1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 year of change

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fulcrum, Nov 26, 2013.

1. fulcrum

As the year starts to draw to a close I find myself thinking a lot about how my life has changed. Its as if the universe has cleansed so much out of my life.

- Left my toxic job and toxic boss got a new better one.
    - Changed my problematic car for a brand new one.
    - Bought a flat, so no more renting.
    - Old useless friends no longer in contact with me.
    - Relaxed my hair so now I can actually style it for the first time eva :slight_smile:

Wow, thats all I can say. Change everywhere. It hasnt always been easy, or pain free. But in hindsight, it all was for the better. I wouldnt change anything. Im looking so forward to the holidays where I can just relax and reflect, mostly reflect.

And to think, the world was suppose to end last year. Or maybe it just marked the beginning. It definitely did for me :icon_bigg

How has the year been for you guys?

2. Emulator

:thumbsup:

The year has been tumultous for me. It's when I started to discover the third gender, and that things are changing (maybe things were always like this, but I never knew it) and it's when I tried out new things. It has definitely been a struggle thus far, but I believe it's for the better.

3. method

Big year of change for me.

• I came out
    • I left the church I've been going to all my life (religiously twice a week, plus a whole lot of extra nights for stupid reasons)
    • I started my first real job after graduation
    I'm looking forward to the next year, exploring this new world I've just opened up. :icon_wink

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

All of the past few years have been big years of change for me, and 2013 was no different. Let's see...

-I went from being absolutely sure I was unemployable and planning on going to grad school full time to working full time as a software engineer, which I'm really enjoying.
    -I started living on my own (actually on my own, not in a dorm room with a dining hall to make my food and living in my parents' home for four/five months of the year).
    -I came out on Facebook about the last secret I was keeping, being into feederism, due to wanting to talk about what an awesome time I had at a meet-up for members of a site dedicated to that topic. This leaves me with basically no closets left to come out of. :slight_smile:
    -My musical tastes went through a pretty radical realignment where I'm liking things I never would have thought to listen to before, and not getting anything out of some music I used to love. The net effect seems to be that my musical tastes have expanded.
    -The suicidal urges stopped. :slight_smile:

And hey, there's still a month left; who knows what else could be in store!

5. fulcrum

Good to hear (*hug*)

6. Eevar

I've had an amazing year of learning, self discovery and understanding. It's been both daunting, and heartening (which I find odd because they are directly synonymous).

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    2013 will be a memorable year for me!

- came out to myself in February and found EC
    - left a crap job and became a Director in drug development in March
    - got separated from a toxic 20-year marriage and moved out in April
    - had my first boyfriend in May and June (broke up but a good learning experience)
    - marched in the Pride parade in August
    - joined a gay choir in September
    - joined as volunteer for a gay hotline in October
    - got my right ear pierced
    - came out to my side of the family and friends
    - met more new people in the past 8 months than I've met in the past 20 years
    - breathed

(and the year isn't over yet! :grin:)

8. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

I also left a crappy job to move on to other things. I'm glad to see so many others doing that.:icon_bigg

9. justjade

My year's been pretty crazy. I'm glad everyone else so far has a lot to say for themselves. Here I go:

- I took on a job as an insurance agent in January.
    - Did that for two or three weeks then had a suicidal breakdown and had to quit.
    - Went back to school to be a holistic wellness practitioner in March.
    - Started therapy and began taking Prozac for my depression and social anxiety.
    - Worked at a pizza place for about 3 months, then went back to my job at Arby's.
    - Came out to myself as transgender sometime in the summer.
    - Found religion again (and by religion, I mean art).
    - Came out to more and more people as transgender. Had some good reactions and some bad ones.
    - Found a fellow transman through a classmate and started talking to him.
    - Dropped out of school after taking on more hours at work.
    -Turned 25 and finally switched to my husband's last name after being married over a year.
    - And probably most importantly, I matured and grew and learned that being a man isn't about what's between your legs. It's about what's between your ears. I've been kind of passively coming out ever since.

I'm so glad I've had this year and all its experiences, good and bad. I've really learned a lot. I've learned how to be healthier and happier and how to be a life coach and help others. I've grown and blossomed into a strong, resilient, and might I add rather handsome young man, and I am damn proud. :slight_smile:

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    *Came out to myself and others, joined EC, and stumbled upon a trans support group
    *Registered for classes (again), started working at a warehouse, and got back into guitar, video games, working out, and language learning
    *After spending a few days in the hospital and switching medication, deciding to do whatever it takes to move forward with my life
    *Shopped online for female attire!
    *Honored TDOR for the first time!
    *Got back in touch with old friends, while making a few new ones

11. Hexagon

Its been pretty good. Better than all the other years, anyway. I got top surgery, started college, and acheived a reasonable level of self esteem for the first time. Next year, I hope to move out, get a job, get a SO, get bottom surgery, get a male birth certificate and continue doing well in college.

12. antimacy

When I think about it, 2013 was a pretty big year for me.
    Got a job that leaves me feeling happy and fulfilled,
    Came out to my mom and sister,
    Came out to more of my friends,
    Ended a relationship that had long run its course,
    Maintained friendships despite distance,
    Made it onto the Dean's List and hoping to do that again this year!

13. timo

* I came out to pretty much everyone
    * Kissed a guy for the first time. Oh yeah
    * Bought an old but definitely very awesome car
    * Aced all projects and my internship, so I'm almost ready to graduate

So yeah, good year at university, good year for one my biggest passions (my car, and driving it), good year in my personal life. Let's hope 2014 will bring something relationship-esque. And a job after graduating.

