1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The afterlife and is there a "meaning of life"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tyrael, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Tyrael

As the title says, what is your view on an afterlife, is there one? And the meaning of life?

The reason I ask this is because I was recently confronted by a group of Christians and pretty much attacked by them because they overheard me telling one of them I was an atheist. A group of angry christians is a force to be reckoned with, especially when you're the only one fighting your corner.

Anyway I believe there is no afterlife, when we die that's it for us. Might seem depressing but I find it rather freeing. And the meaning of life, well without religion to fall back on, that's a hard one to answer. I try to be good though I personally believe human nature is to NOT be good, not in modern day anyway. We're very self involved and harsh to one another these days.

Anyway, let me know what you all think please. Curiosity and all that jazz :slight_smile:

2. justjade

I subscribe to the idea that life serves the same purpose as a roller coaster. It's there to be experienced and enjoyed.

I also believe in reincarnation.

3. Eevar

I have similar beliefs regarding death. As for life, well, despite being an Atheist with and interest in Paganism, I have on many occasions, been mistaken for a Christian, purely because I try to live as a kind individual.
    I disagree with you view on human nature though. I believe we are inherently good, however due to the multitude of blinding religions, and that modern life is very much a rat race, a large percentage of the populace have "lost their way" (which is what originally made me interested in Paganism, as a lot of these people have been the happiest, and kindest people I have met).

4. Nyarlathotep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I'm Jewish, so I believe that one day the Messiah will come and Earth will essentially become a paradise, with no death or war or evil, all the Jews and Righteous Gentiles will be resurrected to live with us again and it'll be pretty awesome. As for the meaning of life, I think it's just (outside of Judaism) being a good person and helping your fellow man, and while the world might be a cruel place nowadays, that doesn't change the fact that we should be nice people.

5. Tyrael

I like the usage of "lost their way". Part of me wants to believe that humans are good, but essentially we do lots of bad things and always have. Regardless of modern day. We have always killed each other by the hundreds and thousands, and have done so for thousands of years. We have always been stealing, lying, cheating and generally being bad to one another, since forever for all we know. Is it part of human nature? Or just something that lots of people grew up to learn? I suspect the latter. The nature vs nurture debate is for another time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't good people out there. Just few and far between.

As much as I would love for reincarnation to be true, I just can't bring myself to honestly think it could be.

@Nyarlathotep I'm assuming you were raised in a Jewish household? I respect your beliefs, but have you really thought about it logically? Do you believe the human race could possibly put aside all it's differences, even if your Messiah was to come? I find it very hard to believe.

6. Tzoa

I was gonna say the same thing. :lol:

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish there were an afterlife. I really do. But I don't think it's possible, and on this subject, there's really one absolute answer: We don't know for sure. And the only way to find out is to die, and so I'm really not ready to find out.

8. Tyrael

That's a very reasonable way of looking at it. I always thought it would be fun for my heart to be stopped just for a minute or two, then be brought back. Just to see what happens. Somehow I doubt any respectful doctor would risk that though :grin:

9. Saint Otaku

I subscribe ultimately to Absurdism, but I truly do believe deep within me there is something metaphysical about existence: I believe I exist.

10. Ticklish Fish

I'm sorry about you being cornered by a horde of Christians.

Also I'm still trying to reform my believes and ideology since I kind of stepped out of Christianity teaching recently.

11. Tyrael

It's ok, I generally relish the chance for a theological debate. It's just not much fun when you're being ganged up on, you can't really hope to win anyone over!

Oh really? You used to teach Christianity or you've been brought up that way and now stepping out of it?

12. Coinshot

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm an agnostic theist, so I think there might be a god(s), but I know it's probably not likely.

My beliefs on the afterlife are weird. I think there might be different planes of existence (spiritual realms) that people go to when they die. And I think reincarnation might exist in some form, but beyond that there's really no way we can know for sure. So the afterlife for me is pretty much a huge unknown. Since that explanation takes time, I usually just say "agnostic".

I really like reading about religions and discussing other people's beliefs with them. I think there can be something learned from every one, even if that religion might not be the absolute truth it claims to be. I can thank 14 years of Catholic/Jesuit school for that.

13. Nyarlathotep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My Mom grew up in a Reformed household and my Dad is fairly secular, so I grew up mainly just celebrating the high holidays like Hanukkah and Pesach(Passover). As I've grown up I've actually gotten more religious. I realize logically that it doesn't make much sense, but I still think it's true. A lot of people (myself included) believe that people are at their core, good and that they just become cynical and spiteful as they grow up in an indifferent world. I think that with the right words anyone can once again become good and be true to that fundamental trait. So I believe that the Messiah will know exactly how to get everyone to put aside their differences. Obviously not everyone will be able to do this and people will still have to be punished for past wrongs even if they did repent, although the punishment is purely corrective and only lasts a max of one year although they can still be denied resurrection, so it's just that most people will be able to live in harmony with each other.

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Whether or not an afterlife exists doesn't change the fact that we only get one chance at *this* life, though, so why not make the most of it? Dying with regrets must be one of the worst scenarios for someone who took their life for granted.

15. Tyrael

That's very true. Though I would imagine that everyone dies with regrets, either big or small. For instance I regret not taking a job opportunity in another country when I was 16 years old which would have changed my entire life, I'll always have that on my mind.

16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The meaning of life is whatever you wish to claim it is. Until proven otherwise there is no literal truth behind it.

Barring some sort of fuzzy line of thinking (which I'm perfectly fine with, personally), death is likely as it was before having gained consciousness.

No, just, no. I had a rant all typed up but it's too much. It's a pet peeve of mine.... Put quickly: this claim is a never-ending cycle. Youth today will be claiming the exact same thing about the next generation, decades from now - just as has been claimed for every set of generations previous to this set.

Human nature/behavior as a collective doesn't change much (Attitudes do, behavior doesn't). People are just as mean and self-centered as they ever have been, and ever will be.

#16 Browncoat, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  17. Tyrael

@Lovely I actually covered that there. About the general long-term badness heh.

18. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, sorry, I skipped past it.

It seems to contradict your original post though. I agree with your second one (obviously).

19. Tyrael

Well I like to think it follows the same guidelines but it just expands on it to show how it's always been the way it is. It's a shame really, it feels like life is ruled by the $ or £ more than it's ruled by right and wrong. And considering there's no difference between a US $ and a Monopoly $ besides the value we give it in our minds, it's a real shame.

20. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

No.

You are free.

Enjoy it while you can.