1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic or funny?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GuitarGirl1350, Mar 9, 2007.

1. GuitarGirl1350

I'm not going to express my opinion, but it's an opinion poll for y'all.
    There's a new artist named Taylor Swift on the country circuit. She's actually really good. Spunky, emotional, and talented. I've fallen in love with her disk. However, in one of her songs the line is:

So go and tell your friends
    Im obsessive and crazy,
    That's fine,
    I'll tell mine you're gay.

So my question to you all is,
    homophobic or funny?
    The premise of the song (which is called "Picture to Burn") is a relationship gone bad and a spiteful bitch of an ex girlfriend who hopes to render him inconsequential through a series of "I don't care!" type lines.

2. tired_of_lying411

Hmm... I think it's okay...
    I think I'm glad that she's comfortable enough with the word to use it in a song.
    I guess I see that as her saying the break up had absolutely nothing to do with her and was all about him. And I think it's kind of a joke, as I can't see anyone ever doing that in real life.... Or maybe I just haven't met the right people, lol

So I'd say my verdict is funny.

3. Micah

Yeah I agree with Tired on this one. It's more to do with what you tell your friends after you break up.

Like her boyfriend is telling his mates they broke up because she's obsessive and crazy.

So she tells her friends that he's gay, this way she looks better than him. Why? because it means that the break up wasn't over the fact that she couldnt "live up to his standards of a girlfriend" but rather because "she wasn't a guy."

If she couldnt "live up to his standards" - then that obviously reflects poorly on her and makes her look like a bad girlfriend.

But if he's gay, she can't help that and nothing she could do in the relationship would change that fact.

So I really don't think its homophobic or meant with negative connotations - though you could always say that shes drawing a direct comparison between obsessive and crazy and being gay,

But I dont think that's how its meant in this song.

Sooo I'd have to say funny. (and yes I gave this way too much thought :wink:)

4. GuitarGirl1350

LOL yeah. The first time I listened to it I was kind of...did I hear her right? But I personally don't find it offensive. I just wanted to throw it out there to see what y'all thought. =]

5. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

The intent behind it isn't even neutral, it's defintely positive. Due to the connatation of ex-girlfriend trying to make herself feel better, telling herself her b/f's gay or friends as a joke.....it's a blurred line because if i say it's ok others will use it in their defense....yet i say it anyway....

THIS GETS A DEFINTE OKAY FROM ME :slight_smile:

EDIT: i think the key to how it was funny and not discriminatory was how she phrased it, any other way probably would have come across different.

6. Freak4Life

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just downloaded this song and listened to it, and it made me laugh, so I would deffo say it was funny

7. GuitarGirl1350

I could see myself as being the angry exgirlfriend in the song. Of course, I'd have to tell them all she was straight. =P

8. BIfreak89

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i think its okay, ur probally curious

9. GuitarGirl1350

Curious about....?

10. Sleepless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Meh, as long as she doesn't actively come out and say something hateful, it's okay.