1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intimidating people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zumbo, Jun 11, 2008.

1. zumbo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I recited in my Physics class this morning and I felt that I intimidated most of my classmates. I wanted to impress my professor but I didn't like to appear airy to my classmates.

This usually happens and I feel bad about it because I either scare people away or make them expect too much from. I just want to speak smartly without appearing arrogant. Please advise. :icon_sad:

2. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

I disagree with my physics teacher about a dimension that I theorized that deals with dilation. I try to prove my point, but both he and I realize that I need more evidence. He's surely impressed that I would take a stand against a field-physicist, and agrees that theories, whether proven or not, are a good idea.
    I've found in college its all about you and the teacher. Honestly classmates don't really matter, you're in school for your development, not your classmates' development.

3. Trumpetplyer23

Nicvcer is right, school is for YOUR development, not your classmates' development.

I've been in a similar situation, except it was English instead of Physics, I'm only in High School, mind you, but the situation was the same. Anyways, we were presenting poetry (free verse, to be exact), and the teacher read mine aloud and she says "Well, who do you think wrote that" and everyone looks at her, and says "Sarah" together.

You shouldn't feel bad for having some intelligence, dumbing yourself down for others only hurts yourself.

4. zumbo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks. I feel relieved now.

5. Vampyrecat

Yeah don't worry about it.

I actually correct my Chemistry teacher a lot because
    a) She cannot spell for shite and no teacher, no matter what field they are in, should be unable to spell, and
    B), she has half her theories the wrong way around.

Don't worry about it. School is all about you and the way you learn best. If you learn best by arguing with your teacher then by all means argue away. Just try to be polite and considerate when you do so.