1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook Stalking

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by danobi, Nov 18, 2013.

1. danobi

Well, seeing as this website knows so much about me already, I might as well.

Am I the only person who facebook stalks their crushes (This is the 3rd one
    (Oh God I'm sad))

Is this creepy? Should I stop? Can anyone give me advice on how to approach crushes? (Of any gender without being out?

2. person57

Trust me, you are definitely not the only one. Is it creepy? Well that depends on how often you do it. Should you stop? You don't have to, but just don't do it too much. Sorry, but I don't know any advice on how to approach crushes.

3. AmityRanch

It doesn't hurt anyone.
    You're fine. :slight_smile:

4. Jonathan

It's not like anybody (like them) is ever going to know that you did...so I see no problem with it as long as it's not like super obsessive :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Hopeful

I Facebook stalk my crushes too, don't worry about it. They don't know about it and I'm not hurting anyone!

6. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Jeeze, stalking has such an ominous connotation to it. I would prefer calling it spying, because that's what it is. I'm sure a lot of people do it.

7. Saint Otaku

Wasn't Facebook made with the purpose to allow easy, simple, and fast stalking?

8. CupcakeKisses

Haha, that's exactly what I was going to say! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. I must be the only person in the world to think it is creepy to stalk people

I would actually totally get rid of Facebook actually if it were not absolutely needed due to the fact that some people in the wold are addicted to it and I must have it in order to have some meetings in the new city I just moved into.

it is how I find out about - weekend coffee & the new dances and whatever current meetings are if not for that I would seriously delete my account

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What is Facebook stalking? How many times does looking at a profile constitute stalking? I've looked at the profiles of friends anywhere from 1 to 5 times ... over time, though, unless they are Facebook addicts who keep on posting stuff. I've also looked at friends of friends. I've also looked at strangers. I've also looked at friends of strangers. It's when you make it a ritual of looking at and/or start pining for the person that it becomes stalking. That "stalking" has enabled me to sort of complete schemas for people I either knew a while back, or just don't know that well, as in sort of a jigsaw puzzle. So, I was analyzing more so than stalking.

11. Skov

Just don't like a picture accidentally while stalking. It's very awkward lol.

12. Hrantou

Facebook makes it very easy to stalk someone. Unless they have their profile on super private or something. Everyone does it, even me. Trust me. So don't worry about it.

13. elel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's a big deal as long it's not a larger pattern of obsessive behavior.

14. biggayguy

What if someone obsessively "likes" every post you make on Facebook? Isn't that a bit creepy?

15. exactly

see I have over 220 people blocked on Facebook

including several blood relatives who have actually publicly humiliated me and relatives who have stalked me on face book not just on my page but then on groups i belonged to

then this person sent other people wot stalk me, I also have ex-room mates who have stolen from me blocked and their relatives and friends blocked due to the fact that they stole from me and then stalked me and also sent friends after me

I also have men who have actually threatened my life blocked

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I sometimes use it to get indicators of whether someone might be gay or straight, which sometimes I can tell by their photos (i.e. possible romantic partners, or the lack thereof) or liked pages (people who posted the red equals sign as their profile photo in March). I don't actually make any contact with them unless I know them in person and they have made my "friend" criteria of talking to me multiple times and being nice to me.

17. sparkly glasses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've looked at people's profiles to see who they are. Like if a friend says, "oh let's go for a drink with x on Friday night" I might have a quick look for x to see what they're like in advance. Don't think there's anything wrong with it unless you make a habit of going back to the same person or you're planning on using that information against them in some way. Certainly doesn't sound like that's what you're doing

18. Hexagon

There is a difference between checking someone's profile to see what kind of person they are, if you have similar interests etc, and spending hours memorising their every move. The latter is creepy, the former isn't.

19. You talk here about checking peoples profiles so I went and made sure just to know what I was talking about

people can't check mine unless they are friends - and even a lot of my stuff I have set if the people I have "friended" and set them as just "acquaintances" then they can't took at my stuff like the address or phone number or my tumbl1r or email or any other personal info, my Twitter is open info though I Tweet quite a lot (!) much more than I Facebook

20. MrBrightside

I facebook stalk all the time, dont even care! Everyone does it, i wont like stuff or friend them randomly (my flatmate does!) but i dont see anything wrong with looking through someones photos if u like them. I admitted to a guy i had a thing with tht id done it and he took it as a compliment!

So dont worry about it, you check people out in the street, its no different in my eyes, they are sharing photos, if they didnt want them seen theyd change their settings.