1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird to want to be a virgin...forever?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MoyashiAlice, Nov 24, 2013.

1. MoyashiAlice

Hi~

I was wondering if it was weird to want to be a virgin forever, never be in a relationship or to never have kids ever in my lifetime.

To elaborate, I have a host of mental/physical/ emotional disorders, hate people touching me and am not good with telling people about my life unless they are online. My so called "friends" don't even know that I lost my job three months ago and have been rehired. In short, I feel that I am the kind of person that could definitely not be in a relationship, nor do I want to. :dry:

However, when I mention that I want to stay single to anyone, they always blow it WAY out of proportion. I have been told stuff like "Have you ever been raped?" :eek:, "You''ll be miserable without a man," :dry: or "Your going to break some guy's heart someday." :help:

So, two questions:
    1) Is anyone else like me on not wanting to ever be intimate????
    2) How do I explain to people that it is my choice to be single and that I'll be fine?

2. Glalie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think that's weird, at all! You have very good reasons not to want these things (and it would still be ok, even if you didn't). Physicality in relationships is something that makes most people feel good, which is why they crave it so much, but if it makes you feel awful, there's no reason for you to want it!

I can relate to it, a bit. Even though I like physical contact and emotional relationships with guys, I'm a bit iffy when it comes to sex. To me, it doesn't feel like the best thing in the world, nor does it feel like it creates the emotional connections that people say it does, and just seems to be way too much work without enough payoff, so I could take it or leave it.

There's not an easy way to explain it to other people. My friends think I'm crazy when I say things about being happy not having someone to be with. You just have to explain to them that you don't need another person to fulfill your life, and you really will be happier without a relationship.

3. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    Not weird at all! I am almost the same way except I just want to stay a virgin till marriage, not because of religion but just because I believe that's how it should be

4. starfish

Gather round kids, grand pa is goin' tell a story.

Several years back I turned down a promotion to take on a leadership role. The whole reason I turned it down was that I did not trust management I worked for. They did not react well to this.

I was interviewing to other positions in the company. There was a manager that was interesting in hiring me as he was one of our customers and familiar with my work. As per company policy he spoke with my first 2 levels of management.

He called me to tell me about the about the conversation. They told him that I was broken and that he would be a fool to hire me. The reason I was broken was that I did not want the leadership position.

More corporate drama ensued, but I ended up leaving that job. (This is the happy ending, as I like this job and make more money)

Why do I mention this. When you don't want something that spend their life trying to get, they will think there is something wrong with you. Be it, relationships, kid, money, power, whatever.

See these people are assholes, and I generally find it best to avoid assholes.

When I was your age I didn't care much for being in a relationship or sex. Now sometimes I would like to be in a relationship, but mostly I don't (Really I just want someone to watch the game with). My view on sex has changed, I would like to have more sex, and with a regular partner. It may change for you, or it may not. As long as you are happy with your life, that is all that matters. When there comes a time that you are happy with your life, you can change it.

#4 starfish, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  5. Emulator

I feel that way almost all the time. I'm fine with casual relationships, but not too close and definitely not intimate. But that's fine. It's just a preference that is different from the "norm".

6. Foxface

My response deleted...ugh

ok

1. I like intimacy but not too much so I will let others answer this

2. This is the part that you have to be upfront and honest with people should they be pursuing you for a date or relationship. You just have to say to them in a genuine way that this is who I am. Communication is the key

Foxface

7. photoguy93

I think that it's all up to you. It's a hard question to ask because I personally would hate it...with a passion. So you will always get different responses.

As I usually say with these things....does it bother you? If you're asking us, that means you're at least thinking about it.

8. purplekitty

I also do not want any intimacy. I don't mind friendships, and maybe even a relationship if it had no sex, but I'm pretty set on just being single my whole life.

I've had a few people act surprised. When I saw one of my aunts at a reunion, she asked if I wanted to get married and stuff. I said no. She was completely shocked, and I didn't know how to respond because it was the first time anyone had acted that way to me.

Now-a-days, if someone asks me why I don't want a boyfriend/to get married, I just tell them that I want to finish my school work/secure my career before I worry about that stuff.

9. Tyrael

Hello there. I guess my response to this question is easy, I like to keep things simple. It's your choice to not have a partner or not want to have sex, not theirs. It's quite frankly none of their business. You are not required to explain yourself to anyone. Simple as that.

As for me, I haven't been in a relationship for almost 5 years now and I'm ok with that. Part of me feels like I want to at least have a physical relationship with someone but then I just end up putting myself off the idea. It's a life style choice and at the end of the day, it's your choice. And you may or may not feel differently in the future and that's perfectly fine too.

10. MoyashiAlice

@Glalie
    Thanks, I'm so glad to find someone who doesn't view sex as the be all end all. :dry: I try to explain to people that I don't want to be in a relationship yet everyone seems convinced that I will change my mind. :eusa_doh: Apparently, I am a 'motherly" type and people have a tough time believing I don't want kids or anything.

@imsoconfused
    Thanks! :grin: Glad to see another person similar.

@starfish
    Thank you for sharing your story. Gotta say, I loved this phrase: "See these people are assholes, and I generally find it best to avoid assholes." :lol: Some people really are so judgmental!

@Emulator
    Thanks! It's true, why do we need to stick to the norm? :thumbsup:

@FoxFace
    In a way, I have tried. I try to explain to people that I never want to be in a relationship but most people say I'm "naive" or "young" or "will change my mind." :dry:

@photoguy93
    It does bother me to a certain degree when people get annoyed/upset about it. Not so much with strangers, but more so with the people who call themselves my friends or family. My parents, brother and some Aunts are quite unhappy by this news for example. But the way I see it, I have two siblings who want to have children, so I don't need to. :eusa_danc Some of my "friends" also have a problem with it. If the topic is guys,they often just skip over me (not that I have anything to say anyway) and tend to tease me about never wanting to be in a relationship saying I will change my mind. :bang:

---------- Post added 25th Nov 2013 at 08:44 PM ----------

@Purplekitty
    Thank you! Someone like me! :grin: I love the response you give as well.

@Tyrael
    Thanks, that was a great answer! It isn't their choice at all your right! Why can't more people see that????

11. Foxface

Well then you're going to have to remember one thing very carefully

May want to get a pen and paper out for this

ready?

ok

"You are wonderful just as you are"

hard pill to swallow I know :slight_smile:

Foxface

12. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think everyone's said pretty much everything but just wanted to add that there are plenty of people who identify as 'asexual', meaning that they are not interested in sex. Not that you need to put a label on it, but just to let you know that you're most definitely not the only one, and there is a label there if you want it. I have an asexual friend in fact. Also, sexuality can change, you don't need to pick a label and stick to it, just continue to be in touch with your feelings... I say well done for realising you feel this way as a lot of people would have just gone and had sex because it was the done thing and then hated it and felt crap.