1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQPIA Views in India

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Snixx, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Snixx

Snixx Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hello, EC. Hopefully somebody does decide to read this and answer my question; but I was wondering what exactly the views are of those of deviant sexual orientation of what's considered 'normal'? In society, in politics, in religion, etc.

I know gay sex was illegal until 2009, and even that change only happened because the United Nations appealed (so that STD exchange may be delimited). The concepts of sex and sexuality are taboo in Indian society as it is, so I can understand why LGBTQPIA is relatively hush-hush — I've seen photos of protests against the law change at times, too. As a closeted Indian boy myself, one of Hindu beliefs, I was wondering whether the forum had any ideas and knowledge in that area?

Thoughts about the views of such things in Hinduism would be appreciated, also.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Snixx, sorry nobody has answered you yet. I do not know much on this but have been to India twice in last 2 years.

What I do know is that before we ( British) messed up the Indian society and imposed our ill judged laws on India, it was a very different place and much more tolerant of sexual diversities.

Even today transsexuals are seen in public and tolerated - albeit marginalised

There was an interesting programme on it by Stephen fry a few weeks ago . If you look up Stephen fry " out there" - programme 2 on youtube you'll see it and enjoy it

#2 bingostring, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  3. freeskies

Hi Snixx! I am a closeted gay Indian too! So HI FIVE! :icon_bigg

As Bingostring pointed out in his reply, ancient Hindu societies were more tolerant of sexual diversity. This was way before colonization began to take shape and the draconian Victorian laws were imposed. The sad fact is even to this day some of these archaic British laws are still in effect.

My explanation may not be very accurate since i did most my look up and research from Wikipedia. Check up "sexuality" and "homosexuality" in ancient India on Wikipedia.

As for your so called "what's considered 'normal'? " question goes, it is my understanding that homosexuality was never considered normal just like how left-handedness was never considered normal. But now we know through science that we are just as different as anyone else :icon_wink

I came across this beautiful line which comes from early vedic texts:
    "Vikruti Evam Prakriti"

It means perversity/diversity is what nature is all about, or, what seems un-natural is also natural.

--source Wikipedia

So the take away is that everything is just normal :icon_bigg

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was visiting relatives in Kerala a few years ago (actually it might have been 2005/2006), I was very surprised to find a newspaper article talking about gay people and homosexuality. I mainly think that tolerance will increase due to the large young population and also the exposure of Western countries and their examples of things like gay marriage and other things as not being detrimental to society.

5. freeskies

India has a very long way to go before acceptance for diverse sexuality becomes a reality.
    That said, as far as i know Kerala happens to be one of those progressive states so it doesn't come as a surprise to me that they openly discuss homosexuality.

The more disturbing thing is that most of my highly educated friends still find homosexuality to be absurd, filthy and almost comical :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So ya, India and Indians have a very long way to go ........