1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going down under :D

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Since my mom misses her sisters because all of them moved to Sydney, Australia and she's getting sick of the cooler and damper weather (almost literally LOL), we're planning to go down under this week. Any tour sites in Sydney? Also, anything I should experience before leaving (I know, I know, vegemite)? Thanks :slight_smile:

2. srslywtf

California and sydney arent that different in climate are they? I guess some parts might be.

Everything cool in sydney is right in the city, im sure you will get to see alot almost the first day! Hope you like beaches/water, its summer down here and sydney life is oriented around the water!

Im going there in a couple weeks!

3. Hexagon

I've always thought thats a ridiculous term.

Sorry, I don't really have any constructive comments here.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, Southern California and Sydney are at about the same latitude, but on different hemispheres, so their climates are very similar, but reversed.

You will want to check out the Opera House, the Harbor (Coat Hanger) Bridge, where you can actually climb up on it, the beaches, such as Bondi and others, and more. I'd buy a cheapo travel guidebook beforehand. The harbor and the city center area next to it are nice and photographed to no end.

The flight is LONG, but everyone thinks it's worth it in the end.

5. It rains in Sydney pretty much all year round, more during the summer, while rain is just saved for winter in California. Where I live, we get one thunderstorm in the summer along with 3-4 days of drizzling as well, and that's it until winter.

And yeah, I've heard that the beaches are very popular. I actually want to go since the water looks clear at least LOL

6. hazza

The bridge climb is fantastic - I did it a few years ago and was wowed by the different view you get of the city from the top of the bridge.

I would also recommend getting the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly (its on the North Shore) and then having a walk along Manly beach - not as crowded as Bondi Beach but just as good, if not better in my opinion.

Also from Circular Quay you can get the ferry across to Milsons Point (its the closest ferry wharf to the north side of the bridge), which is the closest wharf to Luna Park - an old funfair/carnival that has a few rides/sideshow alleys etc. When I was younger and I went to Sydney, I would always make sure to go there at least once.

Depending on how long you are in Sydney for, I would recommend going out to the Blue Mountains (about 90 minutes on the train or a 70 minute drive I think). It's lovely up there walking through the town of Katoomba and seeing all the sights up there such as the Three Sisters (a famous rock formation).

There's just a couple of idea for you. Enjoy your time in Sydney!

7. Wardrobe93

vegmite is disgusting! in England we have Marmite, much better!!!

8. BiPenguin

Depends on what you like to do really. Look at the tourist websites for example. Loads of beaches if you like beaches. It can get hot in summer but freezes in winter.

9. PurpleLove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Be sure to check out Luna Park. It's an awesome theme park.

Also, if you're staying for the new year, catch a ferry out to one of the islands in the harbour on New Year's Eve and watch the fireworks. It's pretty spectacular.

Vegemite and marmite are pretty much the same lol. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. bitchyetough

They taste pretty much the same and are both available in either country (+arent restricted to them)
    especially if someone isnt used to them they wont be able to recognize them lol

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't know that. I thought their summer was fairly dry. They have eucalyptus trees, which are usually dry weather trees. As for the beaches, check ahead to see which ones are "netted." I don't like the fact that they have more of THOSE critters down there than does Southern California. I wouldn't go out too far. Still, the water looks fantastic, there are plenty of swimmers and surfers at all those beaches. Yes, I've heard Manly Beach is a good one, too.

12. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not gonna lie, saw the title of this thread and thought it was gonna be about something completely different

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sydney's actually very boring, really. A few beaches, a nice view and a giant bridge, but being a tourist there (or anywhere) is terrible. It's alright if you have a reason to be there. If you really want beer-waste that tastes like concentrated vinegar in barley, then go ahead. I don't know why Australians love Vegemite. :lol:

14. srslywtf

"Sydney is boring" coming from someone who lives in canberra....

Ive been visiting sydney 4-5 times a year my whole life nd am still finding places I never knew about!

I lived in canberra for 6 months and know the entire city.

#14 srslywtf, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  15. Mrtambourineman

I love love love sydney..mate make an effort to make it to the northernmost sydney beaches. Newport, palm, whale etc. Not as touristy but oh so beautiful :slight_smile: try it my friend

16. LOL my cousins say it tastes awesome. Btw, I'm not exactly going to be a tourist, I'm going to be there mainly to visit relatives, while seeing a few sights.

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I thought it could have been about something else. It's amazing how "down under" and "down low" don't necessarily mean Oceania and a description of position, respectively.

18. Zac

Zac

So did I