1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do some men never come out in life but still mess around in secert?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by justme210, Nov 9, 2013.

1. justme210

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I notice and know there are men who get married and have children or live a " Straight life in public" But love men and lust men gay sex and called themself gay but never come out in life. Why is that? They look masculine and straight but they never come out. How many of you all live this kind of lifestyle.

2. Ticklish Fish

Society pressure, conformity are possible candidate to answer this question?...

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A couple of things. If they get married and have kids, they often pass, even if they trip gaydar for some, and some married men do trip gay and straight people's gaydar. If they don't marry and fly solo, they don't pass, especially after a magical number like 35 or probably 40, regardless of how masculine they are.

So, back to your question, it's impossible to know the numbers. The reasons could be:
    (a) generational and the value system and experiences that go with that, (b) they want the advantages and stability of a traditional family life, for religious or societal purposes, (c) they are more MSM types and aren't in a relationship with a particular guy, for which they'd have to fight for a cause, for lack of a better word, and (d) they don't care for many aspects of the gay lifestyle and its stereotypes, among others.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One word. Shame.

Fundamentally, people stay closeted because they are deeply ashamed of who they are. Shame is the deeply held belief that we are not worthy of love and belonging. So, for closeted gay men, the fear is that if we admit to people who we are, we won't "belong" to the world of straight people, we might lose the love and respect of our friends and loved ones, and we may be alone.

So, since they cannot "belong", these closeted gay men instead decide to "fit in", and in this case, that means getting married, having kids... but then, because they are fundamentally unhappy and unfulfilled, their darker selves hide out in the shadows of clandestine hookups and the like... and that, plus the pressure of trying to "fit in" and realizing that we don't really "belong" to the straight world, just makes the shame even stronger.

The result is a continuing spiral of shame. Do that for 5 or 10 or 20 years and the shame can become so deep as to seem totally insurmountable.

I have nothing but compassion for people who are stuck in that place. They don't want to be there, they hate themselves, and they often see no way out. It is only with love and support and reassurance and empathy and gentle encouragement that those people can find the strength and the courage to come out... and when they do, the change in attitude, belief, confidence, self-esteem can be simply magnificent to see.

5. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

^ I agree, so sad.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's because that is the easiest path to get what they want: sexual satisfaction while conforming to social/religious/cultural expectations of appearing straight or actually being in heterosexual relationships. And, for many older people, there was an extreme stigma and social ostracism for those who were out. Things have changed so dramatically in the last decade, at least for the US, such that it can be hard to understand what life was like when homophobia was the norm.

I agree that there should just be sympathy for such people, not self-righteous judgment. That said, I personally could not live with a double life or be with someone who is in a heterosexual relationship. So, I chose to remain single, but I know many guys even of my age who went out with girls or went to prom with girls and later came out as gay.

7. GayNerd

It could have to do with surroundings, like homophobia, that kind of stuff. Or, it may be their decision not to come out in public.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read the whole post and it is full of good points. Aside from rejection and not being able to readily build up a new base of friends or support system, one reason some don't or won't come out is because they fear losing their jobs or having their lives made miserable at work. With 8 hours at work and 8 hours asleep, this is typically the largest productive chunk of one's life. The whole situation is so loaded, even in 2013. They can find a reason to dismiss someone that doesn't have to do with their orientation. Or they can make life so unbearable that you'll quit. A person can definitely document, fight, and hopefully win a case when this happens. However, no one knows the likelihood of a desired outcome for the plaintiff, but if they did, then sure, come out, get the settlement, and hang your hat on the Florida Keys, or another place of one's choosing.

Some people don't come out because they're not really championing anyone and because, again, it's a numbers game. They know what they're sort of looking for, and it wouldn't be the type they ogle in magazines and on the silver screen, but someone more practically suited to them. A lot of people in the GLBT community hit an "eject button" of sorts when a suitable person comes along. And it could be just 1 out of the 2 who hits that "eject button." Coming out to the tune of 100% without a partner can imply "ok, this is my sexuality, take it or leave it, and, partnered or not, I'm going to burn off some calories between the sheets given the opportunity, and in a manner you might not find acceptable," and not everyone is worthy of that explanation, for lack of a better word.

Some people sort of circumvented this whole conundrum honestly, though not totally openly. They went off to college or entered the workforce, before social media and dating sites, and sort of stumbled into someone who was sort of compatible for them, they sensed their sexual proclivities were in the same ball park, they hooked up, and ducked out of the mainstream of the gay scene, preferring to keep company with a select few straights and GLBTs. They are usually low-key people and that's how they choose to run their living arrangements. Even with SSM, some couples may not even take up the new legislation. And their relatives and neighbors know the score, too.

I think someone's job and whether or not there's someone in your life are also reasons people don't come out to the tune of 100%. And, in the meantime, they're going to "love the one they're with."

9. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    This is gold. I have nothing more to add. :3

10. Northern

Not wanting to accept it, fear of others reactions, etc.