1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insensitive things you've said about the LGBTQ community.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jeneric, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Jeneric

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Before you knew you were part of the community or when trying to fit in or just because you didn't know any better.

I still facepalm myself for a couple I've said.

When I was around 10 years old I told my sister that I'd be uncomfortable sharing a room with a lesbian. The universe sure got me back for that one. Now I'd uncomfortably try not to start at her chest (assuming she had a nice one).

And I went through most of my teen years believing that "one was the man and one was the woman". Oh lordy. Ellen showed me the error of my ways.

2. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Cool thread. We used to bash a neighbor's gay dad, and even though the guy was insufferable, looking back it was wrong of us to jab at his sexuality like that.

But the reason I did it is cause I liked his daughter, she liked me, and he didn't want her to go out with me, probably because of the crowd I rolled with then - we still kinda dated behind his back though.

When I was a teenager we always used homophobic slurs and say things like "You're a fag" or "He's such a cocksucker!" but it wasn't so much homophobia as it was the lexicon we used to disparage others.

#2 AtheistWorld, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  3. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eesh, I have experience here. On a couple of occasions I said that transsexualism should be illegal and said that homosexuality is wrong and other shit that now makes me smash my head against the wall upon the thought of someone really believing these things. I kind of want to make an excuse about how I was in denial, but discrimination is discrimination. Not my proudest moments in hindsight, but glad that I've overcome those past stupidities.

4. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I used to think trans* people deserved all the bad things that happened to them and that they shouldn't have had legal protection afforded to them because they brought it on themselves. I'm not sure why I had those malicious thoughts, but needless to say I am reformed now...

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not much, really. I don't make comments about T folks because I don't know any. As for GLBs, I've rarely but have indeed used the words "butt pirate," "carpet muncher," and "switch hitter" in casual humorous conversation with others, often GLBs who use them and chuckle themselves. Is that hateful or insensitive, I don't know? It becomes hateful when a homophobic homosexual or homophobic heterosexual uses the above terms with a hateful tone and a sneer.

My issues are with specific people, regardless of sexual orientation. I take issue with a gay guy or two or three who is sort of a "pissy, A-list" type who needs a rude awakening, which is guaranteed to come, and to a lesbian or two or three who is not that great at interacting with men, but changes her tune quickly to the positive when interacting with women. Both of these phenomenon exist.

6. English Frenchman

I used to think Trans* people were fundamentally wrong. It was not right. How could you want to be another gender? The hormones in your body and your genitals made you one gender. There was no “I’m going to change genders”.
    I don’t feel this anymore today, but I still feel slightly odd around trans* people. It’s still very odd for me.

7. Hrantou

I used to say being gay was wrong and we were all going to hell...but it was back when I was younger and more religious and just didn't want to admit that I hated myself.

I also used to say "fag" a lot more when I was angry but I stopped.

8. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I said that all men do not have vaginas. I think that made some members upset.

9. RawringTiger

Every time when I was 11 and I would see two gay people holding hands or kissing I'd say to my friends 'They are so gay they probably non stop butt fuck' and sometimes I'd shout 'Penis Tosser' 'Captain Cockwash' 'Professor ButtPlug'.
    Now I look back on that I see how much of a t**t I was

10. English Frenchman

At least you were inventive with the names! When I was six, I had just found out the word “Poofter”. So, naturally, when I went to go see my gay uncle in Cambridge, I greeted him by saying “Hello, Sir Poofter!”

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I'm fairly sure I might have said some incensitive things when I was young, but for the life of my can't remember any specific examples.

12. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mum said that once, so that makes me feel better actually. If you can 'go gay' after saying that you can definitely 'go pro-gay' :slight_smile:

I'm pretty sure I've probably said some slightly ignorant things about bisexuals. It was my own ignorance about bisexuality that stopped me from realising I was bi for so long, as stupid as that sounds... why are humans so ridiculous? Lol.

I think I may have said or agreed with the whole, "if I were gay I'd want a woman who looked like a woman" idea that I always hear straight people say. But now I think butch is hot :slight_smile:

This is a really interesting topic. It's made me think - one day someone could be pissing you off with their apparent homophobia, meet them ten years later and they might have figured out they're gay or bi... or tolerant. Weird.

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing I remember was this moment where I sort of bad mouthed a trans person for not going "all the way"...oh the irony of it all now.

14. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always been open to LGB's, but I struggled for a while to accept the T - I didn't really know much about transpeople. At the same time, I struggled to find ways to describe how I felt, since I didn't identify with my assigned gender myself, but I also didn't think I could be trans since I was born female. Looking back I feel like a real asshole, even though I didn't say much that I can remember that may have been offensive. :icon_redf :icon_redf :icon_redf :icon_redf :icon_redf

15. Data

Data Guest

I was upset that my sister kept trying to show me EVERY piece of Jonas Brothers merch that she owned. I said "They're fags. Why would I care abouy them? You think that purity ring is a real deal? It's their manager keeping them low key so all the girls like you will love them!"

When I talked about cars and said "the tranny" as in transmission, my HS friends would all laugh and make a transgender joke. I'd laugh, but now I don't. You never know who's in earshot.

Back when Ozone was still a band, a rumor spread that they were gay. I got so upset and would fight with people who said they were gay. It implied that being gay was wrong and that my favorite band wasn't wrong. Now, if someone says that they think a person's gay (in a negative light) I say "What if they are? Would that be an issue? I hope not..."

16. AmityRanch

N/A
    I was always accepting of the queer community.

17. Djinn

I have probably passed derogatory remarks to people of just about every gender and sexual orientation for one reason or another. Everyone is weird and confusing to me.

18. GayNerd

Hmm...

Nothing. Noting whatsoever. None, nadda, zipo, zip, zero. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I assumed transpeople were just confused, self-hating gays and I was "good" because I could accept myself as a lesbian.

:lol: Boy. That worked out well.

20. freeskies

I have never passed vile comments on the lgbt community because deep down I knew I was one of them.