14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -Woke up on the morning of January 1 in Largo, Florida, and later that day attended the Outback Bowl, and watched Michigan blow a late lead against South Carolina.
    -Celebrated my 18th birthday on February 28, the same day that Pope Benedict XVI became the first Pope to resign in 598 years.
    -Last day of high school was May 17.
    -Joined EC on May 19
    -Came out to a teacher in a letter a few days later.
    -Was outed to my mom in mid-June it turns out.
    -Came out to all remaining aunts and uncles on my mom's side of the family in June
    -Left the United States for the first time in 15 years in August when I went to Canada for the first time.
    -Moved in and away with my boyfriend on August 27
    -Went to my first college class on September 3
    -"Married" my boyfriend at a faux-marriage ceremony to raise awareness about the LGBT community on October 10.
    -Voted for the first time on November 5

That about covers it so far.

15. animequeen567

Oh boy most of the beginning of the year was a blur. I've had a crazy year. Be prepared for a long list of depression with a few happy things mixed in.

=First thing of the year was my New Years Resolution which was to come out. I got to come out to pretty much everyone except my family. Everyone was accepting :slight_smile:
    =Almost didn't get to go to my college this year because I didn't have money. Had a mental breakdown because the only thing I wanted was to go back.
    =My dad's abuse got worse and I didn't want to stay at home. Another reason I was having mental breakdowns at home.
    =My aunt gave me $6000 after my mom begged her for the money. She originally lied to make me look bad and gave excuses. (I'll be paying her back eventually.)
    =I went into a terrible depression and was down on myself all the time. Had it not been for my wonderful friends, I probably wouldn't be here right now.
    =Started having trouble focusing and had trouble with my classes. Stopped wanting to go to them. Completely conflicted. Anxious because I didn't want to fail out.
    =Had another mental breakdown.
    =Got a counselor for extreme anxiety.
    =Started hanging out with a friend that I had met at a halloween party last year more often, and gained a major crush on them. Even though they like someone else I still have high hopes that he'll like me one day.
    =Decided that I'm going to move out and get an apartment with that friend. He wants to get me away from my abusive dad.
    =Got my first real cosplays. Equius from Homestuck and Belarus from Hetalia. I made Equius and my friend made Belarus for me! I look awesome in them! I also started getting stuff for Grell from Black Butler. Right now I have the wig (another friend gave me! :grin:) and do a casual version of the Grell costume. I even wore the cosplays to class! XD
    =Been on a job search for months. No one's called me back or given me a chance :frowning2:

That about covers it. My year hasn't been the greatest :frowning2: I'm working on it though. I'm just taking things day by day and even though sometimes I'm down on myself I make it a point to be with people that make me happy. If it weren't for my friends, I wouldn't be trying.

#15 animequeen567, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    - Fought multiple demons (a drinking habit that could have gotten bad, the possibility of an eating disorder evolving, getting my ass kicked by depression and bipolar, dysphoria and so on)
    - Was hospitalized three times
    - Stayed on the road to weight loss for a while, losing about 40 pounds (now I've been putting it all back on)
    - Rekindled broken bonds with friends
    - Found love again
    - Came out to my father and the Internet as a whole

There's still time left, so who knows what might happen?

17. Hefiel

Damn, OP had the same idea for a thread and beat me to posting it! Oh well.

-Came out to myself in February.
    -Came out to my parents in April.
    -Got gradually out of depression (I should say that I'm doing quite fine nowadays).
    -Rebuilt a friendship I had lost 5 years prior.
    -Learned to be more comfortable with myself, both psychologically and physically.
    -Went to the Pride Parade in Montreal.
    -Went back to college.
    -I'm 100% out as gay.
    -Been learning to socialize again and have made many friends, whereas I had none until the beginning of this year.

Overall, it's been a very busy year emotionally. The difference between the me of today and the me before I was out of the closet is just incredible, and all of this in less than a year. Now if only I could meet a really nice guy :lol:

18. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -Finally made peace with my sexuality
    -Came out to my parents, sister, and three friends
    -Joined EC (seriously, one of the best things I've ever done for myself)
    -Got my master's degree (en route to a PhD)
    -Got a manuscript published in a research journal
    -Got my first speeding ticket (the way I drive it was a long time coming lol)
    -Got word that my mom has been breast-cancer free for a whole year
    -Am just, in general, happier with who I am and where my life is heading than I've ever been

19. LongMayIReign

- Started seriously analyzing my sexuality
    - Finished middle school/ Entered high school
    - France!
    - Forgave the girl who tormented me all through middle school
    - Entered an entirely new group of friends
    - Gained an understanding of my anxiety
    - Began playing the piccolo
    - Broke my toe doing a cartwheel
    - Took a French course over the summer and realized it was the wrong curriculum
    - Started watching Glee, DW, and Once Upon a Time
    - And my greatest achievement of reading books for fun again which I haven't been able to do in way too long but am loving it again

20. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

2013 definitely brought some life changes, similar to 2003. The big change years for me were 2003, 2007, 2009, and 2013. In 2003, I was becoming a teen and my voice was changing. Puberty was happening and it was the first year I discovered what this thing called "gay" was. For 10 years, I remained in denial, closeted, and at times hated myself for it. This year, I finally accepted it and came out to myself and a very select few of close friends. 10 long years. It still feels like I am jumping in a pool of ice cold water, but at least I am going forward and not backward.