1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if someone apologised?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Alright, something that really annoys me. Someone with a history of homophobia (or for that matter, any kind of bigotry) suddenly starts claiming they're always been gay friendly/a feminist/loved black people etc. All I really want from them is a heartfelt apology, for them to admit that they were wrong, and have changed.

So, would you be more likely to forgive someone who apologised for their bigotry, and admitted it existed, or someone who claimed it never existed?

(Its worth noting that that pasta company should have apologised instead of pretending they'd never hated gay people)

2. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would forgive if I knew it was genuine and they admitted they were in the wrong; I would be pissed if they denied that they weren't a bigot.

3. Ruthven

Yeah, a true blue apology. Don't go trying to act like you were never in the wrong. You do that, recognise you were an asshole to whatever degree, and we're good.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on how badly they hurt me.

5. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    I guess it depends on the person and situation

for example I have always been as accepting as possible to the lgbtq+ community, but I have a friend who recently transitioned ftm and when I was talking to him I by accidentally said she I sincerely regret it though and I apologized to him. I will never lie and say I didn't say that but I can't unsay it.
    This person forgave me and we are still friends

where as I have a friend (who is an adult) she was one of the first adults I came out to and recently she told my mom that she thought I meant I like animals. This is horrible because my mom is having a hard time getting over the whole pansexual thing to begin with now she is adding bestiality to the equation. This adult denies she ever said that.
    I probably wont forgive this person for a while

6. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think its more important that their transition from bigot to non-bigot is genuine. Having an apology and admitting that they were wrong in the past would simply be a bonus.

I would forgive a person who did not apologise but I wouldnt necessarily be their friend or respect them as much as I otherwise would have.

7. Hrantou

For stuff like that...no. Sorry, but I've been told so many apologies that really meant nothing in the end. I'm a hard person to apologize to. Especially over something like that,

8. Aussir

I don't need apologies, they're so overused that they lost any meaning nowadays.
    If someone has to apologize to me, it means they did shit they shouldn't have done in the first place anyway.

If they want to prove to me that things are changing and that they won't repeat the same mistake, then do it with actions instead of empty words. Words don't prove anything, actions do.

9. justjade

If someone who was known to be a bigot came up and apologized to me, I'd be like, "OK, let's not fucking talk about it. Just don't say shit like that again."

10. Siarad

Perhaps it isn't a good enough excuse but people can be so terribly brainwashed by upbringing and beliefs that have been presented to them as facts right from infant-hood.

If you've always been told that being gay, being lesbian, being bisexual, being ftm, mtf, etc is wrong, presented as absolute fact - then suddenly you see/sense some evidence that such thinking might be wrong - it would be earth-shattering. Think The Truman Show - coming to the realisation that everything you ever thought was true is wrong - that doesn't come easily, it's expecting too much of someone that it would. If someone has enough courage and strength to dare to tear their world apart to find the truth and then apologise to you for what they might have said when still living in the illusion - take the apology! Appreciate how difficult admitting to being wrong really is.

11. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not the forgiving type. If they're too pusillanimous to admit it, I would instinctively harbor mistrust for them. I would respect the person who admitted they were on wrong a little more, but the person who denies it just sounds too manipulative. That kind of behavior denotes narcissism, the unwillingness to admit to your flaws, and the erasure of anything that make you look bad.

The probability of me forgiving either of them is low. Not because they hurt me, but because I don't think people who exclaim they've changed really have, and I don't have time to surround myself with such toxic people. It's hard to outgrow bigotry, especially if you've imbibed it from a young age, so they would have to prove it somehow if they wanted forgiveness, a second chance, etc. And I'm talking about any kind of bigotry, not just transphobia/homophobia.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. An apology requires the admission of being wrong.

I now identify as a feminist. I am open about the fact that I bought into the ridiculous patriarchal bullshit I was fed. I am now anti-racist. I used to deny the existence of systematic inequality, and I admit that.

To be genuinely apologetic, you need to admit your wrong-doing. Otherwise you're demanding to be given a cookie for being "nice".

13. BiPenguin

A real apology would be good.

14. Silver Sparrow

It depends what the action was, how they apologize, and if they actually change their behavior.

15. Foxface

I am a very forgiving person to be honest...perhaps too forgiving at times

So yes a sincere apology would do it for me

Foxface

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A sincere apology and time works for me, bad behaviours are seldom one-offs, they were done for a reason, and an apology seldom attacks the root cause. A sincere apology to me means a sincere attempt at changing behaviour, and that takes time, and patience.

17. biggayguy

Yes, a sincere apology backed by actions. If someone never admitted to their bigotry they are just playing games. That would annoy me more than silence.

18. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I'd forgive someone who admitted their mistakes and moved past them.

19. Fiddledeedee

"I'm sorry, although I never hurt people. I won't hurt them either. I have always been in the right; it's your fault if you didn't see it. Now, forgive me for anything I've done and ignore any hurt you feel."

- No, I would not accept that, and they are causing further harm with it. They do not believe they have done wrong, and thus cannot be sincere in apologising. They are refusing to take responsibility and denying the feelings of others. There is no indication that they will change, or even want to.

"I hurt people, and I'm sorry. I will change from now on. I would appreciate help in becoming a better person and healing the hurt I caused, but your needs come first, so don't feel obligated to talk to me if you need space. Because I hurt people, I understand if you don't forgive me at the moment."

- Yes, I would accept that and forgive them, and I would try to do so however bad the harm was. They know they have done wrong, which means they can be sincere. They are taking full responsibility and acknowledging others' feelings. They are probably willing to listen and change.

20. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don´t care a damn about what people say (unless it´s my boyfriend or my parents). I look at their actions.

I have homophobic friends but they are allright with me and that is what counts.
    They have shown some improvement in their overall thinking about gays since I came out to them, so that´s a good thing.
    I´m not going to expect an apology or talk about the past. Because I don´t care about the past. I care about how they treat me (and think about homosexuality in general) NOW.

I apreciate that and tell them that too. I look at it in a positive way.
    The goal is that they think positive about homosexuality and not that they feel guilty. That´s a negative thing which, in my view, won´t make them think more positive about gays in general, so it´s not productive.
    Wanting an apology and even in a cerain way is only for YOU to feel better, so it is a one way thing and doesn´t spread.
    I believe if we want to spread acceptance, we should reward good behavior (maybe just by ignoring the bad, but one can also encourage people by teling them it really means something to you if they are cool with you after being homophobic) and not get angry or annoyed over how people express themselves.