1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you thankful for?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BradThePug, Nov 25, 2013.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With Thanksgiving coming up I'm the U.S., I thought that it would be cool to have a thread where we can state what we are thankful for.

I'm thankful that I made it home before the winter storm hit here in Ohio. I'm also thankful that I have accepting friends and family. I am thankful for EC as well, because without this forum, I would never have learned how to accept myself for who I am.

So, what are all of you thankful for?

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thankful that I'm happier with who I am and what I'm doing than I've ever been before. I've struggled a lot over the years with low self-confidence, and while it's still not that great, it's better than it's ever been.

Last Thanksgiving I never thought I would have come out to my parents and joined a community like this. Last Thanksgiving I never thought I would have such clarity on the direction I want to take with the rest of my graduate work and beyond, nor did I think that I'd feel as confident about getting there as I do now. And even though they are still struggling to understand bisexuality, my parents don't love me any less than they did last Thanksgiving.

So I really have a lot to be thankful for.

3. Emulator

Everything. I don't deserve anything, but I have enough to get by nevertheless, so I'm thankful for that.

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thankful for, cliché though it may be, my life. I'm thankful for being alive and well enough to lay here pondering what else has come my way that I'm grateful for.

I'm thankful to have a job. It may be overwhelming, drama-centric, and sometimes make me sick with worry, but it's a job. It keeps me from being totally destitute. In a way I'm almost thankful to be struggling financially, because I feel it makes me appreciate the things I do have more.

I'm thankful for my family. It might not always seem so, but I truly am. That way there's almost a guarantee that someone in the cold hard world is bound to love me. xD

I'm thankful for EC, because it's been a staple in my life for so long now. Aside from my family, my cat, and a few television sitcoms, it's the longest I've ever committed to something.

I know, I know, my answers are hardly revolutionary in their originality. But this past year has me feeling thankful for the simple things. And all things considered, I'd say I have a wonderful life. :slight_smile:

5. justjade

I'm thankful to be who I am and to still be alive.

I'm thankful for EC and all those who have given me good, sound advice.

I'm thankful for my friends, my job, and most importantly, my husband.

6. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's kinda ironic this thread shows up the day before I lost my job. However, I'm thankful for my Brother and Mother. They have been iconic in my life, I couldn't have made it this far in life without them.

7. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We don´t do Thanksgiving as a family, by the way, but I´m really thankful that I have great parents, and that I met my boyfriend when I did and that he survived his coma and that today is our first anniversary.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thankful:

For my children who love me still despite my flaws

For my family who've helped me this year in difficult times

For my health

For discovering who I am

For my new job and my wonderful colleagues

For my talents and my weaknesses

For living in a peaceful and accepting country

For my many friends

For the gift of love

---------- Post added 26th Nov 2013 at 12:22 PM ----------

Congratulations Boyfriend! May your love grow ever-stronger with each passing year!

9. Mrtambourineman

Im thankful that I live in the UK and am still close friends with Americans.
    Im thankful that the New England Patriots beat the Broncos and the the Boston Bruins are winning the NHL Atlantic division.
    Im happy that im seeing friends and fam this Christmas.

10. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am thankful for all the little chance occurrences that put me here at this moment in time, and allowed me to share it with those around me.

Thankful that my grandmother's parents needed extra money, so they took in a boarder who ended up being my grandfather. Thankful that my dad's kid sister, stuck in the hospital, thought it would be cute to introduce her nurse to her big brother. Thankful that someone noticed that I jumped into the deep end of the swimming pool when I was a toddler, and fished me out before I drowned. Thankful that my mom's sudden death pushed me in a new direction that caused me to meet many wonderful people who made my life full again. Thankful that my dad's long decline gave us time to resolve our differences and become friends. Thankful for the doctor who figured out what was keeping our oldest daughter from being conceived, and thankful for the Fathers Day quickie that led to our youngest! And thankful for the wonderful, supportive people that I have come to know here and elsewhere in my life.

