1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Professions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fan of Tessen, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Fan of Tessen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I noticed that a lot (not all just a lot) of people tend to go crazy for these skinny boy band types, and I always wondered why that is. On the outside I look no different from them; I’m skinny, youthful looking, have decent hair, etc. The only real difference is that they sing for a living and I’m just a sculptor.

Sometimes I can’t help but feel that people with certain professions are preferred for over others. Some of the professions that come to mind are fireman, policeman, doctor, singer, dancer, actor, chefs, etc.

My question for everyone is: If there were two people that you really liked, would you choose one over the other simply because of their profession? (especially if it’s one I mentioned above)...

2. Saint Otaku

Dunno, haven't had a boyfriend yet! As long as he loves what he's doing, and I love him, than that's all that matters! ^.^

(Although, as a side note, I find artsy-fartsy people, such as yourself as a sculptor, to be very admirable)

3. Ticklish Fish

What's a sculptor? lol

and well, maybe because boy bands are popular I guess?

4. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I wouldn't let their profession dictate which person I would choose. Having a good job is important but there are other aspects that I would look at rather than profession. I look more into the type of person they are and how they make me feel.

A sculptor is someone who makes art out of wood, stone, and metal etc.

#4 angel626, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  5. Fan of Tessen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Saint Otaku
    haha you and me are in the same I haven't had a boyfriend yet either, but I like your answer.
    lol n thanks

@Ticklish Fish
    Sculptors are artist who make sculptures, like with clay, wood, stone, etc.

6. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, profession doesn't really matter much when it comes to being in a relationship. Who they are as a person is far more important.

7. starfish

The only time someones profession would matter is if their work schedule made it difficult to see each other, though that is mostly a practical matter.

I'm an engineer. Not exactly up there on the hotness scale.

8. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I actually don't find singers attractive. They make weird faces.

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would always choose a sculptor over a boy band type. A sculptor has to be thoughtful and be a visionary to imagine what can be shaped out of a raw material.

Definitely there are some professions that have stereotypes precisely because people of certain personalities gravitate toward them, but there are always exceptions. Also, remember that certain professions, especially entertainers, just seem popular because they are much more visible.

10. Fan of Tessen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    wow never really thought of what I do like that, that was really nice thanks ^_^

and lol MrAllMonday

11. Hexagon

If the profession was literally the only distinguishing factor. I'd choose someone who I thought was doing good in the world. In reality, someone (doing something they like, anyway) is likely to have their profession influenced by their personality.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given that I want to be a public servant, I'd want a man who's in a different field.

Education does play a role, too. I'd prefer university-educated (when I'm older), and able to bring in money. So if I had to choose between two men I liked equally, but one was a doctor and the other a cleaner, I'd probably choose the doctor. But that's not for money; if I had to choose between a multi-million dollar football player and a doctor, I'd still choose the doctor (if I liked them equally).

13. Dia

Dia

Well, the profession that one chooses to do, is a part of who one is. But it doesn't define them!
    For me it's all about the bond I share with the person I'm interested in. But let's say that there is chemistry with both of these people. So if, for instance I had to choose between them I'd choose the one who has more similarities with me including one's profession. So I guess they should be at least into science and stuff!! :wink:

14. Awkward Balloon

Well it is hard to deny that a fireman is, in my imagination at least, a very attractive job. It's not actually the job that's attractive, more the kind of person it requires.

But honestly a person's profession is of no importance to me as long as it doesn't involve anything harmful. (To living things.)

15. justjade

Not simply for his profession, no. I've been divorced, so I've learned not to depend on how much money the other person makes. But if I did choose the one with the better job, it would be because I like him better as a person.

Besides, I work in fast food. I'm in no position to talk.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's impossible to say without knowing and seeing the person. Your list is interesting in that I can't see a commonality among the types - some are macho types, some are nose to the grindstone bookish types, and some are disciplined creative types.

I'll tell you that a lot of firemen and policemen are hot, and it's even when they're out of uniform. Good looking men tend to choose those occupations. Another one is contractors and subcontractors. They often have a certain look. However, after any prolonged conversation, there would be not much in common.

I'll tell you what occupation I generally cannot stand: it's doctors. And I'm fine with my doctor. It's peers who are doctors. They were really cliquish while in pre-med in college and, in adult life, they only want to seem to hang around with other medical types, and act like they're slumming it when they hang out with other types, even if they are white collar. I'm white collar.

Sometimes, in just kind of hanging out, one might run into a sexual encounter with someone. I've had a couple of them with doctors. I've had blue collar guys who were very cool before AND after, and also with people who were college educated, while the doctors get to this real aloof place once they've gotten off. I was once on vacation and a doctor who was about 2 years younger than me and staying at my hotel chatted me up and asked me to go for a beer. I went with him. He drank two or three or four. I nursed one drink. He then started reading my palm. Back at the hotel and going up the stairs, he asked me if I wanted to go to his room and drink some wine with him. I said no. It was based on those past experiences.

I've got a friend who is a blue collar guy, but really, really smart, and he doesn't like most white collar guys because they have a lot of hangups. I sort of see why he thinks that. I didn't used to.

I guess the answer is mostly no. I think that a white collar guy with a job with a hefty salary would be a supreme pain. I think that a working class guy might be too hard to relate to over the long-term. I think that someone who went to college and just has a regular job or career is probably a better fit, but I'm not exactly looking. I'm just replying to the thread.

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2013 at 08:49 PM ----------

It's not just because they have to deal with fire, but they are generally hotter than hell, looks wise. That's why they sell calendars.