1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am 21!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hopeful, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Hopeful

Hey, so I turned 21 recently, so here in the USA I can now legally drink. On my birthday my family went out to dinner and I got a pina colada and then yesterday I decided to buy a pack of Mike's hard punch - my mom has given me sips before and I like it. Plus, I wanted to buy alcohol since I could. Haha.

Anyway, I'm not a big risk taker and I've never gotten drunk or had alcohol beside a sip here and there from a parent or relative. Any thoughts? Suggestions? I'm not going to be out partying, but a couple of people from work invited me out with them and they know I just turned 21. What are some things I should try first?

I'm not looking to get drunk, but if people have suggestions or could kind of explain what different things are I'd love it! :slight_smile: That way I know "Oh, I don't want that because it's strong" or whatever. The pina colada was really sweet, so though I like sweet things, that was almost too sweet I think.

2. Data

Data Guest

Try a hard cider. I really like hard cider. Mike's is good for sure. You might like wine coolers too. Try a screwdriver or tequila sunrise. Those are sweet. I also like vodka cranberry. Margaritas are classic.

3. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    When I turned 21, I did drink, but it wasn't anything new to me. I'd been getting smashed long before that.

Mike's Hard Lemonade is better than the Hard punch. Just saying. For the more sophisticated drinker (ie, me) Samuel Adams would be a more suitable beer for the occasion.

4. Hopeful

Hey thanks for the suggestions! I've tried the Mike's lemonades and they are good. The mango punch is delicious though!

As far as beer goes, I don't know if I've ever tried it because it smells bad. Should I just get over myself and try it or is it something I probably won't like since I'm already turned off by the smell?

5. Data

Data Guest

I hate beer. It tastes like piss and I won't drink it.

6. Living in Denmark we're allowed to by alcohol at 16. But I'd recommend starting with items that have about the same amount of alcohol as beer and buying them already mixed, don't make your own, you might end up with no clue how much you're actually having.

7. Data

Data Guest

1 beer = 1 glass of wine = 1 shot of vodka

If you mix your own drink, use a shot glass to measure it. Glass of OJ with 1 shot glass of vodka is a screwdriver. You can use 1/2 a shot or 3 depending on how smashed you want to get.

FYI I prefer to just do a shot or two and drink the juice seperately. I don't like the bite of alcohol as I sip, so I dump the shot and sip the juice. :icon_bigg

8. prism

Beer before liquor, never been sicker;
    Liquor before beer, you're in the clear.

PACE YOURSELF! If it's your first time drinking, don't do shots. If you're drinking hard liquor, mix it with juice/soda and sip it.

9. Data

Data Guest

Do a cement mixer. Bailey's Irish cream and lemon juice. You put each in a shot glass and mix it when you're ready. Then you have to drink it fast or it'll curdle into clumps in your mouth. :grin:

Then there's the fuzzy nipple. :grin: I like making those.

10. Tzoa

You might like Italian surfers. Below is the recipe. On my 21st birthday my friend took me drinking and I had a LOT to drink. Hated nearly everything. It wasn't until recently that I had one of these and I love them.

2 parts pineapple juice
    1 part amaretto almond liqueur
    1 part coconut rum

11. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Beer tastes better the older you get. I recall stealing beer from my uncle at 15 and drinking the can in my room. Tasted like shit, yet a few years later I love the taste.

I hate shots too. I'm a lightweight, and after downing a few it gets harder to pour them. It's better to drink straight from the bottle imo.

I like fruity drinks like the others are recommending but they're dangerous. The bitterness in some beers is a good thing. the rich flavor of the fruity drinks makes it easy too drink too many of them. Then you're left with an awful hangover.

12. Hexagon

When I turned 18, my brother took me out to get me drunk. I started with pear cider. Cider remains one of my favorite alcoholic drinks. If I remember correctly, I had fruity vodka, alcopops and some shots.

13. leer

never been a cider drinker I had a couple off bottles of strongbow when I was 15 'started young I know ' anyhow after the strongbow I was sick everywhere everyone found that quite funny . am a beer drinker .

14. justjade

I love all kinds of booze. I really like Woodchuck hard cider. It's 5% alcohol, so it's not very strong. I also like wine, like Barefoot sweet red or moscato. Sweet wines are the best ones to start out with, especially for the casual drinker or anyone who doesn't plan on becoming a wine drinker as a hobby. Fu Ki plum wine is really good, but the only place I've been able to find it is at liquor stores. Oh, and Twisted Tea is really good, too.

And where are my manners? Happy birthday! :grin:

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was 21...once upon a time...

(live it up and enjoy yourself - responsibly!)

16. Hopeful

I tried a good one! It was sex on the beach. I love that name, haha. I thought it was yummy. One of my friends got a margarita and I didn't like the taste of that. The other had a vodka tonic and cranberry juice (I think?) and I liked that one. I'm looking forward to trying more. :slight_smile:

17. hazza

Happy belated birthday mate!

When I'm working (I'm a bartender at a nightclub), I find that these drinks are some of the most commonly ordered drinks that I would consider good 'introduction' drinks to people who have really drank before.

Mixed drinks:
    Vodka, fresh lime and soda
    Vodka, lemon, lime and bitters
    Gin and tonic (the taste isn't for everyone, but it is damn refreshing on a hot night)

Shooters:
    Chupa Chop - 1/2 Butterscotch, 1/2 Strawberry liqueur with some fresh lime squeezed on top
    Jam Donut - 1/2 Baileys, 1/2 Chambord with a sugar rim around the shot glass
    Wet Pussy - 1/3 Peach Schnapps, 1/3 Vodka, 1/3 Cranberry with fresh lime squeezed on top (basically a shooter version of a Sex on the Beach)

Cocktails:
    Fruit Tingle - 1 part blue curaçao, 1 part vodka, lemonade, then pour in some grenadine/red cordial (when made correctly the blue meets the red in the middle so you have the two distinct colours but then a blur of purple in the middle)
    Midori Splice - 1 part Midori, 1 part Malibu, pineapple juice and some cream/coconut cream (this is a really refreshing sweet and fruity drink, not too alcoholic and is really delicious)

...then there are also the commonly ordered drinks that are much stronger and not really for the uninitiated...

Shooters:
    Ray Charles - 1/3 Chartreuse, 1/3 Tequila, 1/3 White Sambucca
    Tequila shots with salt and lemon - Lick (the salt on your hand), Sip (shot the tequila), Suck (eat the lemon wedge)
    B52 - 1/3 Kahlua, 1/3 Baileys, 1/3 Cointreau/Grand Marnier

18. bitchyetough

I've heard you should drink, or should be able to drink 1 glass of water for every glass of alcohol.
    Sounds crap.
    Just don't go drinking too much to fast especially if you're not used to it.
    I've drunk too much rhum and I basically get smashed straight away on anything with rhum in it now, so i tend to avoid it. But Mojitos are so good.
    I could drink an elephants weight in beer and not get drunk whatsoever (not that i'ld recommend it).
    And vodka's my baby. I adopt it every night out.

19. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I drink pretty rarely but when I do go for a night out I usually drink vodka and coke,and apple sourz shots haha. Since Since V and coke only costs £1 here on a thursday I am usually hammered. lmao

Before I leave the house on my night out I usually just drink bud or tennants.

Congrats on turning 21 by the way. :slight_smile: