1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearly Got Gay Bashed, freaking out

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

I have been out for a year, and I am just starting to get to terms with my sexuality.

Anyway I have a boyfriend in a committed relationship and one day we gave each other a hug outside TFL on Parliament St. This guy on the other side of the street then suddenly started yelling homophobic abuse at us, profanities saying we are worthy of death etc. and then lobbed an empty beer bottle at us (someone must have dumped it or more likely he has been drinking.)

Anyway we ran back inside the place, I didn't call the gardai or anything and there was no security on the TFL, I wonder if I should have called the Gardai or something, but I was pretty much in tears at this point since its the first time in 23 years I have suffered homophobia and my bf (a few years older) had to calm me down

2. Saint Otaku

Just the sad fact of the reality we live in. I hope you feel better; you're very lucky to have a caring boyfriend, and I wish you two both safety and happiness :slight_smile:

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hope you're feeling better! Always best to call the cops in such cases, that person is likely to re-offend, and throwing bottles at people is likely to cause injury.

4. Englishlad

I am sorry to hear that and hope your feeling better. The man who hurled abuse at you and your boyfriend is an idiot and a lout.

5. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know how you feel. There are people that have sworn at me in public. I even had food thrown at me. I suspect it was because they knew I was gay or something to do with my sexuality.

It may take a couple of days to move on from it.

Invader Zim - GIR Guess Who Made Waffles! - YouTube

^ Here is a funny video. It might cheer you up.

6. Aussir

We're talking about the Gardaí... I lived in Ireland and the Gardaí is about as useless as a rotten sock. They would pop there 2 or 3 hours later if they felt like it and wouldn't lift a finger.

Ireland is, unfortunately, still too rooted in its Church ways and beliefs and it will take a while until it opens up, even if the Government is starting to push the Church away from politics and forcing equality laws.

We're talking about a country where people took the time to go cover up Rihanna's posters with random clothes because... skin and boob... :dry:

I found that Cork was way better in that regard than Dublin... perhaps because Cork is a massive international hot pot due to all the foreign companies that are there and need people from all over the world working there, and its University.

7. Miss Loopy

Take them on. Honest to God, chances are they'll back down.

8. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)

Luckily I'm quite a big guy and my boyfriend is an ex-bouncer too... I had to physically hold him back from beating the living crap out of a man who told me that he'd beat me up if I told his wife to "fuck off" again (she made a snide comment about us hugging and holding hands).

9. Beware Of You

Actually thats not 100% true, the Gardai have LGBT liaison officers now, I reported it to one of them.

The opinion polls for the same sex marriage are showing a strong support for it. The vatican is loosing a lot of influence now, mostly due to the insanity that has come from them in the past couple of years. Dublin is as good as Cork, we have TCD here (where I work) which is world renowned, Google, Intel, Microsoft etc. Dublin Pride is the biggest festival after St. Paddys day.

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2013 at 11:35 PM ----------

What if he had a knife, Ireland has a knife crime problem. I don't fancy ending up bleeding out on the floor.

#9 Beware Of You, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  10. Aussir

And that's a good thing. However, the problem isn't the liaisons and the good officers... it's the useless blobs that sometimes appear on our doorsteps...

Like I said, it's changing and it's about time. I think one of the biggest kicks was when that pregnant lady died.

Cork has all the translation offices for a bunch of companies and I found almost more foreigners than Irish people in Cork. I can tell you that in Big Fish (the one that closed recently), there was maybe a hand full of Irish. The rest of the employees were from all over the world.

That I actually wouldn't know because I'm honestly not interested in the Parade.

Overall, it's good that things are changing there but due to how long the church had a foot there, it will take a couple more years for things to start moving properly.

Here's to hoping that Ireland tells the church to stick their noses in their own business and leaves the government and its people alone.

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2013 at 11:35 PM ----------

What if he had a knife, Ireland has a knife crime problem. I don't fancy ending up bleeding out on the floor.[/QUOTE]

11. Hrantou

This is kind of my opinion. Most of the time they will back down, or they will fight so I'm prepared to take them on as well. But that's just me. I get tired of running away in the dark like a scared dog every time a bible thumper threatens me. If they want to fight for their stupid beliefs, then I fight them.

BUT that's just me and I'm naturally just a fighter and an idiot xD My advice to you is to just be more careful and watch yourself. Yeah it sucks and it shouldn't be that way but sadly the world has a ways to go. Other parts of the world more so than others.

You will be ok! (*hug*) Feel better :slight_smile:

12. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He may get in trouble with the police if he confronts them. Best to ignore people like that.

13. lukeluvznicki13

I'm sorry that happened to you /:
    You get assholes like that.
    But there are those who do accept it. He is just one of those ignorant, stupid idiots who have no heart.

14. Miss Loopy

Chances are, if they're stupid enough to pull out a knife and carry one round so actively, they're probably stupid enough to just have it taken off them. Nor would they be intelligent enough to use one xD

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry to hear that. The beer bottle indicated that it was escalating. It's a good thing you're safe, and you might need to take a breather to chill over this event.

16. GayNerd

I'm so glad you and your boyfriend are both alright. (*hug*) He really is very caring. But just remember that you should stay away from that place. At least for now. (*hug*)

17. El Extranjero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's really unfortunate that this happened to you. I wouldn't pay too much attention to some random angry drunk, as some one else pointed out he more than likely wasn't intending to go any further than he had already gone.

I don't care much for Dublin, I'm not too familiar with it, but on the occasions I have gone out there I find that people are generally more aggressive and not very pleasant, so the fact that something like this happened doesn't particularly surprise me. I agree with Aussir that Cork seems to be much more LGBT friendly. I've been living there for a few years now and have never encountered, or heard of, any type of incident like this.

I know that this was your first real experience of homophobia, but I think it would be really naive, unfortunately, for any of us to think that we wouldn't encounter something like this throughout our lives. It's crazy and ridiculous that things like this still happen, but we've got to be aware and prepared for the fact that angry homophobes exist and we'll all too likely have an encounter with one of them at some stage.

18. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bless you. Search 'what would you do gay' on YouTube and watch one of the videos, it might cheer you up. They set up a gay-bashing situation and see if the public intervenes. 9 times out of 10 someone steps in to help, it's heart-warming :slight_smile: