1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teachers Knowing your sexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PrinceOfAvalon, Nov 17, 2013.

1. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Does this bother you? Do you like it? is it inappropriate? Discuss

Recently, I was in an english class, discussing Elizabeth Proctor's faithfulness to John Proctor (woot Crucible :3) and i said "if my husband" -- My teacher stopped me and said "except it would be your wife" I kind of rudely scoffed at him and said whatever, and then he was like oh, oh oh, i mean... whoever you want. it was awkward to say the least because i have a crush on said-teacher xD

Now im pretty sure he knows, but still.

A very very similar situation happened in my advanced chemistry class (we were talking about affairs for some reason and my friend said "if my husband(she was talking about me) was cheating on me (again, ME xD) and the teacher was like "except wife" and she was so conflicted whether to accept the correction or not --- in the end she said whatever.

I personally kind of feel liberated having my teachers know my sexuality -- for one id love to see them treat me bad because of it -- id be on their asses like ... oh idk, something clever im tired, so sue me:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

On another hand, a lot of my teachers are kind of progressive, almost liberal kind of teachers and we talk current events, controversial topics just casually in many classes (especially english and history) so when i make a stance about things, it makes me happy that they can understand the gravity of my beliefs to an extent.

So yeah

Teachers knowing ur gender/sexuality (as in, something other than cis-straight) Discuss if theres anyone out there who cares.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say that some of my teachers know that I'm gay, since LGBT rights activism is probably one of my main focal points in papers and such, and in one such paper I came out to the teacher. However, there seems to be this one teacher that I have in Career and Family Leadership, and don't get me wrong, I like her as a teacher and everything and she's a nice woman, but she honestly does not get that I'm gay, no matter how many hints I drop. Like one day in class she was asking us if we were going to a dance, which I wasn't attending, and she's all like "Come on Bryan, you can just find a girl you like and ask her to dance with you, or something.", and me and my classmates kind of giggled to ourselves. I wear my gay pride bracelets in school every single day and she still doesn't know, and one girl was like "I just kind of want you to tell her you're gay next time," but honestly for me, if I want to tell the teacher I will, but if I find it pointless or a non-positive experience, I'll just keep my sexuality on a don't ask don't tell basis, because they don't really need to know what way I swing.

And I was also John Proctor in the Crucible! Wonderful play!

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course it's not inappropriate; they know about the sexuality of straight students most of the time.

There's not a thin line between appropriate and inappropriate; the difference is massive. If your teacher in any way sexualises you, that's inappropriate. If the teacher simply knows what your sexuality is, it doesn't matter.

When people say "it's inappropriate for students be out to teachers" or something along those lines, what they're really meaning is "get back in the closet, don't disturb my lovely heterosexual fairyland".

4. LongMayIReign

I told my English teacher through an assignment at the beginning of the year and I'm glad I did so she won't think I'm psychotic. See one day we were discussing how the ethics in To Kill a Mockingbird are applied today and she said "For example, not all gay men are exuberantly feminine," which made me crack up so badly because I break just about every lesbian stereotype, so I'm glad she knew because all my friends gave me weird looks XD

I wouldn't really care about teachers knowing my sexuality, except for my French teacher who is 100% convinced I'm straight and keeps implying that I'm dating the class president (she has asked me to stop flirting with him, made jokes about all the ladies being on him, once asked me to translate "I am happy that you have a boyfriend", stuff like that) I just don't want to break her little matchmaking heart haha.

But yeah, it wouldn't really bother me except for one of the special ed teachers who is my best friends mom. I just need to tell her in person and in time.

5. Tzoa

I don't think it's inappropriate at all. One of my teachers was the first person I kinda came out too, actually. Helps she is also the advisor of my school's LGBT club.

I'm really glad I told her. I'm almost 24, but still have a lot to figure out. It's nice having someone who's older and knows exactly what I'm going through. Right now know one else at my school knows, so it's nice to know someone is there who I trust and can talk to if I need advice.

6. Bibliophagus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have had exactly one teacher who I would not have minded knowing about my sexuality; with anyone else I would just be too uncomfortable to even bring it up. I just don't talk about that sort of thing IRL.

7. Two Spirit

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    When it comes to my teachers, I leave them in the dark. I have a lot of friends in the LGBT community, and they are great for advice along with the people in the LGBT office on campus. It's weird though since I'm straight but two-spirit.

8. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not inappropriate at all.

If my students came out to me, I really would not mind as it would not change anything at all. I would just have to be extremely careful at that point because, for example, if a student wasn't comfortable with being open to everyone then of course, it would be my duty to watch what I say as an example to demonstrate a problem that needed to be solved. On that same tangent, I would probably convey to the student that came out to me that since it's not my place speak of other student's that I would pretend that nothing was said to me while I'm in a classroom setting.

9. tex st

tex st Guest

i had very good conversations with 3 of my professors (at different time periods) about being gay, what to do, what not to do, and just life in general. two of them were gay men, one of them was more like a friend to me. it felt really liberating just being yourself with authority figures and asking them to share their own life experiences

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that the anecdote that occurred in the OP is more generation specific. It wouldn't have happened when I was in school.

However, that there were people in school who were readily identifiable as gay or lesbian goes without saying. I find that anyone who has been teaching for a reasonable amount of time seems to have decent gaydar. Teachers tended to be very DADT and just as respectful to the students who set off the gaydar, as long as they were decent students and didn't create drama.

11. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well we have a lesbian teacher with kids... pretty sure we have quite a few gay teachers in the school,and many have support stickers on their desks.

12. Mysz

I just enjoy being out to teachers for the joy of being out to anyone. It's nice that times are changing, I'm glad I wasn't in the midst of the early movement. It's also funny seeing the expression on a teacher's face when they figure it out.

13. Mitchell

I was in high school for six years, by choice.
    The first four were in a self-enclosed classroom. I did all my work on the computer in a study hall type setting.

Because I was with the same people so long, they are aware of my being gay.

When I adventured out to running start courses, I informed one of them, after some comments that were being said. I had said that it made me uncomfortable, and I would likely have grounds to claim sexual harassment. Needless to say, he made it stop immediately.

14. Gaymerdude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wrote a paper on my sexuality my junior year in high school. My teacher gave me an A. Most of my teachers knew, and they simply either didn't care or were supportive. I never felt like I was treated badly by a teacher because of my sexuality. My math teacher even told me "go for whatever makes you happy."

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think any of my teachers knew, and if they did...I don't really care.

16. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most of my teachers know I'm transgender already.
    I'm in a relatively liberal area, and if anyone says something transphobic, I'll just sock them in the face; no big deal. (It's probably not a good idea to sock them in the face, so never mind...)
    I'm not sure it's a good idea to tell them my sexuality, though. If I don't desperately need to tell someone something, it's not likely that I'll tell them.

17. musicrebel

Well I dress pretty masculine, so I think some of my teachers have an idea that I'm not straight. My math teacher, I heard, goes to a strict Catholic church, but I'm not sure if she's for or against LGBT stuff. She treats me nice, sometimes. My English teacher (I'm pretty sure he's gay) really enjoys me. My AP art teacher knows about me, well for the most part. She knows I have depression, so does my Spanish teacher. My AP psychology teacher doesn't know anything about me, except once he was talking about tomboys and he looked at me, the class was staring at me as well. It was quite funny.

It doesn't bug me that teachers know or don't know. I'd rather them know because I don't wanna hide from them. It'd prevent me from opening up and whatnot.

18. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

I don't know if my teachers know I'm gay, but I'm writing my research essay on homophobes for my English class and in music my final project is on Kylie Minogue. I'm sure they'll put two and two together, but hew knows. They are very cool teachers though my English teacher even said my topic was great and he think homophobes are bizarre.

19. GingerGuy

I have personally come out to two teachers, one in a support group and the other one face to face while exiting the school. The latter is probably gay, and the reason I told him of my gayness was to have fun with him in the schools bathroom for a while... he was engaged, and told me that. I was heartbroken.

Perhaps some of my mostly male teachers already suspect that I am gay, since basically all the students know about it, and they are smart to read from my sometimes stereotypical manneirism and studious behavior in class, refusing to join the hyper masculine crowd.

And I also have a massive fetish for teachers... really, I think they are so sexy. I cant count the number of boners they have given me this year, right when entering the class.

20. Hexagon

I referred to a hypothetical partner as 'he' in class today. I don't really care. Teachers would be unwise to be homophobic, because I could complain, and there are serious penalties and such things.