1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you stay positive and upbeat?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ILuvMusic90, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ILuvMusic90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lately I've been feeling kind of down and I'm not sure why. What are some ways I can stay positive about things?

2. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two very classic suggestions that are very helpful for fighting general depression are involvement and exercise. Find some kind of volunteer work to do on occasion, where you're helping people who need it, and very often you will find it lifts your mood, because it gives you an added sense of purpose. The exercise--besides just being good for you--gives you a sense of accomplishment, and depending on what it is, may also give you some time away from the things in your daily life that may be weighing you down.

I started walking awhile back after being nagged by my doctor to lose weight for years. It helped with that, but I was also very surprised to discover that 30-60 minutes away from everything left me feeling very refreshed and de-stressed.

Obviously, if you have persistent real depression, you should seek help, because that can spiral out of control pretty quickly if you aren't careful. And if it's just a very temporary thing, just doing something out of your daily routine can lift your spirits pretty nicely.

3. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I starve myself. Since I can't do that everyday without compromise my health, I have been feeling down recently, but a certain someone has neutralized the depression and gotten me addicted to this site.

For most, starvation fuels the agony and despair, but it makes me feel good. It's weird, because on my cis days I want to look robust like my hero Joseph Stalin but even on those days I can't bring myself to consume 1000 calories..

Remember this pup: Life ain't roses and lemonade; everyone goes through moments of despondence. The people of this forum would be very willing to help and listen to your woos. If you choose not to take their offer, that's on you.

Anyways, I wish you luck, pup. Truthfully I wish the best for you.

4. CupcakeKisses

Always keep positive. I find that helps with me. I just think of the best in all situations. Hope you're feeling better soon hun! :kiss:

5. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Listen to some happy, upbeat, lively music and be in touch with your inner child. That helps me, anyway.

Look, a butterfly! :icon_mrgr *Follows it*

6. timo

By doing things I love every now and then. Listening to music, shameless bedroom dancing, driving my car, going out for a beer, hanging out with friends. I wouldn't be a shadow of the person I am if I hadn't stuff like that to get my mind off things.

7. Projectfabulous

I listen to really upbeat music and I bake cupcakes :3 I also like to think that if I am down, I'll probably bring other people down with me and they don't need to be unhappy, so why should I? It might not make sense, but it helps me:slight_smile:

8. BadCanadaJoke

I am kinda depressed myself these days, but that's my stupid brain I like upbeat music!
    I dance on the street!
    But the real secret is a "fuck you" attitude towards everything. (smiley face)
    The less sh*t you give, the happier you are :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: lol
    At least that goes for me..!
    Also, what timo said... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It's very easy actually, happiness is a state of being, it comes from within..! You can be happy even in the worst possible scenario :slight_smile:

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some surprising newer research (pretty well documented in multiple studies) is the importance of a gratitude practice. It sounds silly and contrite but the simple act of, every day, taking 5 mins before you go to bed and write down 3 things you are grateful for has a dramatic impact on depression in a short time (under 30 days). Another gratitude practice that helps is making a commitment to write or email someone (different person every day) expressing gratitude for what they have meant to you. I think you'll find that those practices will help.

10. musicrebel

Do things that make you happy :slight_smile: Even better, try finding an outlet to let out those negative thoughts that make you feel down. Usually finding an outlet helps with creating a positive atmosphere afterwards and replenishes you.

11. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

Fantasizing, dreaming and lots of Kylie songs.

12. justjade

With magic, of course. :lol:

No, seriously, it's just a frame of mind that you have to get yourself into. Reflect on the positive things. Do something that makes you happy, like a hobby or something. Identify the stressors in your life, and find ways to eliminate or at least minimize them. That's what I do.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like to read comics and watch cartoons when I'm down.

If fact, I'm gonna go and read a graphic novel about Cerebus the Aardvark right now!

14. AAASAS

Music is one of the best ways, just listen to happy music.

Sunlight is a good way too.

Proper sleep, and a proper diet.

A lot of how you feel has to do with what you put in yourself.

Try to gain skills you'd enjoy, building self-esteem is good too.

15. sparkly glasses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Music and walking - probably at the same time! I don't think it's always possible to think yourself into a happy mood, it doesn't seem to work for me any way, but creating the right conditions can help. The other thing that does it for me if there's something specific is having a bit of a cry in a long, hot shower. Sounds weird but it works!

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Three things I do:

- try to connect with people I like
    - find things to be obnoxious about and laugh, either alone or with others
    - recall places that made you happy and think of future trips that might make you happy

If your depression cannot be mitigated by anything, for some reason, it's time to seek professional help in a timely manner.

17. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Not reading stuff that incenses me.