1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melting Pot Myth: Is assimlation really good for Queers?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DesertTortoise, Nov 26, 2013.

1. DesertTortoise

Not sure which forum this fits...

In the media, the issues that get attention all have to do with assimilation. Marriage equality, so called--which is really a bribe to join an essentially hetero-normative institution if we want the benefits hetero-normies get. And a range of issues that mostly have to do with access to different markets ('gays' have a lot of disposable income--and the capitalists are becoming interested in...not us... but our money).
    But there's a very different way of looking at queer status in a hetero-normative world. 1) Assimilate and pretend you're only queer in bed with your lover and have nothing in common with other queers that's different than the hetero-world--other than you like fucking them. No history. Nothing you could call a culture.
    Or--2) you start from the assumption that we always have been and always will be a minority--of many tribes perhaps, but with more in common with one another than sexual preference alone. The choice is not between discrimination or assimilation (eradication of our visible and potential cultural identity) but between being a persecuted minority, or a valued minority. I prefer to reject the melting pot myth and the horrors it inflicts on marginalized minorities, and the pressures to conformity that go with it.
    In many cultures we were valued--as story tellers, creators, shamans medicine women spirit guides, bearers of tradition. There is an advantage to being an outsider--you can more easily see what remains invisible to insiders. We have gifts we can contribute--AS Queers, not despite the fact.

2. I do not agree,

my wanting to belong in a relationship and have the benefits that come with the contract of marriage and also be able to have the same title that everyone else has and be seen as an equal as all others I see as elevating my self and my relationship.

also just taking our own relationships into equality is good - it puts our struggle in the same vein as all others - just like suffrage , or more recently the civil rights movement in neither case did they ask to be "special" and outside but they just wanted to be equal - in the same way we need to be equal

the major thing about many people objecting to feminism is people keep saying we want special rights when we just want equality

and this is the problem behind what you are asking - you want to be special and NOT equal - this would lead to MORE hatred and not less

(plus , I just don't like associating myself with the word you use)

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to see people being able to be who they are, whether that's a businessman in a suit who has a husband, 2.4 kids and a picket fence; a radical queer who refuses all mainstream ideas; or anything in between.

4. DesertTortoise

There can be diversity and equality. No contradiction there. But there is no equality when the price is assimilation, because there will always be those who don't fit the mold. We're ruled by a patriarchal, racist corporate State that brings death and suffering to much of the world. Why anyone would want to 'fit in' to that is beyond me.

5. TTSP

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Interesting thread. I've always found the idea of gay people being a slightly more even mix of the fundamental masculine and feminine principles very appealing. That is my metaphysics however and although I only discovered I was gay recently I believed in the interplay of masculine and feminine principles beforehand so I had a nice metaphysical framework to fit my orientation into. If I was a total materialist I guess you would have to consider myself some form of evolutionary mistake :wink:

I think there is a good reason mainstream book based religions hate gay people and that is because gay people might be fundamentally occult and mystical. I have read that in some traditional African societies gay people were the gatekeepers to the spirit world. Also I think similar discoveries were made in other tribes (if any knows of a book discussing this And giving examples I would be very interested) in the Amazon. In Taoism they were obsessed about losing male spiritual essence when having sex with women etc.

6. DesertTortoise

Look up 'two spirit people'

In many cultures, we were bearers of tradition, shamans, spirit guides. There is insight in being an outsider!

IMDiversity Gay Native Americans Rediscover 'Two-Spirit' Identity » IMDiversity

Here's a book on Two Spirit people among some Native Americans.
    Two-Spirit People: Native American Gender Identity, Sexuality, and Spirituality: Sue-Ellen Jacobs, Wesley Thomas, Sabine Lang: 9780252066450: Amazon.com: Books

Come on, peeps! We have our own history! Our own culture waits for us to step in and create it. We don't have to identify with the horrible corporate nightmare world we were born into!

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2013 at 07:09 PM ----------

Two spirit people.
    Two Spirits | Documentary on Navajo Teen Fred Martinez | Independent Lens | PBS

7. TTSP

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    In regards to the corporate nightmare. I think queer people have a good vantage point to view it's flaws but I don't think it's really a queers vs straights problem rather it's an elites vs everyone problem. The elites have had access, money and generations to implant modern ideology into the world. They have the resources and time to quash almost all opposition. it's a fight queer people are involved in probably more so than most but it's also a fight everyone should be involved in. I see our original role as spiritual/shamanic.

Interesting that Siberian shamans tended to dress as woman even affecting female accents on occasion. Found that online just now.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a difference between living your life as you wish and assimilation*.

I know of too many LGBT people who denounce the community as a whole and try to separate themselves. The faux-hetero desperate to fit in and pretend they're not like "them" - the open and non-conforming queers. A mixture of shame and a love for the (usually white male) hetero culture that works directly against them.

Then there are those who don't really have much interest in gay pride and other queer-centred things, but have no problem with the existence of the community, and will join in occasionally. The former is disastrous, the second can be anything from a conceited idiot with every other privilege who ignores others' rights once they've got their own, or being for social development and helping lead the way to rights of all kinds.

