1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a complaint

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Hexagon

I've decided that I want to make some kind of complaint against the clinic that first 'treated' me for gender issues, several years ago. Though I will obviously bring up the treatment I received, I really want to change their practice, rather than receive compensation or something. I'm aware its a long shot, but I'm going to try anyway.

Firstly, let me explain the position this clinic is in. It is part of the NHS (free health service we have in the uk). It is the only clinic which can treat gender issues in under 18s. There is a private clinic that will see over 16s, but for obvious reasons, not everyone can access this, and it doesn't help under 16s. So there is no alternatives for young transpeople.

Now let me describe my treatment. I was 16, and in need of hormones for transition. I was emotionally vulnerable, and depressed. First, I was subjected to many therapy before I was even given a referral to this service. During this service, I made myself very clear. I was a man, and wanted to transition. So, when I finally got a referral, they knew enough about me that this shouldn't have happened. They addressed me by the wrong name, and asked if I was having 'uncertainties' about my gender.

So, not a good start. Then, they explained the kind of treatment they could give me. They could offer me hormone blockers for a year (this is particularly redundant in my case, because I didn't have significant hormone levels before I went on T. They were aware of this, but didn't think it was worthy of changing their policy). Then, after a year, and extremely extensive therapy and mental health investigations, they would consider prescribing me hormones. By that time, I would be nearly 18. I challenged them, and from what I could see, the sole purpose of this service is to delay treatment until we turn 18.

Though they see children of any age, they only offer hormone blockers at the age of sixteen, and insist they be used for a year before hormones can be prescribed. There is no good reason for this. Furthermore, I suspect you can all see the problem with blocking puberty at 16 - its already bloody happened. Apart from that, all they do is offer therapy.

It may be that people, particularly those who haven't experienced gender dysphoria, don't find much wrong with what I've said. The problem with all of this is that it operated under the principle that caution does no harm. On the day on which we remember the suicides of transgender people, I think we can all agree this isn't true. I've seen something like a 50% rate of trans people attempting suicide. From a personal point of view, I spent all of my early teenage years, and much of my childhood feeling depressed and suicidal, all of this related to my gender. Basically, just asking someone to wait is not harmless. Its incredibly harmful.

Furthermore, I take issue with the volume of therapy they dump on people. I understand the purpose of one or two therapy sessions to make sure the person receiving hormone therapy is, well, sane, and stable enough to handle it. But going through months of therapy, solely to justify one's right to enjoy life, is unjust. Its worth noting that all of this is happening at a critical period in the transperson's life, namely exams. My own academic performance took a hit because of all this shit.

Lastly, I take issue with the deception that they were there to help me. In fact, they were there to cover their asses while pretending to help me, and to delay everything until I turned 18.

I'm not angry about all of this just because it causes harm, although it certainly does. I'm angry about this because of the attitude that transgender people need the approval of cisgender people in order to have the right to a gender, the right to a body that doesn't cause us to want to kill ourselves, and the right to a happy life.

So that is, in an oversized nutshell, my issues with this clinic. So how do I go about complaining about it? I'm not asking for the relevant authorities or anything, but for some more general advice. Such as how far I should take it. If there is anything I should include. How much detail to include. Should I identify myself in the complaint? Should I attempt to contact others who've dealt with them? (I've met some, but I don't have contact details for them). And has anyone ever tried to do something like this before?

2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Use the clinic's internal complaints procedure and take it as far as you can with them. If you're still not happy with the outcome then go to the health ombudsman.