1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multisexual stereotypes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Other than non-existence, what stereotypes to people associate with multisexuals?

2. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    The one I most frequently hear is that they can't exist because there aren't more than two genders. I find that to be the most tiresome, depressing misconception about anything queer.

I also heard that multisexuals are just pretending to be that way in an attempt to look cool or garner sympathy. How that would make you look cool/garner sympathy wasn't explained. Then again, the person who said that didn't have any well-thought opinions about anything.

#2 AtheistWorld, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  3. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see a lot of people saying they're greedy or promiscuous. It's really very tiresome to see such things.

4. Hexagon

Hmm... I use multisexual to describe anyone who likes more that one gender. Bisexuals, pansexuals etc. Do we have a terminology misunderstanding?

5. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    No, no misunderstanding. I read on another message board that Pansexuality can't exist because there are only two genders: male and female. The person promulgating the argument didn't even know the difference between transgender and transsexual; to him, all trans* people fall on the gender binary, which is nonsense of course.

6. Hexagon

Ah, right sorry. Yeah, most people I've encountered haven't heard of pansexuality, so I realised it would be easier to call myself bisexual for most people.

7. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I tell people I'm Bisexual, even though it's more complex than that. They start prying too much, asking a bunch of ignorant questions if I say Demi-sexual. They can't even begin to ponder what romantic attraction is, and it gets tiresome explaining it.

8. Hexagon

Yeah, tell me about it. :bang:

Now, I don't mind ignorance (well, it frustrates me, but explaining things isn't too hard), but people never seem to want to learn. They just want to mock, and hold onto their believe that they're superior to me in their ignorance.

9. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hah, you wouldn't believe the outlandish nonsense people throw at me when I say I'm panromantic. One person suggested that I had the potential to fall in love with trees if I allowed myself to get attached to one, and another naysayer had the gall to tell me that I wasn't demi-sexual, and I was using that as a front to hide that I'm just Bisexual. For me explaining isn't hard, but what's hard is imparting the knowledge to them, because again they misconstrue what I say and jump to wild conclusions.

The arrogance of someone telling me what I am is so unbelievable. These people who haven't even heard of Demi-sexuality before try to chide me about who I am, despite their lack of expertise in sexuality.

10. Bright Eyes

If you don't mind my asking, is multisexual the same thing as pansexual?

11. Split Arrows

Multisexual is more an umbrella term to describe any orientation that involves more than one gender.

I usually just get the greedy, promiscuous whore-hound stereotype from people.

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Multisexuality exists for women, but not for men; they're in-denial of being gay, or have "special snowflake" syndrome; attracted to EVERYONE, therefore can't be trusted; either confused or lying, since everyone is either attracted to men or women, exclusively

13. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "They're why stds exist and heterosexuals have them."
    Is a stereotype.

14. Tzoa

So, just to be clear, bisexuality would be being attracted to either a woman or a man (gender binary) and pansexuality would be being attracted to a woman, man, intersex or transgender?

Sorry for my ignorance. I've heard a lot of definitions for pansexuality and most have either confused me or sounded just like bisexuality.

15. bitchyetough

Pansexuality is the capacity of being attracted emotionally/physically to a person regardless of gender.

16. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Depends on the person most yes.
    To me though bisexual is attraction to two genders, if male and female (they can be transgender or transexual )
    Pan sexual any gender even non binary. Depends on who you ask. There's around 6 million definitions. But most bi/pansexuals will agree with your statement.

17. Tzoa

@ Bitchyetough: Gotcha. That's what I thought it was, but I wanted to be 100% sure.

@ Zannan: Awesome. Thanks! It's kinda interesting that these terms can mean slightly different things depending on who you ask.

I haven't heard any stereotypes about pansexuality, but some stereotypes about bisexuality that I've heard is that it's just a phase, it's only curiosity and/or confusion, bisexual women only say they're bi to turn on men, and that bisexuals just can't get enough sex and they don't care who it comes from.

18. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just being super sluts with hella game. Which is unfortunately untrue. I do not indeed have any game at all. :frowning2:

19. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've heard pansexuals only have sex with animals. Which makes me question the persons knowledge on the topic.

20. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I've seen that you have to be attracted to all genders in the same way and to the same degree. Otherwise you're either in denial or a confused straight person.

It's understandable that you're confused. Honestly, I am too, as I've yet to see a definition of pansexuality that meaningfully distinguishes it from bisexuality.

The "bi" in bisexuality, as defined by the bisexual community, refers to "same" and "other," meaning you can be attracted to genders that are similar to yours and different from yours. It does not mean two genders.

It is also problematic to define pansexuality as attraction to intersex or transgender individuals as if they are neither male nor female. Most identify on the binary.