1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the most gay friendly countries?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Nov 8, 2013.

1. person57

Hey guys, do any of you know any countries that are very gay friendly? If so, which ones?

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sweden is touted as one, but like the other Nordic countries, there tends to be an undercurrent of toxic misogyny and homophobia (still better than the US, Britain, or Australia, where that undercurrent tends to be as subtle as the current of the Amazon). I know that parts of Germany, Switzerland, and Spain are very gay-friendly, but nowhere's perfect.

If you're thinking of moving in the future due to social acceptability, then you might have to consider whether or not the change would be worth it. Where you live now, unless it's extremely hostile, would probably be better than moving to somewhere you don't know, and will just be another immigrant.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Urban areas tend to be more open, whereas the countryside seems less so, pretty much regardless of country.

4. I think Denmark is very gay friendly. The general consensus is that homosexuality is completely acceptable, there are some people who're still terrible though, but they are the minority.

5. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
  6. I just looked it up, we still have that law here. I'm very disappointed in my Country right now...

7. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    You STILL have it? Damn, I thought it was repealed. Even the Middle East has more tolerance for trans people than Sweden.

8. In order for trans-people to legally change gender they need to be sterilized.
    I hope something will be done about that soon. >_<

9. person57

I live in California, which is pretty gay friendly

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2013 at 09:26 PM ----------

I hear that Canada is very gay friendly, is that true?

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In Australia, you have to be either male or female, and you can't be recognised as the other gender of your sex (a gross oversimplification that inaccurately relies on gender being corresponding directly to sex) without having a physical sex-change operation. The government is seriously so obsessed with people's genitals that you have to replace them to be recognised as your gender, but apparently not so interested in letting genitalia be seen on TV.

11. musicrebel

The US is pretty gay friendly, since more and more people are becoming aware and mostly accepting that there is more than just male & female and heterosexuality in the country/world. I live in Minnesota and the largest city in my state (Minneapolis) has been ranked as one of the most gay-friendly cities in America, next to some cities located in California.

12. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    This is terrible, bordering on genocidal. Are the LGBT groups in Sweden not doing anything about this? Why am I not surprised?.....

13. I found a year old news clip on YouTube, but else I can't find anything.

14. English Frenchman

The Netherlands has had gay marriage legal for about 13 years. I think. Much like Belgium, I would say LGBT people are very accepted there. Then of course, you have pockets everywhere. Some parts of France, Spain, Germany etc.
    The U.S is slowly becoming a lot more accepting. I mean, in the southern states and some Mid-West states, it’s still very bad, but less and less.
    Canada to me is just LGBT fantasy land.

15. Praetor

Being an urban Canadian, I can attest that Canada is fairly LGBT friendly. Canada is a very diverse land and so you'll find a diverse array of opinions of LGBT people... the cities are definitely friendlier.

Same-sex marriage has been legal for a while, and discrimination based upon sexual orientation is illegal. Trans* rights still have some way to go like many places, but they have progressed quite a bit in recent times.

To be fair, I have not explored many of our provinces, but I know that the larger cities like Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal tend to be on the whole LGBT friendly. We even have open and out LGBT people elected to parliament.

16. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow. That's horrible, but I'm not surprised. The terrifying thing is that they could do this anywhere, and trans people would be left to fight this on their own.

17. tulman

"Forced sterilization". Sounds barbaric, right? The concept of it is arguably barbaric. But in the case of trans folks what difference does it make? Aren't orchiectomy and hysterectomy part of the process? When a trans man has the ability to impregnate a trans woman the issue opens a whole new can of worms. Makes me wonder why those countries even bother to make it a requirement. SRS leaves you sterile anyway. I'm not arguing one side or the other, just trying to look at as a practical matter.

18. timo

I think I live in one of the most accepting and tolerant countries when it comes to LGBT stuff, especially if you live in a city. There are some groups of people who have issues with "the gays" but I always try to ignore them. Society as a whole is pretty accepting.

Yep you're right. We were the first country in the world to legalize same-sex marriage in April 2001 :slight_smile:

19. lukeluvznicki13

Should write these countries down as destinations ;D

20. Hexagon

People like to preserve sperm or eggs sometimes.

To answer the question, a large survey I saw a few months ago showed spain was the mot gay friendly country in the world.