1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Californians are rude?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Nov 7, 2013.

1. I've reestablished a connection with my relatives from Brooklyn because my family lost contact with them after they have moved to the US from Vietnam.

I got the opportunity to skype with my NY cousins for once and got to know them. Afterwards, they said,"Huh, I thought you'd be more stuck-up." Yeah, I was pretty surprised.

That got me wondering, do non-californians find Californians rude stuck-up, especially SoCal citizens? I kinda because SoCal has Hollywood, San Marino, Bel-Air, Newport Beach, etc. but does that provide a misconception about us?

2. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm originally from East LA and while I was living there I didn't think people were rude but I moved to Tennessee and have been living in TN for 7 years now. Every summer I go back to California and realize just how rude people are there. I guess I've gotten used to most people having southern hospitality.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up in CA and find myself missing KY more and more each time I go back to see family

4. Gen

Gen

Californians are certainly not rude, and FUCK anyone who says otherwise!

Seriously though, what is considered socially acceptable is extremely subjective. Americans in general have a very crass and sarcastic sense of humor. Some areas plausibly more than others, but it isn't simply that one area is more rude than others, only that certain areas have a different understanding of the use of words. Similar to how learning English and moving to America is often an extreme culture shock as friends could throw insults at each other in a similar fashion that another individual might out of aggression, but recognizing the importance of context and social understanding in the various societies of the world means everything to truly making sense of what is going on.

They probably thought you were going to be stuck-up, because Californians are often stereotyped as wealthy, materialistic, vain, etc, because we have LA, SF, SD. We are either surfers or pretentious rich kids. Also, you can't really compare the level of kindness in LA or New York to that of the rest of the US, because they are major cities. Major cities in every country are often considered to be a bit more rude because: One, you have a large amount of people in a small area so your percentage of people that would be rude or aggressive will always be statistically higher; Two, major cities are far more fast paced on average so disputes are slightly more likely than a calmer suburban environment.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think one can make generalizations about California, because it's such an enormous state with such diversity.

I think if you hang out a lot in parts of LA and Orange County, you'll find a ton of really stuck-up, shallow, image-obsessed people that aren't the nicest bunch... but you'll find people that behave the same way in almost any other location in the country as well.

On the other hand, there are many parts of California that are full of really sweet, kind, generous and polite people as well.

I once had some guy try to tell me that "all Canadians are party animals." When I tried to pin him down, I asked what his sample size was, and he first claimed it was "several hundred" but when I asked more details, it turned out his "sample" was one party he went to with a bunch of Canadians who were all friends, visiting the states together. I think when you read about any of these generalizations, that's often what you have.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Chip, there are also some serious jerks in San Francisco's swanky areas, and in Marin County, the Peninsula, and the East Bay, mostly in affluent suburbs. Add La Jolla, down San Diego way, to the list. That's where Mitt and Ann Romney make their home. Need I go on?

Agreed that, in most other parts of California, and even in medium-sized cities, people are actually friendlier than the average American. I think it's because everyone is from somewhere else, it seems. The only cities which defy this is places that are dicey and are depressed, like Stockton.

I've heard this assertion about Californians' friendliness from people visiting from other states and other countries. It's called a sunny disposition. Once out of the hustle and bustle areas, California can be very relaxing and the people can be very laid-back.

7. Data

Data Guest

Between Tucson folk and San Diego & LA folk, yes I find the Californians a little more rude/stuck up. Shoot me, but that's what I find. People in Boston (my hometown) are much more rough around the edges then people in Tucson. You'll be hard pressed to find someone hold a door for you in Bean Town.

I've been to San Diego and LA, but I just don't like it there.

8. Harve

REALLY now.

As a British person I strongly object to this statement.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, Data, what do you mean about Bostonians? I've heard they're a tough nut to crack, as in difficult to befriend. When I visited, I either got aloof, stiff upper lip people or people who were real nice and easy to chat up, as in wanting to talk.

---------- Post added 7th Nov 2013 at 06:06 PM ----------

I think an American would be offended by this more so than someone from the UK. If you've observed Americans, and how they act in Europe, that's a good preview as to how unfiltered they can be.

The British tend to have more polish, except for some rough working class segments, and their sense of humor is far drier.

