1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

evergreen but in the dark .. how to navigate online support

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bigeden, Nov 17, 2013.

1. bigeden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hello everyone,
    i feel like i'm stepping out into the abyss.
    i want to connect with people. i want to give/get support but doing this online is so nebulous.
    it's hard for me to focus.
    year after year i try to get myself motivated to use these online forums to help myself but i don't feel i can trust this type of venue.
    i've searched for a space where i can communicate with local people as there will be a chance to meet in person. i guess i need that possibility to feel like these interactions will be authentic because i need something real.
    i'm not looking for sex. i want connection.. friends & family.
    does this make sense to anyone?
    in the offshoot you speak my language ... any gentle advice would be welcomed.
    (like for sites that are local , queer , not sex-focused , social networks
    t h a n k s!

2. AKTodd

Hi, Welcome to EC:smilewave

Without knowing your location (you don't have it listed on your post profile), it's not really possible to suggest 'local' resources, beyond something general like finding support groups, LGBT community centers, and Meetup groups in your area.

Beyond that, and based on the qualities you're looking for in a group, I'd actually say EC is your best option, with the one exception that it's not really 'local' in any sense of the word and real life meetings, while apparently something that does happen once in a blue moon, are not encouraged here for safety reasons.

That aside, I'd highly recommend hanging out here, checking out the various sub-forums, and taking part in any discussions (including the giving and receiving of support) that grab your interest.

Hope this helps,

Todd:slight_smile:

3. GayNerd

If you want to give/get support, EC always has room for anybody who follows the rules. You can continue your time on EC if you'd like.

Now, even though you will most likely not meet any people here on EC in person, it is a slight downfall if you want the in-person support. However, EC helps you connect to these people. And once you become a Full Member, you'll be able to further communicate with others here.

I hope this helps. (*hug*)