1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UKIP (United Kingdom Independence Party)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

Even though I live in Ireland I am a UK Citizen. I am terrified of the rise of UKIP in the UK, they are full of homophobes, some of the members advocate Reparative Therapy for us (google UKIP homophobia), they are against same sex marriage, and I have just received a barrage of homophobic abuse from them on Yahoo Answers just asking a question about EU politics (I was informed that MI5 monitored gay organisations incase we defected into the USSR, how this is true or even relevant I don't know) .

Am I the only one scared of this type of politics appearing over here?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The UK does have a history with flirting among the fascists, including Mosley's party in the 1930's:

British Union of Fascists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I doubt this lot will do much better in the polls...The Brits that I know are a generally sensible people and won't let these morons have power...unless things have changed radically...

3. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    The people from that party are some of the nastiest, most disrespectful people I've ever encountered. I used to frequent another form that had a loud-mouthed UKIP Libertarian who would regularly undercut threads with a leftist slant, transforming threads into flame wars, and ruthlessly denigrating anyone who disagreed with his genocidal rants. It's a party centered on opposing minorities, and they don't even seem to have any policies outside those targeting minorities.

They're definitely a covert Fascist party, which is why their leaders and members regularly get caught making nazi salutes. Even more concerning is that this hate group is gaining grounds off a campaign that amounts to nothing but hatred for minorities and gays. On the surface they espouse freedom from government, but as we all know that's not what Libertarianism is, but the ukip isn't even Libertarian - It combines the worst elements of conservatism with Fascism. As their tractions grows, so does the danger that they present. And again, these people really are sick. The guy I mentioned from the other forum fantasized about nuking every Muslim country on earth, deporting all Muslims from Europe, and once tried to justify the murder of a Palestinian youngster who got caught in the crossfire from the Israel army. They're a middle class version of the BNP, plain and simple.

The big issue here is that those people are ego-maniacs, the kind who want to make harassment legal. The impetus for their behavior is their own insecurities and lack of self-esteem, so they want to bully others (gays and muslims) just to make themselves feel big. They threaten others, they fantasize about exterminating the "undesirables" they want to silence opposition; is that the sign of a good following?

#3 AtheistWorld, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. Siarad

Can't say too much about UKIP that is postable but suffice to say I agree with the comments above.

The other very frustrating thing about UKIP is all the working class people who appear to believe that Farage is 'an ordinary working class (white) bloke speaking out for the concerns of ordinary working class (white) British people' - when in fact he has lived in extreme wealth his whole life and escapes paying UK tax by hiding all his money in tax havens abroad.

We had a number of UKIP councillors voted in locally during the last elections and not one of them has turned up to a council meeting or taken on any local cases.

I really hope you're right about them not rising in power, greatwhale - but things are getting odd and British papers are currently allowed to print whatever nonsense they like on the front page (with a clear intent to stir up Racism and paranoia, then if they are found to be out and out lying, they only have to print a tiny apology on page 34) - so people are not really getting access to the reasonable and honest arguments. I've had such debates with people and it is impossible to get past the media brainwashing.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, neo-Fascism is getting scarily more popular in Britain and continental Europe. UKIP consists of heterosexual, well-off white men pretending to be representatives of the workers to get support. In the meantime, they'll vote against workers' rights, women's rights, anyone-who-isn't-a-rich-heterosexual-white-male's rights.

Have you read their policies on women and race? It's the same stuff Hitler used with gender, and basically the same stuff about Islam that Hitler used against Jews.

6. Harve

They won't last once everyone realises how their policies are non-existent or not credible, or once they realise that they won't get a single seat in 2015 thanks to our broken political system (which in this case I'm thankful for!).

They're more of a protest against the three main parties in England rather than because of having a fantastic set of credible policies that appeal to people. The three main parties, or the politicians within them, are often portrayed as being 'all the same' and the expenses scandals a few years back definitely helped that opinion become widespread. UKIP are seen as separate as unlike Lib/Tories/Labour they're not 'out of touch' and 'represent the views of ordinary people', as their supporters would say.

