1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jfk

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Nov 22, 2013.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So 50 years ago today, the US lost one of the best progressive minds in our history. We got any people old enough on here that remember where they were that fateful day Kennedy was assassinated?

2. tulman

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was working at an auto parts store on the north side of Chicago. The owner, who had been out on sales calls came in and said, "Somebody just shot the president". We turned on the radio just in time to hear those famous words, "Ladies and gentlemen, the president of the United States is dead". All TV shows went off the air and the stations just played music for several days. I don't remember if the funeral was televised live or the images I remember were from news reels but the ones I remember most are the picture of his son at about age 4 saluting the caisson and the riderless horse with inverted boots in the stirrups. I also remember the news film of Jack Ruby shooting Lee Harvey Oswald and the pictures of Jackie with blood on her dress, a wounded Gov. Connally and the Secret Service agents hanging on to the Lincoln convertible as it sped away towards the hospital.
    This could be a very interesting thread. I hope others who are old enough to remember that fateful day in Dallas share their memories too.

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2013 at 05:20 PM ----------

I try hard to avoid politics on non politically oriented websites and especially want to avoid politicizing the 50th anniversary of Kennedy's assassination but some facts about the man should be noted. He was progressive---for 1963. But don't confuse him with today's "progressives". Kennedy reduced the top marginal tax rates, cutting taxes for top earners. He was pro life. He was a naval officer during WW2, believed in a strong military and stood up to the Russians during the Cuban missile crisis. He was all for the civil rights movement but chose to push the issue subtly. Truman and Kennedy were Democrats but far different from today's Democrats. Many believe they would not be welcome in today's Democratic Party. Too bad he was in office for such a short period of time.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was not alive for decades yet, but I am sad that we didn't have him longer. Even though I've been trending right-ish recently, he was definitely a Democrat I could get behind.

"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."

Ambition, steadfastness, charisma, how much virtue can one person have? What makes it worse that he died young is the storm of conspiracy theories surrounding his shooting. I hope for his and all of our sakes that some peace is finally found.

4. tulman

"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."
    Thanks for bringing it up! I failed to note his most famous quote in my post above.
    We certainly don't hear things like that today, do we? Now it's all about buying re-election via new entitlements.

5. DMark69

It's about buying vote through entitlements, and placing blame on the other guy. Never about solutions.

6. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    JFK was shit.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Care to elaborate, or is this intentional thread-crapping?

8. tulman

Thanks for asking, swordsman. I was about to do the same. I'm also interested in learning what I missed about JFK.

9. biggayguy

In November of 1963 I was six months olds. I don't remember exactly where I was but a safe bet would be in my mother's arms. I do remember a JFK goal that was reached. I watched men walk on the moon in 1969.

#9 biggayguy, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fixed that for you.

11. tulman

Still waiting for answers on why Kennedy was either shit or the shit. I guess there must be a difference.