1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funny fact?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lunarchy, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Lunarchy

Does anyone know any funny stories or facts? ^)^

My friend just told me one today still has me laughing!

Did you know, here in Sweden back when being gay was considered a sickness, several people called in "Sick with gay" as a protest? I thought that was both clever and hilarious!!

2. GayNerd

The more intelligent the monkey, the more feces they fling. :wink:

3. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Having soup once a week can literally make you live for up to two years longer.
    Why soup, of all food?

4. Tyrael

I do like soup :slight_smile:

5. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Quarreling is a sign of a healthy relationship as long as it doesn't happen all the time. If you quarrel, it means you care about each other. Conversely never quarreling is a sign that you're apathetic to the relationship. It's good to quarrel now and then.

6. GayNerd

Amen to liking soup! :grin:

7. Tyrael

Guess I'll chuck this one in: when someone tickles you, the laughter is a panic response. You can't tickle yourself, because your body doesn't sense any real danger.

Also, I will live longer due to my love of soup (!)

8. Data

Data Guest

How about this one:

Bananas are radioactive. Some of the Potassium in the banana is K40 which is a radioisotope. It decays in a small percentage of events by releasing a positron. A positron is an anti-electron.

Therefore, the banana that you eat gives off antimatter within your stomach.

Antimatter is not just sci-fi.

---------- Post added 16th Nov 2013 at 08:18 PM ----------

Billions of neutrinos stream through your THUMBNAIL every second. They are so small they don't usually collide with anything. You could pass 10 neutrinos through a light year long bar of lead and 5 of them would come out the other side having avoided any collision with another particle or lead nucleus. The sun gives off most of the neutrinos that are passing through you right now. Even as you sleep and the earth comes between you and the sun, the amount of neutrinos that pass through you remains unchanged because they can traverse the entire planet unscathed.

Last one: The amount of Argon (which is a noble gas) in the atmosphere has remained unchanged since the earth coalesced from the proto-solar system. Therefore, you breathe the same Argon that the dinosaurs breathed. You usually breathe in around 15 Argon atoms twice in your lifetime. They will travel around the world until you eventually breathe them in again. Any animals that have ever lived have breathed in the same Argon over and over again.

I use dinosaur breath for welding. :slight_smile:

#8 Data, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  9. Sitri

This is my... subject of expertise. Look up the story of the USS William D Porter, which accidently nearly killed FDR three times, and was later greeted by other ships with "Don't shoot, we're Republicans!" Or maybe the time Hannibal killed much of his own army by starting an avalanche with his cane/lance (sources disagree). Perhaps mythology is more your style. If you look, ancient Egyptians carved a TON of phalluses. The god Min is always erect, and I seem to recall some creature using his penis to keep gates closed but don't quote me on that. Then in Norse myth, the ancestor of all peasants is named Karl. Hear his name and tremble! Science? Dark matter was discovered by a women purposefully studying boring/unimportant things, because if she studied something like black holes another scientist might beat her to publication. The astronomer Tycho Brahe died because he was too polite to ask to use the toilet. His bladder burst and he died.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew some foods had natural radioactivity in tiny amounts, but not that it released an antimatter particle. SCIENCE!!!

11. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Tom Brady is the current record holder for most touchdown passes in an NFL season with 50, surpassing Peyton Manning's record of 49 in 2004. Interestingly enough, Peyton Manning is currently on track to break Brady's record.

12. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There were a few people who went onto the battlefield during WWII and played the bagpipes. What.

Even the KKK hates the Westboro Baptist Church!

There's a kind of fungus called Ophiocordyceps unilateralis that infects ants and makes them clamp onto a leaf and die. The corpse ends up with mushrooms growing out of it. I just gave a laconic description of the phenomenon known as "zombie ants".

It took 15 years for Duke Nukem Forever to come out due to an egregious case of development hell.

13. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't hate the Westboro Baptist Church.

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When creating Canberra, everyone was too lazy to decide how to pronounce the name, so there was a last-minute decision that when the Governor General's wife proclaimed it a city, her pronunciation would be the official one (she pronounced it "can-brah").

Funny to think that nobody really bothered with the name, or bothered to ask the local people whose language it came from how it was pronounced.

15. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The KKK seriously protested them. I am not being sarcastic.
    Plus, the WBC's website name is "God hates fags".
    They're like the final boss of the religious nuts.
    I'm a little curious, though. Why wouldn't you hate an institution like that?

#15 An Gentleman, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When the KKK deems something a hate-group, I think that's an indication of unimaginable idiocy on the part of both. :lol:

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You must not hate anyone at all then, because they are among the most deserving. I admire your love for humanity, seriously.

18. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    It takes more than some hate signs and protesting to get me to hate someone or something.

They're harmless. I don't see them advocating violence or attacking anyone.

Back on topic...

Betrothing children today would be regarded as shocking and immoral. But the average age of marriage was different a few centuries ago, with the average marriage happening in early teen years.

#18 AtheistWorld, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  19. Data

Data Guest

Ancient Chinese royalty used to drink a mixture of elemental Mercury and jade powder that they thought would bring them good health and long life.

:confused: I highly admire the Ancient Chinese for the inventions and science that came out of their society. This however, just tickles me!

20. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Speaking of ancient China, toilet paper was invented in China. The first toilet paper was only for use by the emperor.