1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Marriage, Coming Out etc

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Minnie, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Minnie

I don't know about any of you but it bugs the hell out of me that there's such a big deal about "coming out" - maybe it's just me, but it the expectation that gays should "come out", like it's a right of passage or something, makes me feel different, but not in a good way. Also, when I watch promotional videos about pro-gay marriage, it just makes me feel... stressed? Anxious? Just that something which should be in place but isn't is getting so much attention. Yes, it's a big deal, but I feel so horrible when there's this need for so much publicity and campaigning for something that should make people equal, and again, it makes me feel awkwardly different. Does anyone else feel like this?

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you trying to say that you don't want to be seen as different? If so I get what you mean. I don't think it should be called "gay marriage" I think it should be called marriage. I also don't see why we should have to come out and it be a big deal. Why can't I just bring home a boyfriend one day and no one bat a eyelid.

3. Minnie

Pretty much, yeah. That said, I sometimes like to be seen as different but not for my sexuality, but for my personality and avoiding people and being in my own world :slight_smile:

4. timo

And that's why I only told 4 people directly. After that I stopped coming out and started being gay, and if others wondered about me they're free to ask. Everyone knows about my orientation now but it's not because I directly told them. It is no big deal and I don't want to be viewed as "something different" so why would I place emphasis on being gay?

Yeah, my ideal future doesn't have the traditional "coming out" and people can just be who ther are. Or as one of my classmates did: he never came out, but one day changed his FB relationship status to "in a relationship with [guy name]". Most people didn't care that he was with another guy.

About the gay marriage thing - in my country it has been legal for same sex partners to get married for almost 13 years now and even after all that time it's still referred to as "gay marriage" by everyone.