Assimilation means a loss of identity and the treatment of heterosexuality as superior. It means begging for the approval of the oppressors.

*Assimilation can never be full. There will always be social conservatives who deride LGBT people; they'll "accept" them, but will always treat them as inferiors in (not-so) subtle ways.

9. TTSP

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think it is pretty hard for gay people to assimilate but possible. I've spent my whole life assimilating and squashing myself as I was in denial. Trying to find out who I am under it all is difficult but exciting. I've been brainwashed trying to undo it is difficult. Not having the courage to accept yourself is hard but I went to straightening school when I was younger and the lessons were pretty harsh :wink:

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there's a LOT more options than the '1 & 2' you outline.

And I don't think I have anything much in common with other gay people aside from being gay. I share just as much in common with various human beings, and I don't see the need to hang labels on myself. Sure, I'm gay. Sure, I can contribute to society. But I'm not expecting that simply based on my sexual preference that I'm somehow so different from others.

The way 'assimilation' is mentioned, one would think we were about to be assimilated by The Borg.

Also, just because one gets married, it doesn't mean they disappear into some closet, and 'pretend you're queer only in bed with your lover'. Far from it. It's part of my identity, expressed in my poetry, in conversation, in life. I don't feel the need to wear some special badge, or live in a gay ghetto. I really don't see how you can make such an outlandish claim that one can only "Assimilate and pretend you're only queer in bed with your lover...", or move on to option 2, with no other possibilities.

There's a lot of middle ground here, and such brash, ham-fisted statements only serve to muddy and occlude the issues and stave off rational conversation.

I've been out since 1985, and I don't feel the the need to hide, nor assimilate.

#10 HuskyPup, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  11. DesertTortoise

"Assimilation means a loss of identity and the treatment of heterosexuality as superior. It means begging for the approval of the oppressors."

And matters in the heteronormative world are at a point of crisis, the very survival of humans on this planet is at stake. Binary gender definitions, and how they're used to create hierarchies and define power and privilege, is a spiritual disease at the heart of many the problems we face.

The Borg is a pretty good metaphor for assimilation, actually.

#11 DesertTortoise, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  12. biggayguy

It's hard to maintain our culture when you have lgbt people that don't know anything about Stonewall. How do you educate folks that won't look up something as basic as Stonewall?

13. TTSP

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    assimilation is a pretty powerful force these days the world is increasingly homogeneous. There are powerful media and conditioning tools at work. All the economic uncertainty just breeds more fear and increases the motivation to conform and not take risks. One advantage most queer people have is that they do not have children with all the responsibilities that involves allowing them to live a much freer life with less constraints and more risk taking.

Nice pics of... Diversity!
    Stunning Portraits Of The World’s Remotest Tribes Before They Pass Away (46 pics) | Bored Panda

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given the great diversity of my friends, LGBT, and otherwise, and the people I've known from all walks of life in all the various places I've lived and worked, I'd say it's a pretty simplistic, fear-mongering one, that seems judgmental, and overly black and white. Everyone assimilates to some degree.

You complain about evil binary forces, then give us choices 1 and 2.

I'm sorry, but I think you're more interested in advancing some odd crotchet than having a civil discussion by making such hyperbolic claims.

15. you ignored what I said and inserted you own word

I said equality and you inserted assimilate

equality
      Use Equality in a sentence
    e·qual·i·ty
    [ih-kwol-i-tee] Show IPA
    noun, plural e·qual·i·ties.
    the state or quality of being equal; correspondence in quantity, degree, value, rank, or ability

assimilate
      Use Assimilate in a sentence
    as·sim·i·late
    [v. uh-sim-uh-leyt; n. uh-sim-uh-lit, -leyt] Show IPA verb, as·sim·i·lat·ed, as·sim·i·lat·ing, noun
    verb (used with object)
    to take in and incorporate as one's own; absorb: He assimilated many new experiences on his European trip.

one elevates everyone as being the same as each other, the other (your choice) is earasure, don't put words in my mouth

you are participating in what the patriarchy you so hate does!

so you want to set yourself up as a special better person just becaue of some "blessing" of how you were born? some higher class? what about us peons? are we setting up a caste system now? will I become an untouchable as a lesbian female?

as I said before equals, we are all people,, I am against the patriarchy and for all equality

FEMINISM IS EQUALITY aims to raise awareness about the implicit sexism that exists in our world and to challenge structural and institutional barriers. We hope to promote the recognition that feminism means equality in opportunity and treatment, not to promote one gender or antagonize another.

Feminism is equalism.

Feminism = Equality - Statement of Purpose

Feminism - Equality - Equal Rights - Feminity - Women's Liberation

Feminism means equality between men and women, and we’re not there yet - Telegraph

16. DesertTortoise

HuskyPup, let me tell you about hyperbole.
    If it were only about 'us,' thinking that if we're safe in our little world, that's all that matters. That on most of the rest of this planet, queers are not just stigmatized, but live in fear of losing their freedom or their lives, that in most of the geographical territory of the U.S.A., being other than hetero white male puts you at the back of the line, with no real say in the decisions white MEN make about your lives, our bodies, your right to send your children out of the house without some other white MAN shooting them dead, and walking away free? If it were only that, it would be enough to shout at the injustice, to work to change the exploitative murderous system that sucks all wealth and power and gives to a handful of men.

