1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is "genderqueer"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Incognito10, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Incognito10

I see this as some peoples orientation. Also, is it different from "gay" for example? For example, if I am a gay man and do not typically fit into the stereotype for my gender, does that mean I am "genderqueer"? If so, is that really an orientation, or just a description of how masculine or feminine I am?

2. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I'll just copy my answer from a similar thread:
    Reasons I identify as genderqueer (not saying these are absolute criteria though):
    1. If I were to wake up as a woman tomorrow, I wouldn't mind at all.
    2. Half the time I identify with and communicate with women easier than with my male peers.
    3. Some of my behaviour is considered quite feminine, yet it feels right/natural to me.
    4. I do not care whether someon calls me he or she. (Often strangers on the phone assume I'm a woman)
    In short saying "I'm a man" doesn't feel right/comfortable in any other sense beyond biological/physical.

Basically genderqueer is an umbrella term for a range of people who don't identify with their biological or birth gender.
    At it's broadest this can include transgender people, but mostly it's people who identify as multiple, intergender or no specific gender at all. Can be people like me, can also be people who switch; one day they feel particularly feminine, then next masculine.

Hope that clears things up.

#2 Linthras, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always understood the term to be something similar to "androgyne" which is basically the "middle" of the male-female spectrum. However, instead of it being in the middle, it could be in any range of genders. And not so much as genderfluid, as I've understood that to be that your gender would constantly be in flux.

Honestly? I'd take what I said with a grain of salt and focus more on what Linthras said.

4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Nice avatar/nickname. Gravitation rocks! :thumbsup:

5. Incognito10

Linthras, I feel I meet much of the same criteria as you. Thanks for your explanation.

I suppose I am a "gay, genderqueer," if that makes sense. I would say my style, mannerisms, dress and outlook is more genderqueer.

:slight_smile:

6. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Sure that makes sense.
    Sexuality =/= genderidentity.
    Being gay, unless meant in an extremely broad way, means being attracted to the same sex. It says nothing about the gender you identify with.
    Even if you mean gay in the general sense of not being cisgendered heterosexual, it still makes sense because it at least clarifies your gender identity.

Feel free to PM with any questions, btw.

7. Beware Of You

i am gender queer -

1. My gender varies from one day to the next, one day I am a happy guy, the next I could feel like a girl, the next I could be kinda agendered if that makes any sense
    2. I wouldn't care if my body is a guy or a girl, sometimes I think about transistioning, sometimes I dont'
    3. I have a girl version of me, sometimes I write down my feelings when I am her, she has a name etc.
    4. The people who know refer to me in genderless pronouns it helps sometimes
    5. I dress unisex, so not overly manly or girly

8. Incognito10

QUOTE]Feel free to PM with any questions, btw.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will probably take you up on that as I have really talked to no one about this.

Thanks for sharing...very interesting as I identify with some of this too, especially the desire to dress more unisex.