When we think of giving thanks, it's often for the big, wonderful things in our lives, and that's very appropriate. We SHOULD be thankful for them. But our lives are made up of hundreds, thousands, maybe millions, of little chance decisions and events that make our lives richer and make us who we are. Sometimes they don't seem like things we should even BE thankful for at the time, until we look back from a distance. Every second is precious, and I'm thankful for all of them.

11. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you, Greatwhale!

12. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thankful that my kitten loves me and is healthy, and that I have three best friends who keep me sane and have my back when something goes wrong. I am thankful that I finally know what direction I want to take my life in.

13. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My bizarre sense of humour.

14. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am thankful for ...

being born and to experience this planet.

finding EC and learning a lot about
    - other peoples' stories and struggles
    - trans people (I was pretty ignorant)
    - gay people with religious beliefs (i thought did not exist.. derrr)

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thankful for the guy I think might be my one and only. I love how happy we are together, and I'm thankful that we met young. Some people wait a lifetime to find love, and we found it way early. It's been two years now, and it's amazing to me just how close we've grown.

I'm thankful for my dogs, who I get to see again tomorrow. If nobody else does, they show us love and acceptance, and even more so when there's food involved.

And I'm thankful for you guys, where a chance encounter brought me to EC six months ago, and you guys are like a second family. I love you all, and care about you guys just as much. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is so cool of you, AG. Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

I'm more glass half full. There are several things I'm not thankful for, but let's get with the spirit of the season and not go there.

Mostly, I am thankful for laughter, which has been the best medicine for me, and the ability to laugh along with friends, family, coworkers, and even just random strangers. Few things are more uplifting than a great big laugh.

17. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm just thankful I have a toilet. Imagine having not toilet. Like I love Tomas Crapper. He is so awesome for inventing the toilet. It actually served a purpose unlike that apple dude.

18. antimacy

My Thanksgiving was a month ago, buut:
    I'm thankful for my job and my team.
    I'm thankful for my mom for everything she does. I'm thankful for my family, too, but my mom deserved a special mention.
    I'm thankful for my closest friends for being around when they can since they aren't so close geographically.

19. person57

I'm very thankful for my great friends and my great family. I'm also thankful for my pets. And just like AG, I'm very thankful for all of you guys. I love you all. I'm also very thankful that I live in California where not that much people are homophobic and gay marriage is legal. I'm thankful that the LGBT community is becoming more accepted. I'm thankful that I am who I am, and I'm thankful for all of the people who inspired me :slight_smile:

20. kem

kem

Obviously we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but I still want to list things I am thankful for:
    I'm thankful for my friends, who stand by me and support me and who comfort me when I'm feeling bad.
    I'm thankful for still being alive and well. I have my anxiety attacks which are hard to cope with sometimes, but acknowledging that the spiral of negative thoughts will pass and that it's not the end helps a lot.
    I'm thankful for my father. Even though I'm scared of finding out whether he'll love me regardless of my sexuality, I'm glad he is in my life to protect me. Just his presence gives me a sense of safety. I hate that I have to keep things secret from him. I also hate that even though my Turkish is good, great even, using it intimidates me too much to really talk to him about meaningful stuff.
    I'm thankful for my mother, who has so much love for me, even though I disappoint her all the time. She knows all about me except that I smoke (I think so at least – praise the lord she can't smell).
    I'm thankful for my little brother. He's so unlike me, but we still have mutual interests. I love going to gym and watching films and TV shows with him.
    I'm thankful that I have a school to attend and something to do during the day. Even though it feels as if teachers treat our class as if we were third-graders and critique is hardly constructive, just being forced to draw 5 hours a day helps improve my skills.
    I'm thankful for EmptyClosets. Although I'm extremely fortunate to be able to be myself completely when I'm with my friends, I'm still happy that I have found a community that is so kind.