1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fashion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by method, Nov 8, 2013.

?

Fashion - what's your style?

1. Don't really care. I just wear what's comfortable to me.

22.1%
  2. I'm somewhat fashion-conscious and make sure I look presentable, but don't give it too much thought.

42.6%
  3. I'm quite fashion-conscious and put effort into my outfits usually following current trends.

5.9%
  4. I'm quite fashion-conscious and put effort into my outfits but create my own style.

25.0%
  5. My life is fashion. I don't follow trends, I set them.

4.4%
  1. method

How much do you care about how you dress yourself and what's your style?

For me, I would say I'm quite conscious of what I wear. But my style is quite simple - plain or patterned tees or shirts, but well-fitting and cut well. Tidy pants or shorts, nothing ragged or baggy (but definitely not too tight either). I definitely steer clear of anything with too many pockets, embellishments, graphics or visible logos. I tend to stick with classic colour combinations.

Despite all of this, I struggle sometimes with buying clothes as I can't put together outfits in my head. I'll buy a lot of things that look fantastic to me on their own, but I can never match them with anything else I own. But hey, I try.

2. Saint Otaku

I love clothes and fashion in general. Long has it been an aspiration of mine to take up making clothes as a hobby. But alas, I have neither the money to buy clothes or material, nor the time to make them, so I try and look as presentable as possible.

I suppose my fashion can be described as casual: jeans with button-ups and tees, and a splash of "gay." :grin:

3. Sitri

I can't, I don't ... understand fashion. I can't differentiate between ridiculous and good. I just stick with jeans and a simple white or grey t-shirt so as not to draw attention to myself.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mostly wear what's comfortable and don't care much at all for fashion, but picked the second option. I don't ever go out looking completely sloppy, so I guess clothes are a little bit important to me.

I think what happens with me is that I like clothing trends from hundreds of years ago. Surcoats? Yes please. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    i put that im conciouss of fashion but make my own style. I dont actually pay any attention to my style, but i am into it, its just the styles i like wouldnt actually look good on me.
    that and im freaking lazy.

6. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't say I'm particularly fashion conscious, but my appearance does matter quite a bit to me. If I feel I don't look halfway decent, I have a hard time leaving my house. I've never gone out in sweatpants or pajamas, and sort of cringe at the idea of it. I don't know why but it's difficult for me.

I usually wear button-down shirts, when I can find ones that are actually cut well. Being ftm and short only makes it trickier (I need this to be slim, but it has to make me into a box, and it can't be too loose or long in the sleeves). I tend to stick to plain or striped t-shirts, and I pay a lot of attention to the fit. I prefer v-necks. I do have a few graphic t's but I don't wear them as frequently. I find they're not as soft as my other shirts to begin with, and comfort is a huge factor in whether or not I'll wear something. I wear all my jeans in dark washes, particularly black, and slim, but not too tight. I also like layers, and would kill for some well-fitting hoodies and cardigan sweaters. I sort of avoid flashy clothes, and stick to blacks and greys and muted tones mostly.

7. KazTastic

I couldn't give a shit about fashion. I spend 90% of an average week dressed in my fluoro-green work uniform and black jeans, and the rest of the time, I'm dressed in a cheap black polo shirt with the same black jeans.

I'll admit that I do like my steel toe Dr Martens and Ray Bans though.

8. Gen

Gen

I enjoy fashion, so naturally I do put a fair amount of effort into the way I present myself. Though I'm not a fan of trends and make my decision in regards to clothing entirely off of personal preference.

Not to mention, trends tend to be a bit less applicable to you when you are someone that doesn't align very clearly with your specific gender.

9. prism

I care very little about fashion and purchase all of my clothing second-hand, with the exception of underwear. Jeans, t-shirt, done. I own one jacket and one pair of shoes at a time.

I cannot fathom paying $50 for something that costs pennies to make. I think fashion is interesting as a social behavior and culture, but fashion itself means so little and I cannot help but regard those who obsess over it as being unintelligent and shallow.

10. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't care about fashion but I like to look smart. I simply wear plain clothes like shirt (usually black), jeans and casual shoes.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mate has collected vintage clothes from the 40s to the 90s. We wear whatever, mix and match. I'm not into brands, names, but looks. We set trends, maybe? But I don't really care. Reinvent fashion for yourself. Use trends, abuse them discard them, recycle them, I could care less what the fashion is, fashion is always what you make of it, not some mode of conforming. To that extent, I hate Abercrombie and Fitch, among the most heinous of places, trying to mold people into this white, privileged boredom. Burberry, I don't mind, it can be classic, and is well made. But Abercrombie? I would like to see them go under.

12. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dread the thought of putting on anything more complex than jeans and a t-shirt. I hear stories about people, mostly women, spending 3 or more hours to prepare their outfit for an event of some sort, and I just can't comprehend how anyone can do that. My head would explode.

13. English Frenchman

I wouldn’t say I obsess over fashion. I don’t read Elle or Vogue magazine. I’m not hip with the latest trends.
    However, I do try every morning to put together an ensemble, which I hope others would appreciate and get the idea of “He has fashion sense”.
    I guess you could characterize my fashion as indie rock?
    I wear ripped jeans a lot, but with Oxford shoes and denim jackets and flowery shirts.

14. method

I like the variety of responses. Looks like gay people aren't over-representing the fashionista stereotype.

15. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Eh, mainly buy my clothing from Goodwill or second-hand stores. Not obsessed with fashion in the least, but when I'm a woman I make it a point to wear dark clothing (not gothic) because the apparel bespeaks "Don't mess with me."

The only thing I indulge in are scarves; my sister turned me on to them, so we went to new York and Company and bought some nice ones.

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thrift-stores are the key to fashion! I like to see how little I can spend, and pull something off. I dress kinda whimsically. Last week, I was so happy: I found this old Calvin and Hobbes T-Shirt (white, w/blue sleeves/collar) in the part of the building I live in by the freight elevator, where people leave free stuff for others to take/recycle as they move out. I'm not against 'trash-picking', especially when the students go home for summer at the art college. I figure just wash it really good, and it's fine.

17. justjade

Yeah, I love fashion, but it doesn't rule my life. I like thrift stores and Goodwill mostly. I just want to look like I put some thought into it but not like I'm trying too hard.

---------- Post added 9th Nov 2013 at 01:49 PM ----------

I practically live in plaid.

18. Hrantou

I really don't care about fashion. I mean I dress nice enough and comfortable enough for whatever I'm going to, but other then that I really don't care about what's hot and what's not.

19. purplekitty

I don't care about fashion trends. I usually just buy what I think looks nice. When I get dressed, I just pick stuff that looks like it will match. When I was younger it took me a while to pick stuff, but now it only takes a minute or two. I voted for option 2.

My style is mostly tennis shoes, jeans, and t-shirts or long sleeves. The shirts are usually a solid color or colorful patterns. I don't really wear anything with letters on it.

20. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I wasn't sure whether to say 2 or 4, but, because I'm picky about what clothes I buy in the first place, I decided on 4. There is a specific look I go for, and I rarely deviate from it.

However, I don't put much thought into my day-to-day choices of what to wear. I always wear jeans and the same pair of shoes, so all that's left is to pick a top, most of which are just different-color-and-pattern variations of each other (e.g. a mostly blue women's plaid shirt versus a mostly gray men's plaid shirt, plus some neutral-colored tank top). So there isn't much to think about.