1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isn't in absurd that people that you have nothing to do with can dictate our rights

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

Being a gay person in Ireland we have just taken a huge step forward with a referendum on same gender marriage planned in 2015! And the opinion polls are showing a strong level support for it passing.

Inevitaibly the Catholic groups have started complaining about it. That is is against religious freedom etc. and how it will "hurt the children".

Just a point on this, if we are not a catholic how is denying our rights based on something we don't believe not going to affect my religious freedom?

Double standards much?

2. English Frenchman

Re: Isn't in absurd that people that you have nothing to do with can dictate our righ

I hear you, my friend. I understand exactly where you’re coming from. Not only do they judge you for being gay, but they impose their rules on someone who doesn’t even have the same faith as them. I see it daily here.
    Unfortunately, as you and I both know, Ireland is so deep routed in Catholicism, the Pope is a bigger star than Bono there.
    Speaking of the Pope, the next time they say it will hurt the children, you should quote old Pope Francis and say “Who are you to judge? The pontiff doesn’t. Are you above the pontiff?”
    I bet you the people who are speaking out against it the most are those most closeted homosexuals, into really kinky stuff.

3. Hexagon

Re: Isn't in absurd that people that you have nothing to do with can dictate our righ

Yes, it is against religious freedom to ban human sacrifice and such things, isn't it?

4. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people

What we need is a dictatorship, one that stresses rights for disenfranchised minorities, the ones that need the utmost protection are Trans people and the Romani.

5. English Frenchman

The Roms are special. They keep more or less to themselves. It’s true, we need to reeducate apropos who they are and that they aren’t evil. But we can’t compare the trans and roms. I mean, one wants to be an active part of society, whereas the other is perfectly content remaining nomadic.

6. blueberrymuffin

This comes with being a minority. Inevitably some will have a vested interest in keeping minorities down. They get their power that way. The gay rights movement has had to deal with religion, psychiatry, politicians, and your run-of-the-mill bigots. None of these entities had any business meddling in our private lives, but they did so because 1) they stood to profit from it, 2) they are assholes, 3) they thought it was their "duty"

Now the only solution is to fight to delegitimize either the claim that we're "abominations" or to try and undermine the church as a whole. Since so many LGBT are religious too and the vast majority of the population, the first tactic is the way to go. Showing people you are normal and want a normal life, not to destroy the family system or the church, will win the most respect for our rights.

7. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Its life. People always want to tell other people what to do. Of course this takes different forms...

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah. I have more say in Aboriginal rights than my half-Aboriginal cousins, simply because I'm white and in the capital. The same for gay rights; Cardinal Pell will be able to exercise more power than most gay people over same-sex marriage.

9. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England

This is something I've been thinking about for some time now. I still don't understand how it all happened.