1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic teachers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Nov 15, 2013.

1. person57

Hi guys, have any of you had or have a homophobic teacher? If so, how did you deal with it?

2. Ibz

Ibz

My health teacher my freshman year of high school said a few homophobic things. None were directed at me (I was super deep in the closet then) or really anyone in particular in the class, but it definitely bothered me. But, of course, I was too scared to say anything.

3. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I expect to deal with transphobic teachers in the summer when I resume my education.
    as for dealing with them, I would probably just ignore them, no matter how tempting it may be to wrangle with them.

At the end of the semester don't they give you the opportunity to answer a survey and rate the teacher's performance? That would be the optimal time to criticie the teacher for their abuse since you wouldn't have to worry about any conflicts influencing the grade you get.

The evil teachers unions don't give a care about the students, so unless a homophobe teacher strangles you, they won't get terminated, and presumable your teacher is in a union, thus he/she's emboldened by their tenureship knowing they can get away with abusing their power. Sadly, the best thing you can do is submit a negative review of their performance as a teacher, but I don't think you'll accomplish much.

Can you transfer? Probably the only viable solution..

4. PalestrinaMX

I did, when I was in 5th grade. Although at the time I didn't realize why he was different with mean/cold with me.

5. Hrantou

My PE teacher and the school football coach were really homophobic (big surprise) but I also attribute it to being a catholic school. But the rest of the teachers were actually really supportive.

Anyway, the only way I got through it was to just avoid contact, do the work in class and just leave. In the end their just my teachers so they're just supposed to teach me. That's how I saw it.

6. lukeluvznicki13

My Biology said some homophobic things but I don't think she actually meant it.
    My school seems to have a few LGBT staff anyways so I don't think there would be a lot of homophobic remarks except from the Religious Studies teacher.

7. Hexagon

I had a teacher say 'tranny' yesterday. At least that means she doesn't know I'm trans, right?

8. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In sixth form when we had sexual "education". When we did homosexuality the teacher said some homophobic things. Such as "that's a lesbian notice how she looks like a man". And I had to listen to people's fucked up homophobic views. Including the it's not natural agruement and the "a children need a mother and a father" bs.

9. Siarad

Can I just say that as much I would be horrified by homophobic teachers and fully support their dismissal (and it concerns me deeply how many people have experienced homophobia amongst their teachers, I never witnessed any homophobia from teachers as a pupil or a teacher and I hope never to), I am a member of one of those teaching unions described as 'evil' and I think that is a most unfair generalisation. Teachers unions (like all unions) were set up to defend teachers from unfair prejudice and dismissal. A service set up to protect teachers from the myriad of attacks, unfair treatment and false allegations that are so often levelled at them. The same unions would be in place to protect a gay teacher who was facing unfair dismissal because of homophobic school managers, parents who suddenly decide that they want them fired because they don't want a gay teacher teaching their children or pupils who have decided to make a false allegation against the teacher because they think they can get away with it because people will believe that 'gay' equates to 'paedophile'.

#9 Siarad, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  10. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have had a special Ed teacher that was homophobic and never had any control of her classroom. She always just texted on her cell phone or was on the computer. She let homophobia run wild in that room for four painful years. She even made remarks herself. A very inactive. Having a disability does not justify homophobia.

11. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't recall any openly homophobic teachers. Section 28/2A was still in force up until my second year of high school though, so I don't recall homosexuality even being discussed.

12. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I apologize if that offended you, but I was referring to the American teachers unions, the corrupt ones that protect teachers who abuse children be it verbally, physically and sexually. I didn't mean to suggest your union was anything like that, but the way the teachers unions operate here is that once teachers obtain tenure, they're almost immune to any repercussions for not adhering to an ethical code of conduct. It takes teachers 3 years to get tenure, so after that it's quite difficult to remove them, no matter how violent they are, no matter how incompetent they are.

I don't know how effective they are at protecting the jobs of queer teachers, but it isn't uncommon to hear of a gay teacher being fired. It's definitely an honorable goal to protect queer teachers, but the unions here don't make that a priority, nor is their objective to improve the education. Rather, they make their goal about protecting bad teachers, demanding higher pay, and sucking the public taxes in order to accomplish their goals. In my view, this is unethical because the public isn't permitted a say about the self-serving teacher's unions who's teachers get away with abusing children.

The public sector pays the teachers wages, not the government, even though the government is their designated employer. They suck up the money from the students they teach, all the while depriving their parents of a say in their children's education, and allowing toxic teachers to remain teaching.

#12 AtheistWorld, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  13. Sitri

Whenever the topic comes up, most of my teachers seemed pretty fine with it. Of course, there are rumors about one teacher being gay (normally I pay no mind to rumors, but when even my parents are convinced of it...) so that would probably make it difficult for a teacher to be homophobic without him finding out about it.

14. Joe54321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My class had lessons on homosexuality, they where quite good and helped me a lot, the teacher was approachable and not homophobic. They where based on a character and discussing his scenarios.

15. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, let's just make assumptions based on the fact they teach Religious Studies. :dry:

Anyways, I haven't had any homophobic teachers myself. Most of my high school teachers were very accepting and overall good people. I think the only teacher that made a blatant negative comment about LGBT+ people was a PE teacher. But overall he was pretty much a stereotypical mean jock kind of guy.

16. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The times, they are a changing.

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am lucky to have never had an overtly homophobic teacher and actually to have some who were pretty liberal and supportive.

18. Gallatin

I don't think I've ever had an outwardly homophobic teacher. I've had a few who perhaps wouldn't be first in line at the next pride parade, but none who ever said homophobic stuff or used homophobic slurs. Several teachers who I had were extremely supportive of their gay students/gay rights in general. Suppose I've been quite lucky in that regard.

19. blueberrymuffin

Yeah this comes with the territory of such an underwhelming K-12. The teachers are too often the types who just want to return to high school. They know they can't get away with taking part in bullying, but they certainly did nothing when blatantly homophobic comments were made at me and some others, right in their class. With such a terrible learning environment, I'd rather we shut down schools and lay off these so called adults.

20. UpInTheAir

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a homophobic religion teacher and a homophobic maths teacher in middle school and a transphobic religion teacher in high school (that's quite normal, they teach catholic religion)

The one in middle school used to have stupid talks about why homosexuality it's bad with the class. I usually tried to spoke my mind but then i stopped because my whole class was homophobic and i got attacked by them all. While the maths teacher just used to give mean looks to every link with homosexuality.

The teacher I had last year in high school was the worst. When he found out i was trans he got really angry and he had a talk with the whole class telling them not to accept me and that i'm too young and stuff (i wasn't in the class a the time. He spoke to them behind my back). When i got into the room one of my classmates told me what happened (basically the teacher got angry because he thought i was a guy and treated me like that until that time). That destroyed me because for the first time i had a class that would accept me (someone didn't but most did) and then he had to try and ruin my hard work, so i started panicking and when i went home I had an urge to binge and then throw up, and that's how i spent the afternoon.