1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate Russia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Typhoon, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know it is wrong to generalize but I used to like Russia a lot and even made up my mind to visit it one day and try to learn part of the language and their alphabet. When I came to the realization of the atrocities permitted by the executive police on the LGBT Community, and the remaining 84% of the population encouraging or participating in the disgusting ''purging attempts'', I simply became filled with hate to anything that is Russian. Even going as far as to glower resentfully at a Russian student in my course I've become used to for 3 years, whose father is a brigadier or general of some sort in the Russian army.

Whilst I understand that it is wrong to be judgmental, I'm going to one extreme here. My father once told me that his father (whom I never met) always resented the Germans, since they once shot at him during the War when he was 13 years old via a plane. Apparently the field he was working in apparently became ''an explosion of soil'' but he managed to hide behind some wall which stopped him from getting killed. After the war he still resented them, and that's how I feel about the Russians. Whilst they aren't actually being as brazen as the former given the exclusive media attention they've been getting, I can sense their pleasure in inflicting pain and humiliation towards people like us. How are these sort of atrocities even encouraged and facilitated via social media?

I know there are other LGBT people in Russia or Russians who either don't care or who support LGBT people and just to be clear, I did not mean to include them. I have no issue with anyone who does not support or recognize LGBT people. It's people who torture, humiliate and degrade people like me that make me furious, but what makes me more furious is that the police don't take action at all. The government's anti-gay laws facilitate the situation for them as they will be viewed as ''upholding'' the law.

I know some of you will say that I am overreacting, which I probably am, but just for a second, take a look at this picture

[​IMG]

I saw that picture yesterday, when someone posted a link to an LGBT e-newspaper and there was a link leading to Russian Neo-Nazi Group Kidnaps and Tortures Gay Black South African Student In Latest Attack (Video) - November 6, 2013 - The Gaily Grind. I'm not even going to even point out the racial issue in that one, as there are so many incidents of this sort... I'll just be repeating myself. But I just keep looking at that picture up there, on the expressions of each one and then on the one in the middle. I feel a really, really strong urge to hurt him. Badly.

Now everytime I think of anything to do with Russia, I just think of that picture now. I've known for months about the situation back there, but whether it is media manipulation or not, I am filled with deep hatred towards anyone affiliated with Neo-Nazis, the Russian Government and anyone supporting this ''reign of terror''. It's now debatable which is safer: Iran or Russia? At least you'll probably get a quicker death in Iran.

N.B. I don't mean to offend anyone who is Russian. I just feel too repulsed by seeing what man can do to another.

2. Siarad

I agree with you on all the political and rights issue with this one ...

I think it's about the Russian Government and the way they are behaving ... I'm quite certain LGBT people in Russia do not feel this way! To hate a country means to hate all their people, to hate a government means to hate the powers that make a country despicable...

I hate the Russian government and I feel strongly that no country should be agreeing to attend the Olympics in Russia until they change their laws!

3. bitchyetough

I just wonder if countries are genuinely paying attention to this matter. I hope they are.

4. GayNerd

I wouldn't think anybody would hate ALL of Russia. But I do agree that that man in the middle should get slapped. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I just really hope that Russia stops this madness. Utter and complete madness..

5. tulman

Love Russians or hate them, I wish Putin was on our side. The man has BALLS and not many are willing to mess with him. He's the real deal too, not some candy ass who sweet talks. KGB guy who works out, is accomplished with firearms, at martial arts, horsemanship and enjoys fast cars. We could use some guys like him in charge of the dirty work here too. As George Orwell once said, "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." If we keep watering down manhood in this country where will the next generation of special ops guys come from?

6. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just hate people who hate gay people. I can understand your hatred but direct it at those who hate gay people.

7. Siarad

This should probably be on my 'nice debate thread' ideally - so it doesn't cause quarrels.. but...

You seem quite in favour of violent men. Putin is a very unpleasant, very violent man ... I don't believe we should men like him whether he is for us or against. As long as we define 'real men' by their ability to commit violence and hurt... we perpetuate hatred and prejudice...

I don't want violent straight men, violent gay men, violent straight women, violent gay women, violent transexuals, etc to dominate our policy...

Russia are falling back into homophobic, dictatorial ways ... not the kind of 'balls' I want dictating international policy!

8. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think some people perceive the following as manly:
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH SMASH AND BWAAAAH LOOK AT MA MUSCLEZ AND GUNS AND RARRRRRRRRR BWAHAHA I'M THE MAN YEHEAAAA WOOOOOOOOOOOOO MOO I'M STWONG AND CRUSH A SQUIRREL WITH MY THUMB.

I wonder what people mean by a real man. A man is just a person who does not have a vagina.

9. Ruthven

Gee, thanks for invalidating us trans people.

10. Siarad

As Facebook would say... like! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2013 at 06:31 PM ----------

I suspect that was just a post-Freudian slip, if that's the case, let me apologise on behalf of MrAllMonday... If that's not the case- let me hand that back to to him to deal with!

11. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Awww I'm so sorry lol.

12. Ruthven

It's alright. thanks for apologising

13. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    The majority of Russians totally support the anti-gay laws, and these Neo-Nazi groups are private citizens taking the laws one step further, no backslash whatsoever from their compatriots. Sometimes the government is just a reflection of society at large.

14. suninthesky

@MrAllMonday thanks for apologizing, it means a lot, and I understand you didn't mean anything, no offense taken!

In respect to the actual discussion going on, I think sooner or later we'll definitely know about the road Russia and the rest of the world are headed down. The Olympics are coming and I doubt it's something that people can ignore.

15. Siarad

Given the incarceration of 'Pussy Riot' - we have to assume not all citizens supported this...

And I wonder how vocal opposition is within a dictatorship...

You may be right, I just wouldn't like to assume that of ordinary Russians without giving them the benefit of the doubt.

16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He deserves to have his face rearranged, at a minimum.

Even if he preferred you to be in a casket?

Actually that's probably being too kind. I doubt he'd spend money on a casket. Seriously, if by "manhood" you mean raising a generation of psychopaths...

[​IMG]

17. Ridiculous

It's PR and essentially propaganda. He isn't any where near like what he is portrayed as. Presidents and PMs don't go out into the wilderness and ride a horse with no shirt on and have a press release about it while mysteriously having dozens of photos that don't include any of the numerous aids and security and journalists surrounding him unless the entire thing was staged.
    None of those things are really very important features for a country's leader to have, either. The fact that it works for him shows how people can be swayed by the promise (and threat) of violence rather than anything substantial.

18. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ Good point. Reminds me of this:

[​IMG]

19. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    From a NYT article: "An overwhelming 88 percent of Russians support the gay propaganda ban, according to a survey conducted in June by the All-Russian Public Opinion Center."

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/w...upport-from-the-west.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I come from Romania, a country that shares some cultural ills with Russia (things aren't half as bad here though). I can assure you that it's exactly the "ordinary" people who are the biggest offenders regarding the persecution of homosexuals in this part of the world. The politicians are just giving the people what they want.

(Regarding Pussy Riot, one blooming rose does not make a weed-infested field become a beautiful garden.)

#19 Adi, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  20. Ridiculous

Russia's citizens need to take a lot of blame as well but I can guarantee that 88% figure isn't accurate. Russia does not a good record for fairly representing their citizens in politics - I'm 100% certain that however they got that figure was orchestrated to give a heavily biased result.