of calling them arsehole haters decided to describe them as just scared of gays.

20. Ruthven

That sounds so...groovy. :sunglasses: