1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ba92, Nov 15, 2013.

1. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm looking for opinions from diffedrent perspectives in life btw.
    Do you think being raised and care giving mainly by females play a role in the feminine behavior in males (gay or straight)?
    And hypothetically speaking, if you are a fem gay does it make being close with other male family members (that were not care givers in your life) difficult?

2. The first part is just nonsensical Freudian psychology, where we have "the absent father figure and overbearing mother creates homosexual men" thing going on.

3. Hexagon

No.

And unfortunately, sometimes, but that is the decision of the aforementioned male family members. And regardless, I'd say that a mix of male and female traits in anyone is preferable to 100% male or female. Its just part of a well balanced personality.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The studies have shown that being raised by a female mother doesn't have any impact on the long-term development/behavior of a child.

5. Ludlow

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    No, being raised by women doesn't make one Gay. I believe it can affect males mannerisms and influence his likes and dislikes greatly. It can even make him seem more feminine, but has no affect on sexuality

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Do you think being raised and care giving mainly by females play a role in the feminine behavior in males (gay or straight)?"

It could potentially affect certain mannerisms but I don't see why it would affect sexuality. Otherwise you would expect to see the children of most single mothers to be gay. Same goes for almost anyone born before the gender-divide started to smudge, when the women did the child-rearing.

"And hypothetically speaking, if you are a fem gay does it make being close with other male family members (that were not care givers in your life) difficult?"

That would depend entirely on the family member. There is no reason to suggest that just being 'fem gay' as you call it makes it inherently difficult to bond with other males.

7. photoguy93

I don't think it has anything to do with sexuality. I think that if there's some higher number somewhere, it might just be that someone who was raised by women is more open? Not everyone who is LGBT is out!

I do think it can bring out different mannerisms. If you are a guy, and raised solely by women, you probably won't feel the need to be such a hard ass. My best friends boyfriend was raised with 3 other sisters. His father was present, but that's still a lot of girls! He's one of the sweetest guys I know and is just an all around nice guy. Much better than any other one I know.

8. Khadian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My dad was always working... never around... was just my mom and sister mostly. Did I pick up some of their mannerisms? Yeah, probably the using my hands too much. Did it make me gay? That is a huge resounding NO. When I came out to my folks... did it twice... the first they told me that I was just confused and should have sex with a woman to make sure. Umm...sorry... not treating a woman like a piece of meat to find out my sexual orientation. The second time my mother felt that it was due to drugs she was given during her pregnancy and my father felt like he failed me in some way. I told them it was totally out of their control and had nothing to do with the way they raised me. The household I was raised in was very purist/catholic environment where sex and touching oneself was taboo and my parents weren't the type to hold hands and kiss or anything like that. Sooo... where did the dreams come from that I had about other guys? Why was it that I got aroused seeing guys in the underwear section of the clothing store catalog? If there was a "bubble" where someone did not get any sort of stimuli from the household with respect to sexual interests, I was in it, and I can tell you... my being gay had nothing to do with being my mom's little boy... :wink:

9. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the insight guys, its really appreciated. although, I feel my question may have been took out of context by a few. I never asked if being raised by females makes you gay. I asked if it can play a role in male's behavior.

10. no - my mother was pretty much the dominate one but my step father was in the house hold and I had two half brothers I am still lesbian

I think the whole thing is innate

11. Projectfabulous

I too did a lot of hanging out with my mom and sister and I believe that it probably influenced a lot of my interests. For example we watched a lot of "girl'' shows like Project Runway and America's Next Top Model (I love both Mr. and Ms. J haha), which is probably what peaked my interest in fashion. But, like Khadian said, it definitely didn't make me gay.

12. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Facial expressions are genetic... weird enough. They found that out in blind people.
    So maybe some mannerism is also. But that means you can get it from both parents and not from observing them.

No. If there are difficulties, it´s for other reasons.
    Your relatives KNOW you. It´s not like you make a first impression which puts them off.

#12 Boyfriend, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  13. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Interesting question - I think it does, to a point, but mostly when the mom and other female adults/older siblings exhibit mostly stereotypical female behaviours. If on the other hand mom and aunts and much older sister are all about fixing their own cars and playing softball and camping and arguing politics and drinking beer etc... the younger male child might just pick up those behaviours, which are thought to be stereotypically male. I'm talking behaviours/interests/mannerisms, not sexual orientation. And that scenario is one of the reasons I think it's important to have a mix of female and male teachers in elementary schools.