1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Veteran's Day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Data, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Data

Data Guest

It's officially one hour until Monday here on the West Coast, but before I go to bed I wanted to make a thread for Veteran's Day.

I know that Veteran's Day is a US holiday, but other countries celebrate it in some form or another because its roots are in WW1 and the soldiers who fought in it. There were several countries who fought in WW1 and the US actually came into it late. The war ended on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. Today is now used to remember any soldier who fought in a war, and Memorial Day is used to remember those who were killed in a war.

I don't know if we have any military here on EC, but if we do allow me to THANK YOU all for your service past or present.

I hold all of my rights and freedoms as sacred because they have been paid for in the blood of the soldiers who died to protect them.

If you see anyone walking around with a veteran hat on or a Buddy Poppy pin on, why not go up, shake their hand and thank them for their sacrifice? I assure you it will be appreciated. Veterans can never be thanked enough.

All gave some, some gave all.

2. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you veterans

*Salute*

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you to all of our veterans out there who may be looking at this for what you do or have done on a daily basis. Here's to maybe one day finding peace around the globe.

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My brother served five years in the Air Force, and spent some time in Iraq. I'm grateful for his service and every every other solders'. Thank you to anyone on EC who has served or is serving in the military for this great country.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, let's celebrate Remembrance Day. Not only for those who gave their lives in war, but also for those who had theirs taken from them.

Let us never forget them.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the US at least, Veteran's Day (11/11) is for living vets as well as KIA. But they are no less deserving of our attention.

We're serving free food to all veterans at my restaurant tomorrow, and it sure as hell is going to resemble a battlefield there. :S

7. Data

Data Guest

I took my teacher and her roomate out to dinner at Applebees two years ago. It was great! We went after I had helped set up and take apart her VFW post's float. A year ago I was in the hospital with a brojen leg all beat up from a motorcycle wreck. That was the first time in 5 years I haven't set up, ridden, and broken down the VFW Post 10188 parade float. Now that she has resigned her post on the board of officers and stopped going to 10188, I can't help anymore.

I'll see if she wants to go out to dinner today, but with the death of a former student who served in Iraq she's really quite depressed. I'll do my best, but I think I'll probably spend today alone just remembering the troops and what they do. I'll probably call my uncle and thank him. He served in Beirut in the 80s. The conflict that nobody knows/thinks/cares about. The first terrorist attack on the US. He pulled body parts out of the rubble of the barracks. Some of the dog tags belonged to his friends.

8. justjade

I'd like to thank the veterans, too. I know a lot of them. I had a teacher in high school who's a Vietnam vet, and my barber is a veteran. I tip my figurative hat to all the brave men and women who serve our country or have served it in the past.

9. Harve

Why's it called Veterans Day when most people who've died in recent wars are civilians?

10. Sitri

I was named after my great uncle who served in WWII. He was a para-trooper in the invasion at Normandy. He lost his hand there and had a hook for the rest of his life. I'm proud to be related to him. On the complete others side is my grandfather, who was a glider pilot. Staff Sgt. demoted to private first class. He never told me that story.He did however tell me the stroy of how he got his only medal because he volunteered for mission to Rome, forgetting that Rome was behind enemy lines. He only remembered when he got back.

11. Illus1

I have great respect for any one that has served their country and would like to thank all veterans here on EC. God bless those that have sacrificed on any side of the battleground for in my eyes it is not where one stood (that's politics) but that one answered the call of duty and fought for the people of their country. Thank you!

12. GirlWhoWaited

My dad was a Vietnam vet. He never talked about it, and kept his medals in a box hidden away where he didn't have to remember, but I'm proud of what he did for his country. I always miss him most on his death day and on Veteran's Day. It can't have been an easy thing to live through, or to die in. My thoughts and prayers go out to all vets and their families.

13. AmityRanch

I mostly feel bad for all the draftees out there.
    Otherwise I don't care much for the holiday.

14. Data

Data Guest

I learned that my AP english teacher was severely injured during his action in Nicaragua. It officially wasn't a place that troops saw action, but in reality the US was down there fighting communists and securing the Panama canal. He jumped out of helicopters and did a few HALO jumps. He wouldn't tell me how he was injured, but he really hasn't gotten over it. When he came back he dumped all his medals, all of his uniforms, and anything that he had to remind him of the battle. Apparently he tossed it over the Golden Gate Bridge. He would have bad days and come in to class with no work for us to do. If I asked him what the problem was and if I could help him make copies or correlate things, he would just say "nightmares" and leave it at that.

That's why I thank every vet I meet. Every single one. There are people who have no outward appearence that suggests a disability, but are totally destroyed with PTSD on the inside.

Like I said, all gave some and some gave all.

15. GayNerd

(Salutes)

(Enter video of Nyan Cat singing the National Anthem here)

16. Tzoa

Just a slight correction. Today is a day to remember, recognize and honor any person who served honorably in the military. My mom is a veteran, but she never fought in a war. My dad is also a veteran, and he served in Iraq. I'm glad for their service, and grateful my dad came back from Iraq safely.

17. Data

Data Guest

You have a good eye! I typed it and I didn't even catch that!

Yup, a person who served during a time of peace is still a veteran.

Sorry!:icon_redf

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great idea for a thread, Data. We sometimes take for granted the sacrifice that our armed forces have made to preserve our values of freedom and fairness, and those of our friends around the world who have been oppressed and unable to defend themselves.

19. Alexander69

Lest we forget, I'm so greatfull for those who fought died and survived, for a better world that we live in today. I really hope that one day this world will see world peace, no war no hatred. I'm not American but I am certainly great full for those men/women who fight to protect their country, I don't agree with war and I hope one day it will end.

May all those fathers/mothers, brothers/sisters, aunts/uncles, cousins come home safe to their loving familles for good. And to those who have died, we thank you and you will not be forgotten.

20. DMark69

Thank you Data, and everyone else who wished thanks to Veterans yesterday. To answer your question from the original post, Data, there is at least one of us. I served 12 years in The US Army, and was an Army Brat before that. It is good to see some recognition of the sacrifices that are made.

For those of you who complain about civilian casualties, or just don't like the military in general I have this to say. I consider the military like an insurance policy, when you don't need it, it kind of sucks to pay for, but when you do you are glad it is there. So even if you don't like the military, or your governments policies, remember I fought for you too.

I Fought For You - YouTube