Almost every day, U.S. drones blow some brown child to bloody pieces on the other side of the world. How the war in Iraq, a war based on lies and lust for oil, has killed, gods know how many hundreds of thousands, almost all of them civilians... 'collateral damage'... that filthy euphemism for murder.

When there's a concerted effort to privatize everything—even water! In the name of corporate rights to profit, public education is being defunded, public schools (almost all in minority neighborhoods) closed while tax money is used to build private for profit prisons, which demand that the States keep them full! There are more people in American prisons that China, Russia, Iran, North Korea—combined!

That's not hyperbole, HuskyPup, that's fact. Zombie capitalism is eating its own brains, turning universities into job training centers where only the wealthiest can go without taking on debt they won't be able to repay in a lifetime. That's fact, no hyperbole. A perfect school to prison pipline.

Where the largest 'mental hospital' in the U.S. is.... Cook County Jail! Almost 10,000 inmates, many there for months and years without trial—and no heat in the Chicago winter except when activists put pressure on them... and then they turn it off again in a week. Visiting there should be required for American citizen. It's a concentration camp. Beyond horrible. Almost all of the incarcerated are people of color, and most for minor offenses that whites get a pass on. And of course, hundreds of the mentally ill.

We live in a country of the Corporations, for the Corporations, by the Corporations, where representatives and electoral offices are bought and paid for by big money, where votes mean next to nothing—showcase elections little better than the USSR at its worst.

We live in a global human charnel house, where our comforts are paid for by what we have stolen from others, by the lives of the hundreds of thousands we have blown to pieces, shot, starved, imprisoned. Where the elite, aware of what is happening to people, are so afraid that they're militarizing police forces—armored vehicles, tanks, and passing laws making dissent more and more difficult, if not illegal.

You see—this is the world I see around me. I see the effects of our post-capitalist corporate fascism at my doorstep. At the homeless man who sleeps wrapped in a blanket at the side of our building. By the children huddled with their mothers holding out cups for change from strangers. I read the stories prisoners of conscience send me in letters.

What happens to people that they become so desensitized, their sense of empathy and common humanity so atrophied that they can say, well that problem doesn't effect me, so I don't need think about it? That they can believe that because they're comfortable, calling attention to the horrors that make their comfort possible is just hyperbole?

With Elie Wiesel (who has remained shamefully silent on what Israel is doing in Gaza and the West Bank)... the greatest evil is indifference.

I will not be silent. I will not stop fighting, loving, resisting. Another world is possible.

#16 DesertTortoise, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  17. LiquidSwords

Absolutely this.

Straight people are as diverse a group as LGBT people, I have no problem getting on with straight people and I don't feel that there's any sort of pressure on me to fit on or 'assimilate' with the rest of society, I find the idea absurd.

---------- Post added 12th Dec 2013 at 06:51 PM ----------

Also, based on your last post, there's way more to your disaffection with US society than you being gay, it's strange to try and connect any of what you just talked about to your sexuality.

18. DesertTortoise

LiquidSwords,
    It's WHAT we are asked to assimilate to--a world of terrible suffering, inequality, injustice, a world that depends on exploitation and force, and asks US to help keep it running by our silence, our complicity--THAT'S the problem with assimilation. See my post above yours.
    Maybe it's that people are too young, have no sense of recent history--OUR history, to understand how this world works. Forget what you learned in school. Learn about real history. Learn about OUR history and you won't feel so comfortable in that hologram you inhabit.

#18 DesertTortoise, Dec 12, 2013
  19. LiquidSwords

That's the post I was referring to. I'm not claiming that the things you mentioned aren't legitimate things to be concerned about, just that I don't see how any of these issues are specific to LGBT people, a straight person could be equally appalled as you by all the same things.

20. DesertTortoise

LiquidSwords,

Because we begin as outsiders, because, even though accepted or tolerated in some urban centers, we understand what it means to be marginalized and stigmatized, that should sensitize us to the injustice done to others. We can draw on our experience to energize us to become a force for change, rather than being absorbed into very structures of power that create that suffering.

Because being different is not, and should not be the problem, and making that difference less visible is not the solution.

Because we, as queers, as inside-outsiders, together, not one by one, but together, have a unique lens through which to see the world.

There are models of this in history, in other cultures, where those who carried in themselves both male and female principles (two spirit people), were honored as spiritual guides, healers, bearers of the spiritual traditions.

We have no NEED to assimilate to better our situation. We can create our own culture, our own history--and better serve the rest of the world.

Because for me, being queer is about way more than who I fuck. It's a spiritual condition, and entails a special obligation as healers.

#20 DesertTortoise, Dec 12, 2013