1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Straight Alliance

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by piezzo08, Jun 12, 2008.

1. piezzo08

piezzo08 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What is that. I heard some say that their school has one. Does my school have one??

2. Trumpetplyer23

A gay straight alliance is where people (gay, straight, bi) get together and learn to respect each other and stuff. It's like a club, sorta, you hang out with the people there. Other than that I don't know much about that.

I don't know if your school has one, you can find out by asking your principal.

My school doesn't have one :frowning2:.

3. Davey

tried to make one at my school but my making it they were saying they would have to stop a whole bunch of other clubs and we didn't want to do that! though we want our rights we didn't want to have to have a whole bunch of others give up their hobbies. its wasn't very fun but there was an understanding that we could meet in school it just wouldn't be a "school" group.
    but me and my friends got lazy and never got around to it lol.

4. Andrew

Our Gay Straight Alliance is called " Prism " its actually pretty cool, even though I am not in it o_o

5. sdc91

Mine has one called IMAGE, but no one has any clue what the acronym stands for.

6. Malchik89

I had a GSA at my highschool, it was pretty successful, it actually educated alot of people who just didnt know much about LGBT. When i got to college im joining the one called EIU Pride xD

7. jazzrawr

Our school had one, but it got stopped by the KFC (Kids For Christ). I was pretty mad, but this was last year when i was waaaaaaay in the closet and didnt do anything. Now we just don't have one anymore.
    But yeah, basically it's a club where gay/bi people can meet and talk, and straight people who are accepting can come and talk too, and its so that you can have a safe and accepting environment.

8. LOVEjames

I started the one at my school, and it was the very first club established, along with the most populous. ;D But like everyone said, it's where LGBTQ people can talk about whatever they want and feel safe. They can also come up with some plans of things to do (Such as the Day of Silence), as well as awareness projects. :slight_smile:

9. sexyalex

GSA is illigal here:tears:
    start one and i might get expelled or worse, killed!:confused:

10. Tim

Tim

GSA at our school was caled YEAH, Youths (something) Against Homophobia. I never joined as I was too scared, my friends were in it though :S

11. sdc91

E=Everywhere?

12. Hoppip

Intensly Magnificent Awesomely Gay Enforcers!

I'm so sorry...

13. MeskElil

Man, I wish my school had one! But of course, it's a stupid Catholic school (I can't say enough times how much I hate those plaid skirts) and so if it says something in the Bible, it's WRONG. *sigh* Well, my friend and I are probably the only ones there who are gay/lesbian.
    *sigh*
    God, I wish!

14. Davey

you know you can sue for that?
    as long as your not throwing riots and stuff its your RIGHT to have a GSA if you please. Our school was going to let us have one they just advised us that it would take out the Proteens (Christian group), bowling, and other groups of the sort. We didn't' want that so we stopped.

you should look up your laws and rights!
    :grin:

we did!
    (*hug*)good luck(*hug*)

15. step49x

Well, from all the responses, I'm sure you know know what they are. How do you find one? Well, that really depends on how out you are. If you're completely out, I would have guessed that you'd have found it by now. If you have friends that you don't mind knowing/already know, then you could ask them if they've heard of one. Otherwise (if you're not out and don't want people to know), keep your eyes open during the school year. See if any announcements are made, or if any advertisements are put up. Also, if you have a teacher that you know and trust (and who won't rat you out if you don't want them to), you could ask them if they've heard if your school has a GSA.

16. PatC

We had a gay dating service, with a homophobe running it(wonderful concept there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). Even I voted to shut that one down....

17. Hoppip

We have a GSA...

But...

My ex-girlfriend AND my two-day ex-boyfriend (dated for two days) are there. And I hate all the people so much. They are lazy and they DON'T CLEAN!

Seriously. Stinky people. >_<

Gah. For the annual Performing Arts Fest, they signed up for the SIMPLE TASK of supplying drinks. And they didn't. So everyone went thirsty because the vending machines were out.

I don't go to GSA. I've given up, they're pathetic.

18. Tim

Tim

You dated someone for 2 days? :confused:

Anyways, yea, I never saw a point in our GSA. There was a very small group of people, and they went a little overboard on the homecoming float (Everyone in rainbow skates, rainbow bands, shirts, headbands, following a float entirely covered in rainbows).

Today my sister and mom had a convo.

Sis: Mom, you can't wear those rainbow earrings, it means Gay Pride! (right in front of me)
    Mom: Well that explains the looks I got at church, but I'm tired of gay people stealing my color! (Again, in front of me -.-)
    Sis: (Can't remember what she said, all I remember is it had the word fags in it, and had to hold myself back from exploding at her) >.>

19. pirateninja

I think GSA's are a good idea. Just knowing that a school has a GSA, even if you don't attend it, means that you know that the school you go to supports anti-homophobia. You have somewhere to go for resources, help, advice if there is a dire situation and you need IRL support.

20. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've actually never heard of an Australian school having a GSA. I go to a church school, anyway, so I doubt it could happen. We don't really have any sort of student organisations or anything like that.