In the States, the crassness varies by area - from real low and unacceptable in some areas to real prevalent in other areas.

I'm American, and I find none of this offensive. It's a fun topic.

#9 Tightrope, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  10. Sitri

That's the stereotype of everywhere with a high population. Californians are rude, New Yorkers are rude etc. I suppose it has some logical reasons. If you live in an area with a lot of people, it's hard to be friendly to a random stranger when you see hundreds every day.

11. Gen

Gen

I'm not saying the British don't. I actually think that is one of the places both of us are on the same page. Though if you weren't used to that type of humor, you would think we are always angry. Lol

12. Hrantou

Hey! F*ck off!

Hahah. Just kidding. Being a native californian I get the feeling they were talking specifically about SOUTHERN californians. I feel like we have that stuck-up "Hollywood" stereotype that we're all assholes out to make money off of stupid people and anyone nice can go f*ck themselves.

And to be honest, its about half true. I've traveled to many places and I've met the most rude people here in SoCal, but we also have very nice people that you don't meet anywhere else.

So I'd say its somewhat true, but not as bad as the stereotype might suggest.

13. Harve

Indeed, of course I wasn't actually offended (and also more referring to the sarcastic part) - I was being tongue-in-cheek!

I'm getting totally off-topic but I've watched Saturday Night Live but not understood its humour at all, but Parks and Recreation is really popular and easy to understand over here, particularly for its deadpan characters. Likewise, I don't really understand why my mainland-European friends burst out laughing at surreal humour.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right. There are so many characters and quirky people who are a lot of fun and who you wouldn't meet in a lot of places in the U.S. In some other parts of the states, they would keep their quirkiness under wraps. And these people are just ordinary people, and not people who are putting on the quirkiness to differentiate themselves while awaiting stardom.

Well said.

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A New Yorker calling Californians rude? That's rich.

I'd honestly say where I'm from, the people have more in common with rustic folks from small, rural Midwestern or Southern communities. SoCal in general seems a lot more laid back, with some parts shallow, but with Hollywood in such close proximity, who could blame them?

Our state is far too diverse to stereotype that way, especially with the number of immigrants we get from just about everywhere. That said, I love living here; maybe it's something in the soil...

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a Montanan, I haven't had much occasion to meet Californians. My father grew up in L.A., but he's a nice guy. I have only met one "rude" Californian, and I would describe him more as a charming, but a little too bro-ish personality. My sample is always going to be small and not sufficiently random to make a prediction about whether individuals from California are more or less rude than the median American, if we can measure rudeness...

17. Silver Sparrow

I think it's a stereotype of every major city.

18. mpac21

Well truth be told, I am from Wisconsin so pretty much a lot of us find any American not from Wisconsin to be rude from what I've heard....:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (We get on well with Canadians mostly haha) of course I take that with a grain of salt nonetheless :slight_smile:

19. Data

Data Guest

Well, back in Boston there just wasn't an underlying sense of decency like there is here. You put a kitchen chair out front of your 3 family home to save your parking spot. If someone moved the chair and parked there, they'd come back to find their car on blocks missing its rims.

When my neighbor had his daughter move in, her dog stayed outside all day and night barking. My mom called animal control and told them to come shut it up. The neighbor got a ticket for disturbing the peace. He sat out in the middle of his front lawn and stopped every person who lived on the street to question them. When he got to my mom, he asked if she called. She said "You bet your fucking ass I called them. Take that fucking dog inside and shut it up or I'll toss a bag of antifreeze soaked kibble over your fucking fence. I gotta work at 3AM and all I hear is that fucking dog." He turned red and started yelling and screaming, and she just told him "Stay on your side of the fence asshole."

We went to the YMCA and usually at every visit someone tried to steal someone else's spot and ended up with slashed tires.

That's just how life was in Boston. You're looking out for yourself and your family, and fuck everyone else.

I always say please and thank you. In Boston, you don't need manners. :slight_smile: They won't get you anywhere.

20. edgy

edgy Guest

Cali people aren't as down to earth. Forget about downtown LA. We aren't know to be nice but we'll give driving directions (noot repeating them). It also depends on different ppl. some are nicer than others. But i would say he majority isn't very nice.