1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judging Orientation by Appearance - infographic

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dragonbait, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

2. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Glossing over that link...

Yeah, sometimes. Sometimes it's extremely obvious when it comes to gay guys anyway. Only for the fem side, though.

3. GayNerd

Ehh.. Kind of.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Some are easier than others.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely ... maybe ... no way. It's all over the map.

Some people dress or accessorize themselves (hair, messages on t-shirts, jewelry) that pushes it over to a more certain call. I'm writing this as I just got back from the store with a pair of clogs, but jeans and a cheapo dark t-shirt and no watch, no jewelry, and no labels ... but you know what, I like these comfortable clogs. LOL.

5. Siarad

I can't get it to click on anything other than bisexual...

6. RawringTiger

My family judges by the way they stand with there legs out and one leg straight and a hand on there hip and my brother (25 and homophobic) says ooh look at him hes a poof (poof= gay,feministic) sometimes i judge like that sometimes i just dont know

7. Siarad

All fascinating points but ultimately unhelpful! I could delight in being an entirely open being - but I'd still end up with no girlfriend! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Guest

I'd have no idea unless the person actually told me, or I asked them, and I wouldn't do the latter in any situation, unless I really knew the person and felt like they wanted me to ask. Yeah...I'd rather wait for them to tell me.

#8 Aldebaran, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  9. Techno Kid

What about the straight fems?

10. Skyline

I am very bad at judging people's inner feelings by how they look and act. I can usually expect what kinds of things they might say to me after just observing them for a bit.

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Apparently, there have been tests done where people will be shown faces of gay and straight men and women in rapid succession, and most people are able to guess most with some degree of accuracy. The idea is that there are perceived ideas of the differences between gay and straight physical makeup, whether rooted in science or society.

There are some people who will give off strong vibes for some reason or another, but using their like or dislike of sports, choice of friends, fashion, or hairstyle alone is just silly. A lot of these myths need to be done away with, since there's as much diversity within the LGBT community as there is outside of it.

I like that this chart basically gives the finger to a lot of common assumptions involved in judging a person's orientation based on surface level identifiers.

12. thatconfusedguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    From first hand experiance it is immposiable to discern someones sexuality by there aperance only through their social interactions and behaviours can begin to hint at sexuality. But really why does it matter if your gay straight purple or green love is love. :icon_bigg

13. freedom200

freedom200 Guest

honestly, sometimes i think you can, i was watching some stupid reality show one day and there was this gay person and i could tell he was gay from the first second i saw him

freaky right?

14. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ridiculous.
    You'd only be able to tell if they were repeatedly caught _____ing another guy/girl.
    And even then, they still might be bi, not gay.

15. It depends. I've actually guessed someone's sexuality correctly before.

16. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Saw that coming.

17. Ticklish Fish

I have never seen an infograph with so many convoluted arrows xD

Nice info graph though

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If the guy is over 40, handsome, smart, polished, articulate, and hasn't ever been married, then I've guessed someone's sexuality correctly before, too! More than once.

I was once sitting there in my car at a light at a corner in San Francisco and there was a guy about 40 standing there in a dressy brown leather jacket, about 6'-0", really handsome, and wedding band free ... and that visual remained in my head as I kept driving.

19. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Tightrope, if this study is to be believed, then chances are pretty good you were right!
    SAN FRANCISCO SURVEY FINDS 40% OF SINGLE MEN TO BE HOMOSEXUAL - NYTimes.com

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, Dragonbait. I believe it, as well as some of the details in the article, such as educational level and job type. If there's one advantage of living there, it would be that no one would bust your chops for not being married and not playing golf. Or, I could be wrong. I wonder if there's a glass ceiling as well. At any rate, the bad news was that the men discussed often continue to engage in unsafe sex practices, living in one of several "ground zeros" in the U.S. for HIV. That's sad.

Back to the guy I saw. Holy smokes. He was the perfect midpoint between hot and handsome, and possibly "too good-looking to be straight," as the saying goes.

One would think that straight guys are at a real advantage in San Francisco if seeking women, but I've been told that, like NYC, it's not always so. It's a complex market.