1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America or Europe ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Iamqm, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Iamqm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey

I was just wondering : What are the pros and cons of living in Europe or America ( as LGBT ) ? Which would you prefer ?

2. Hexagon

I would prefer europe. Only because america seems only slightly more insane that europe, and gay rights and protections have progressed further in some places. Also, one very important thing for me is that in many countries in europe, I am entitled to free surgery for my transition.

3. bitchyetough

I'm guessing we're talking about western and central Europe.
    I prefer Europe, by far.
    As a generalisation for the USA, the people are more extreme in their beliefs/opinions, and spend a fair bit of time justifying their actions with documents such as freedom of expression when they insult someone, not using what I would deem commun sense as to knowing it may hurt someone thus avoiding it.
    People in Europe tend to bite their tongues, or at least not try justifying insulting someone.
    Also, weapons.

4. BelleLey

BelleLey Guest

French are very narrow minded for the most part, there was a lot of opposition to gay marriage, i was surprised to see how hateful people from my country actually were.

5. bitchyetough

Not to mention the majority of italian's. But keep in mind the majority, or the most represented religion is catholicism.
    As for the french, the main opposants were the extreme right & religious people, the rest are relatively open-minded.
    Yet apparently LePen is going to become more popular come the next elections.

6. timo

I like Europe and I'm glad I live there. We're far more progressive, politically speaking. America seems interesting to visit, but from what I know I wouldn't ever want to live there.

7. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Canada is also "America" . I think it´s a pretty decent country as far as LGBT issues are concerned?

8. If you're talking about U.S. of America, then I would prefer Europe. Gay rights were much more progressed in Europe, even banning LGBT hate speech . I love freedom of speech and all, but people abuse that right in the U.S.

The environmental protections are better than the U.S. I'm ashamed to find out that some of our congressmen/women don't think global warming is happening. Europe has a better transportation system than the U.S and also, people use bicycles there so I know that the air is much more cleaner. Plus, it helps because I have asthma.

There are stricter gun control laws than the U.S. The U.S is the only Western Industrialized nation without proper nationwide gun control.

Europe isn't as extreme with their religion compared to the U.S. Here, people confuse our law of "Freedom of Religion" with forcing their religion on others.

BUT! If Canada is involved, then I would prefer Canada instead. Canada is the progressive version of the U.S and I would love to live there, particularly Vancouver or Toronto. Canada has about everything EU has, but it's in America. Plus, I have relatives in Canada.

#8 anthonythegamer, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  9. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends solely on what part of America you're talking about. It's one of the most diverse, if not the most diverse sociopolitical place on Earth.

10. Techno Kid

Canada is part of "America".

There are not too many places in the world that have more advanced LGBT rights than Canada, as far as I'm concerned. :slight_smile:

11. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    America--we have the good kind of football!

Seriously though, it's a large enough place, both in terms of physical size and population, that you can find whatever and whomever you're looking for. Also, there's a lot less anti-Semitism here than in Europe.

I'd consider living in Canada--I actually applied to a couple of graduate schools there--but I don't know how well I would deal with the cold.

12. All41

Europe. Not only is it generally more accepting towards LGBT individuals, they have less violence and have better priorties then the bible (mis)quoting southern Americans.

13. Spaceman

Europe and Canada seem sooo much more progressive and politically sane than the US. But just when I'm about to give up hope, we do something like elect a black president...twice.

Recent progress on gay rights here is very encouraging. And it's fun watching our right wing (republicans) starting to implode from their internal divisions. As the US gets more and more diverse, they can no longer win by appealing to racists and religious nuts and they don't know what to do about it.

14. tulman

Gay, straight, black, white, polka dots, rich, poor, healthy, sick, whatever. I'm staying right here in the good 'ol USA. Other places might be nice to visit but I don't want to live there. If you think it's so good somewhere else, GO! And don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I remember all those Hollywood freaks who were going to leave when their guy didn't get elected. I see they're still U.S. citizens and still living their freak show lives in spite of many offers by folks willing to buy them one way tickets to their new promised land.

15. bitchyetough

Other than Nazis (from how long ago? x) ) I can't think of anyone who's an antisemite, dispersed through France for example you can find numerous memorials for the persecuted jews in the second world war, and I have never came across anyone who persecutes/taunts/mocks jews as European countries (Western for the least), are less anchored towards religion.

16. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The UK gives me free transition. Maybe canada does too, but canada has polar bears. I hate bears.

17. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For no real particular reason, I'd rather live in Europe. Maybe because BBC TV is so damn good!

18. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Overall I would prefer Europe, particularly Germany or any of the Nordic countries, because a) they have better healthcare (a huge issue for me as a mentally ill person) and b) they are closer to achieving gender equality, so I'll have an easier time succeeding in my career.

As far as LBGTQ-specific issues go, Europe and the US seem about even when you compare the states that do the best with the countries that do the best. I wouldn't have a preference if that were my only consideration.

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends where in America and where in Europe. Rural Poland won't be any better than rural Texas, and New York and Paris would be roughly as good as each other.

Vast areas, heaps of different cultures. What you will find, however, is that Europeans don't tend to like unnecessary immigrants.

20. olides84

^ That's the answer in a nutshell.

For example: where I live (Belgium) and where I grew up and went to school (California) there isn't much difference in regards to LGBT rights, respect, etc. Both are quite progressive in lots of things. But overall, it's comes down to what is important to you. But I do like this part of Europe more right now- at least for my life - except for the shit weather and the lack of mountains and good Mexican food.