And I say England here because it's no coincidence that UKIP are nothing in Scotland. Scotland have the SNP, who have astonishingly good poll/satisfaction ratings given that they're in government and in mid-term. The SNP also serve as an alternative protest party against the main three (seen even more in Scotland as 'all the same' because all are anti-independence by and large), so the need for UKIP as a protest party is less here.

I realise not everything I'm saying here is true, but I reckon it sums up how many other voters see it.

The European Elections next year I'm very fearful for, though. We could end up with swarms of Eurosceptic MEPs, not just from the UK but elsewhere too.

7. Beware Of You

I remember reading an article by the head of Plaid Cymru who said there is a gap for a SNP/PC equivalent in England (i.e Liberal Left) I can imagine it being really popular in the North where I have spent most of my life. Even the actual of founder of UKIP is horrified how right wing his old party has one, he is considering a Liberal Left as well in similar vain

Another idea I have, England is dominated by London and the South East, the North is a lot worse off by the current system than the south east, everything is overly London centric. I had a laugh a lot of the YES vote claims also apply to the North of England.

8. Siarad

As I've said elsewhere - I would rather see Regional Devolution across the whole of Britain (including English Regions) whilst maintaining a central government. We're too small an island to split ourselves up further completely (and I like Scotland, I'd miss it!) but we need something that acknowledges the cultural and political differences between regions. In my experience, devolution works well in Wales (can't speak for Scotland as I haven't lived there), allowing the benefits of Britain but allowing Wales to vote for a government more representative of them. I saw an interview with Ian Rankin talking about Scottish Independence (I felt he gave a very good, balanced arguments on the pros and cons) and he pointed out that Scotland have more giant pandas than Tory MPs, so asking them to be governed by this Conservative-led government in London really isn't on, and I could see his point there. I think maybe Regional Devolution might make people feel like they could have some more say.

Whilst I see Plaid Cymru and SNP as being less objectionable than the English nationalist parties, I still find nationalism very uncomfortable as they seem like parties who put national identity first and supporting people's day-to-day lives second. I also had unfortunate experiences with very aggressive Plaid Cymru members when at uni, who attacked a friend of mine (who is Welsh and whose mother was in Plaid) for handing out leaflets for a different party.

9. Sitri

I'm no expert in politics, but this reminds me a lot of America's "Gilded Age". Gilded meaning it looks gold but leaves a weird green mark on your finger. It appeared to be a progressive time (floods of immigrants, transcontinental railroads, women's rights movements) but the politics were flooded with corruption. To say nothing of the many scandals monopolies or folks like Boss Tweed, a lot of the politics dealt with resisting the change. The KKK surged the "know-nothing" party was founded with the sole purpose of closing the borders and kicking immigrants back to whence the came. Ideas like social Darwinism (we are rich because we are better than you) appeared and the government responded harshly to any labor unions. But in time it passed and gave way to the progressive era.

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one thing I remember from UKIP is one of their head honchos said that physical education keeps boys from turning gay, because being surrounded by hot, sweaty guys changing in locker rooms will totally turn and keep you straight. /sarcasm/

11. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  12. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    UKIP are scary and incompetent.

I just hope that when the real election comes around the voting public will come to their senses.

:rolle:

13. LiquidSwords

The nationalist and far right movement in the UK is pathetic when compared to the continent, compare BNP to FN in France for example. UKIP only remain vaguely popular because they're just about managing to convince people that they're not seriously racist, homophobic and sexist, but it won't last long and people won't have time for that. People support them mainly because they are Eurosceptic and not a lot else, soon the veil will fall and people will realise they're just a more polite version of BNP/EDL and that'll be it. Not long ago everyone panicked about the BNP's rise and now the party is almost dead, it's only Farage keeping the party afloat atm but it won't last forever.

People will vote for them in the European elections on their anti EU agenda and not much else, in the next general election it's almost impossible to imagine that they'll win even a single seat. Any votes they do collect will come mainly from former Tory voters anyway so it's not all bad :icon_bigg