1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Marching Band Members?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Daveed0318, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Daveed0318

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm curious to see if anyone out there is in marching band for their school/community/university. What instrument do you play? How long have you been in band?

This is my third year in my high school's band. I am head drum major, and also play trumpet.

2. Mr Bubbles

Well, I was in the marching band up until this year. I was in band for 5 years (3 years in middle school, 2 years in high school). I played the bassoon but since you can't march with it, they made me march with the flute. I found it extremely boring to pretend to play the flute and time consuming so I quit. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed playing the bassoon, I just really didn't like marching.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was in the marching band for 4 years (4 years in high school, 1 in college). My main instrument is trombone, but I also play baritone. I marched with baritone, because I would've killed somebody if I marched with a trombone. Plus, my high school did not let trombones march until after I graduated high school.

I quit after 1 year of college because I kept hurting my knee. I also quit because I wanted to work filming the football games and other sports events.

4. drewsaysrawr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I play oboe and saxaphone. Freshmen. And im probably doing gaurd next year.

5. Hrantou

I did marching band for 4 years straight in high school, but before that I played in bands since I was in 4th grade. I played the saxophone and in high school I played the Baritone Sax.

I won't lie though, I sucked at marching. I could play the songs with ease, but remembering on where to go, while playing the song, and staying in step and making sure you move at the right time? Too much for my simple brain :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Teacher always hated me because I was either in step and moving right, but the song was off, or visa versa. I still had fun with it though :slight_smile:

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if you count pipe bands, I'm in a grade 5 band that intends to start competition next season... (Playing pipes, of course)

7. LongMayIReign

Flute and piccolo. 7 years on flute and a year on piccolo. ( I can do a bit of cello and piano too) Anyone else have to wear the feather plumes on their hats for uniform?

8. Projectfabulous

I just finished my 3rd season of Band :slight_smile: I'm a Junior and I play the saxophone!

9. Daveed0318

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So many bandies!!! :grin: That's wonderful! I hope all of your seasons went well. :slight_smile:

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I marched as flute for freshman year, but I stopped and later did concert band (and orchestra) as oboe. I couldn't handle the time commitment with my class load. This probably also had to do with going to a "6A" school, the size of the largest schools in the state and thus very competitive since all the school bands had large numbers of competent students. I think part of the reason I didn't stay was that we didn't even make it to the finals of any marching competition, which was sad (we always got superiors for concert band competitions).

That said, I really liked the camaraderie of marching, especially since we got to meet so many kids from other schools across the state and go to and host competitions. A large percentage of my facebook friends are from band/orchestra. Also, marching really made you involved in the school spirit events like free access to all the football games; though, playing flute in the winter was a challenge (we had "hobo gloves", which had the fingers cut off so we could touch the keys well).

11. purplekitty

I've played flute since 6th grade, so about 8 years now. I did pep band in middle school and did marching band in high school. For my senior year I played piccolo, although I would have rather played the alto flute. Unfortunately, almost no one writes music for that instrument, unless there is a flute quartet. I was section leader for my junior and senior year, which was fun and stressful. I haven't been in marching band for the last two years, but that's because my community college has a poor music program. I hope to do it again when I transfer.

Resu, I can relate to what you said. I too have mostly bandies as Facebook friends. And those "hobo gloves" were terrible. The ice cold metal sucked the heat right out of the fingers! The only good thing was that I could fit some hand warmers through the thumb holes to warm up the palms of my hands.

12. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a provisional drummer boy in a Napoleonic reenactment group. Does that count? I've been in this post since July, and I still don't get the rolls straight.

13. Tic Code

I just finished my fourth and final season of high school marching band (I'm a senior). Kinda sad about it :frowning2: but hopefully I'll be coming back to staff over the summer. I was the Section Leader of the Saxophone section, I play Alto Sax as my main instrument, but for three years in a row before this year I was also featured on Soprano Sax.

Depending on where I go to college, I'll probably do marching band there as well.

14. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All through jr high and high school. baritone. But played bassoon in the orchestra and concert bands. Bassoon doesn't march too well :slight_smile: