1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Costco!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Who here loves Costco? I know I do. I usually go there on weekends to freeload off of their free samples LOL But I just love their merchandise. They sell them in bulk so I don't have to go there often. I usually go about twice a month.

I love their business model. The Costco CEOs show that they care about their workers' welfare. Their model is pretty much "high wages, low prices." Our U.S minimum wage is $7.25 ($8.00 in California), and Costco pays $11 an hour as a starting point and increases to $18.00 after a year (or less). I also like that Costco is pro-gay as well.

2. AKTodd

My partner and I literally go to Costco every weekend. We do the majority of our food and household shopping there.

It's to the point where we know a bunch of the staff by name and the last time I went by myself someone basically said 'you're alone today?!'. We've been going to our local store for over 10yrs now, I believe.

Todd:slight_smile:

3. love their philosophy - can't be a member - a room mate stole my truck YEP stereotypical lesbian (that's me) - had a truck - and now I only have a bicycle, so I can't get the huge loads on it.

4. Hrantou

I used to love going there as a kid because I just wanted free samples. All the free samples I could get :grin:

5. Tzoa

How could I have forgotten about the free samples?? My family and I used to go a lot, but after moving around a bit we cancelled our membership, and just recently got a membership for Sam's Club. I call it Costco on accident all the time. We chose Sam's over Costco because of there was a living social deal for it. If it weren't for that deal, we would have gone back to Costco.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like Costco. I have a membership. Samples are the first thing to come to mind. You can make a lunch out of them. Then, there's that $1.50 hot dog and refillable soft drink, that $1.95 slice of pizza, or that uber-filling $2.95 chicken bake. I've backed off on the chicken bake.

As for food, I don't usually buy it there. It's way too bulk-y. For that, it's the supermarket and Trader Joe's. However, I find that there are actually good deals on name brand jeans and shirts many times, so I'll buy those.

Also, I've seen some real eye candy working at Costco. The nearby one has about 5 hot employees. One thing that pisses me off is how some of the sample people act, and I'm not talking about eating too much at their stations. Some of them are from foreign countries and, even when no one is lined up, a couple of them get really snippy about your practicing their native tongue with them. So I asked an American employee who did sample work if there was something in their training that said they shouldn't do that. He said no, that employees were free to do so as long as they were also doing their job. I almost wanted to tell this one sample person "Va te faire foutre" the next time I went in there, but I didn't.

While I'm not in love with Costco, it has its good points.

7. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Costco! My mom has had a membership there for so long, I always remember going there and wandering off to look at the electronics and getting the free samples when I was younger. My mom would be so pissed because I would get full on the samples. :roflmao:

Hey I've got family in Rosemead! :icon_bigg

8. Silver Sparrow

I like the idea of Costco, but going always makes me anxious. I just hate crowds and I always feel overwhelmed.

9. RainyViolinist

I go to Sam's Club which is basically like Costco, and I love it! The free samples are basically the only reason why I go, that and the food court thingy where everything's like a dollar :grin:.

10. Tzoa

I used to love those chicken bakes. And their berry smoothies. Now I want to go there.

11. Khadian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My partner and I have been waiting for a Costco to go up by us. All we have around here are Sam's clubs :/ If you are on the east coast, BJ's is also really nice. I actually like them better than Costco because they accept all major credit cards and have really good produce/meat, but I'll definitely take Costco over Sam's and really like what they do for their workers :slight_smile:

I like the Haagen-Dazs ice cream bars with the chocolate/almonds on the outside... deeelish!

12. Hiems

Haha, me too. I always got free samples from wholesale stores like Costco and BJ's.

I also like the chicken bake from Costco. It's a dough filled with bacon, cheese, and chicken. Chicken bake is similar to a Hot Pocket but bigger. So yummy :icon_bigg

13. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    They're a more humane version of Capitalism, so I accept them.

14. prism

Once you shop at Sam's Club, you can never go back to Costco. So much cheaper!

15. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I bought some cheap $5 t-shirts at Sam's, then I bought some as Costco. I gotta say the ones at Sam's club were better. The Costco ones shrink, and the Sam's club ones don't.

16. AKTodd

We've done both Sam's Club and Costco and vastly prefer Costco, actually. We like their products better and since we feel the need to take our souls out and dry clean them any time we are forced to buy anything from Wal-mart (and Sam's is a subsidiary of Wally World), we dropped our membership ages ago and switched to Costco.

We've also had a BJs membership up until this year, but we kind of changed our eating habits and stopped buying most of what we got from them. It got so that the membership wasn't really paying for itself (we have the executive Costco membership and the cashback rebates pay our membership dues and then some virtually every year) we didn't renew this time around.

Todd

17. KazTastic

We've got a few good deals from there, but Aldi is far better value for money. Plus, we don't buy much packaged junk food, which is mostly what Costco sells.

18. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some of the products are good deals, usually decent quality, but you need to be able to use the large quantities (or store them) - better for families, or roommates who buy as a group. The other issue is limited varieties/brands for specific products, or bundling of varieties (for example 4 boxes of crackers stuck together and there's one you really wouldn't buy on its own).

As a single guy I go probably 5-6 times a year, one day should do the math and see if there actually is a cost saving. At least I know I'm not running out of shaving blades for another year :wink:.

19. It would be great if I could find someone in town to split trips - I could start saving. The problem is finding someone who shops for similar items as I do, if we are getting widely disparate things there is no savings.

So far the only other people I know are much younger girls and real partier's - so they would be going for things like flats of hard liquor. Half a case of Jack Daniels is about a centuries supply for me.

I need things like a big supply of Ritz crackers, Organic peanut butter, Those things.

20. lukeluvznicki13