1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online dating

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BookDragon, Nov 24, 2013.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So it's occurred to me that even though I might not be ready for a relationship, my desire to snuggle up to someone and watch TV and eat snacks has increased recently. Friends ain't gonna cut it this time!

So I'll be honest, unless I grow some serious spine, even if I made an account I would probably never meet anyone if they asked (which I doubt they would, but that's a different problem all-together). But I've come across some problems.

The first, and this really strikes me as odd. The two sites I would consider to be most well known, will only let you put seeking man or woman. Which sucks because I'm not about to cut my potential snuggle buddies in half just by nature of their bits!

The second, probably more important for me, is that obvious I have to put myself down as 'female'. Which is fine, if technically fraudulent. BUT, I obviously wouldn't want to get a response from someone who won't be OK with someone trans, but I also don't want to make it really obvious in case I end up with some perv with a trans fetish who'll leave me strung up under a bridge somewhere missing a kidney. I may be exaggerating here, but my point is I don't want to attract someone to me whose only interest is the fact that I'm trans!

How do people even go about this!?

2. Hexagon

I faced a similar problem on my profile. Though I don't see how its fraudulent to say you're a woman. What I put in the end was: I guess its best that I'm upfront about this right away. I'm transgender. If anyone wants to ask about that, then go ahead, but if you're a chaser, or want to yell abuse at me for being trans, then piss off.

My site allows bisexual as an option, and appears to have a large enough UK userbase.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That could work...now the real question is do I dare make a profile...

4. Hexagon

I dare you. Nothing to lose. But don't make it on a site that won't let you list as bisexual.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah screw it, it's not like I'm ever going to respond to them anyway. Which sounds like a justification for me NOT doing it, which means I probably ought to. Plus you dared me.

So just so everyone knows, if I end up murdered it's Hexagons fault! :grin:

6. LD579

I think you probably will run into people who'll fetishize you, and you probably will run into people who seem decent but actually just want to get laid. While this isn't necessarily a comfort, just know that many, including myself, have been fetishized for other reasons (For me, it's been my racial background), and that while it's utterly maddening and rage-inducing... it really can be best to leave a short, terse message in response, or to even not respond at all. Some people don't get the message, though. One guy has hit on me 3x now :astonished:

At any rate, online dating is a nice thing to have around if you keep your expectations low (Sadly), and be smart about who you message and who you meet up with (I strongly suggest that you meet in a public place for the first few times). Just try to be moderately open, interesting, and decently positive in your profile, and that should suffice! =] Good luck and such :wink:

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well my expectations are that I will never get a message as long as the account is active, so y'know, at least if that happens I'll have forgotten I made the thing xD

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I once made a half assed profile on a reasonably high profile dating site just to see how it worked. By half assed I mean no profile picture and barely anything in the profile, only things people knew about me was my name (which was fake), that I was gay, seeking a relationship and my location which was done automatically.

I got messaged three times inside of twenty minutes.

Trust me you will get interested suitors.:icon_wink

9. bearpaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm in the same boat, I want to make a profile, but I am really not out as being trans, like at all, so I don't know how to do that.

10. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I did it...I made a profile...