1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

characteristics of a gay man

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by freeskies, Nov 18, 2013.

1. freeskies

Hi All! I appreciate it if you could answer my questions below:

In a society where heterosexual culture is prominent and the most accepted, when a male is sexually attracted to a male, does that feeling/thought make him relate more to the female gender? Could this be a reason for some gays being more flamboyant (girlish traits). Or is flamboyance an inherent trait in every gay?

With this context in mind, when some gays have manly traits, are they suppressing their feminine side and waiting to display? or are they genuinely manly?

Thanks!

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Characteristics of a gay man ....

1. Human.
    2. Identifies as "male."
    3. Is in some way attracted to other people self-identifying as males.

That's about it...

Or to put it less dismissively: With no conclusive proof (since there isn't any), I really don't think there is necessarily inherently "overtly feminine" about gay men. My personal inclination is that there may be a slight biological influence toward the development of "feminine" behaviors. But that's just a guess.

Barring a major advancement in the understanding of developmental neurology in regards to gender and sexual orientation there's no conclusive proof to be found.

Also, to answer another question near the end there, I can see how it would be possible that gay men are often suppressing femininity. Then again, so could all straight men. Or, maybe it's all entirely a social construct - there's too much varying data out there for me to say anything and claim to know for sure what I'm saying is the truth of the matter.

3. biggayguy

My experience has been that I was very straight acting as a bisexual. When I finally accepted being gay my feminine side started coming out. I got my nails done, started wearing a bracelet, and started gesturing more. My voice also went up a little. It just kind of happened. It wasn't forced at all. This is all purely anecdotal of course.

#3 biggayguy, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  4. AAASAS

Evidence has shown that insufficient testosterone to the part of the brain that dictates sexual orientation is what causes homosexual males to develop the way they do. This doesn't mean the body isn't a man or the brain, just that part. But a little bit of me believes that varying from person to person, other parts of the brain are feminized in the womb among homosexual men. This gives you a big spectrum of personalities, from Transexual to Overtly-masculine. I also think that males and females of all sexual orientations have different parts of the brain that may resemble the opposite sex more. Meaning females can have male characteristics personality wise, and males vice versa.

This is what gives you metrosexuals, butch but straight females....etc.

I think it is just more likely for a gay male to have other parts of his brain feminized than a straight male, since insufficient testosterone was brought to the brain to develop like a heterosexual males, why couldn't this be true for other parts of the brain.

And I base that on absolutely nothing but one study I half-ass read, and no scientific background, or any experience with or intrinsic understanding of human biology.

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gay men are just attracted to other men. Everything else is other characteristics. Some gay men may feel more free to express other personality traits since they aren't bound to the same set of straight rules. I think some straight guys would feel more free if they weren't afraid that others might think they are gay if they said and did what they might want to do. There seems to be a great deal of confusion over sexuality and other characteristics which have nothing to do with sexuality so this keeps straight people in their conforming boxes. I think this is and will continue to change as we all realize that gay does not equal feminine or weak or whatever stereotype we automatically assume.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A guy who likes bodily friction with guys. End of story. There are NFL players who are gay. There are hair stylists who are straight. Well, sometimes.

Still, so many people don't know how much they don't know on this topic.

7. Incognito10

Can you provide the source for this evidence, please?

Statements that begin with:

"Evidence shows..."
    "According to a scientific study..."
    "Polls show..."
    "Data reveals..."

Or similar terminology need the reference/link. :slight_smile:

8. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think that one's sexuality dictates who they are or how they act. In my own experience I do relate to the opposite sex more starting from a very young age where I'm typically able to socialize more easily with girls and connect more easily.

In terms of masculine vs. feminine traits I think those are developed by environmental factors but not always 100% of the time. Sexuality doesn't really have much effect on these traits other than who you interact with. Again with a personal example, I can attribute some of my more feminine traits to having two sisters who I talked to and hangout with. But I also developed my own masculine and feminine traits out of pure interest in certain things. Overall I would say I have a good mix of both types of traits.

Lastly I don't think gay men with manly traits are suppressing their feminine side. Perhaps they have fewer feminine traits to masculine ones in comparison to men with more feminine to masculine. It's not fair to assume gay guys are inherently effeminate and vice versa with lesbians being more masculine than feminine. Everyone is different in who they are and how they act.

In terms of what I prefer it comes down to whether I like them or not and same for them.