1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organ and Tissue Donor?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Nov 27, 2013.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I just went and got my driver's permit renewed (Never felt the need to get my license yet), and for the first time, I signed up to be an organ, eye, and tissue donor. Now, my eyes are bad without contacts, so I don't think they could help somebody, but I decided that I wouldn't need them if something bad happened to me I wouldn't need my organs or tissues, and if they can help someone, I might as well sign up. Until I turn 18, my parents would still have to consent, but if something bad happens after that, they could just take what they needed with Missouri's new donor laws. I don't plan on going anywhere for a long time, though. So I was wondering if anyone else on EC is an organ/eye/tissue donor, when you signed up, and what all influenced your decision.

2. Siarad

I carry a donor card. I also believe that the law should be changed to an 'opt-out' policy on organ donation (meaning that if someone dies and their organs are usable, doctors are automatically able to use the organs unless someone has specifically 'opted out' of that before hand).

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, I'm a donor. I absolutely want someone who desperately needs my organs to get them, because at that point, I certainly won't be needing them anymore.

4. Hexagon

I'm a donor, and I agree about the opt-out as well.

5. I was - no longer eligible, used to give blood also on a regular basis, the eyes (err corneas) would also probably welcome by a blind person better to see with glasses than not at all

6. I signed up on my 18th birthday.

7. purplekitty

Yes, I am a donor. I signed up when I got my license because I personally think it would be rather selfish to keep my organs after I'm dead. Also I don't have any religious reasons to keep my body intact after I'm dead, which I think is the main reason why some people refuse to be donors.

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'm signing up as soon as I get a proper license. But yeah. We had a couple calls after my dad died asking if we were willing to go with donation. He'd always been against the idea, didn't.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother refuses to assent to me being an organ donor while she can (16-18 yrs old), but after that I'm volunteering.

I don't particularly need my organs once I'm dead. I have nothing to stop me donating my body to medicine after I'm dead; a funeral doesn't really need a body; such a waste.

---------- Post added 28th Nov 2013 at 05:10 PM ----------

Oh, and I've done several debates about opt-out vs opt-in systems of organ donation. I can't see a reason not to have opt-out. However, a donation of the entire body should be opt-in, I think.

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I am. Cant see any reason why I shouldnt~

11. Tim

Tim

I'm not. I inherited a degree of paranoia and conspiracy from my dad. xD He used to always say that he'll never be an organ donor because if you're in a crash and the people responding know you're an organ donor, you'd be less likely to survive.

I know that's not really true, but it's a paranoia that I 'inherited' from him, lol. No problem donating my working organs after I die though, my family knows that, I just won't be listed as one.

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This.

As much as I love the thought of helping someone else out, I picture a scenario like in Repo Men, where some guy knocks on my door one day and decides to "collect payment" prematurely. Someday, perhaps, but getting my health in better order is an absolute must, first.

13. Fiddledeedee

I am barred from donating blood and that probably extends to organs, but I have nonetheless repeatedly told my mother that I want to donate my entire body to science. When I'm 18, I'll see if I can sign up officially despite my illness.

14. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't be an organ donor due to my disease. Even if I could I would be wary for the reasons the others gave.

15. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am currently signed up to be one. I am also signed up as a marrow donor and I donate blood when ever I can.

However, with everything that I went through with the organ donation people when my Mom died, I do not know if I remain as one. What they did was absolutely horrible, and my Mom was not treat with respect, even after it was decided that she would not be a donor. I think that was when she was treated the worse.

16. mermaid

Yes, I am a donor. Can't see a reason not to do this.

17. I would be a blood donor, but can't because of my disease, which sucks. D:

18. Caillin

I have been thinking about it but im not sure if I will since it messes what i believe in and will tie me down to the earth in some form.

19. Sarcastic Luck

Yeah. My mom has the same belief, which is a bit absurd as far as I'm concerned.

Either way, I am signed up to be an organ donor.

20. antimacy

I signed up to be an organ donor! I know I opted out of a few organs at the time because the idea didn't sit well with me - I think cornea was one of them.

But people can take my liver, kidneys, heart, and a bunch of other stuff once I'm gone.

I also donate blood fairly regularly! May as well. I'm healthy.