1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feminism vs. Women's Rights Advocacy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sysreq, Nov 27, 2013.

?

Reject feminism for conspiracy to commit sexism/idiocy?

1. Yes.

25.0%
  2. No.

75.0%
  3. Neither (please post an answer)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sysreq

First let me say to those of you who've clicked on this thread and who're saying, "It's a GUY, a gay/bi one no less, posting about Women's Rights? Wot?"
    I'm not saying I know anything or am in a position to offer opinions due to not being female and therefore (supposedly) not having the right to hold an opinion. If you think that, then No, I don't have an opinion or any authority. I just want to know what you people think. In a civil manner.

This post isn't even about feminism, really. It's about why women are so in-your-irrelevant-face about it.

Firstly, for my purposes, Feminism is defined as an equality movement that's basically turned into an zap-all-remotely-misogynist-stuff movement in which women (who are already thought by feminists to require socially better treatment than men) get more than equal rights.
    Womens Rights Advocacy is attempting to get 'singularly and only, simply and just, EQUAL rights for women.' In the workplace, and in the regard of NOT saying 'the woman belongs in the home,' (B.S.) and 'if a woman pulls a knife on you, just pull out some bread and mayo. She'll know what to do.' (more B.S.).

The real reason I made this post are three really stupid things:

I see what it's saying....you know, hookup culture, men traditionally having more say in things...etc. But that generalistation is NO, NO.
    Discuss.

Again, I see....kinda...what it's getting at...but gender dysphoria is gender dysphoria and I am sympathetic to those who have it (can I say that without sounding insulting? Sorry :frowning2: ).
    Discuss.

Well, I may do that, and better yet I will.
    I'm destroying a social construct by marrying another man? K. Fuck social constructs.
    Also, %x is %y 's eternal partner comes from the bible. If you're not Christian/religious, it is inapplicable. (I'm an atheist.)
    Discuss.

One more question of my own: How can any self-piloting individual woman with any self respect believe in the bible? It's SO sexist. Must I list the ways? K.
    Discuss.

#1 sysreq, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  2. Hexagon

I reject your purposes, and everything that statement stands for. If that has come from anywhere, it is from idiots and misogynists who want to discredit feminism, and from a few isolated 'feminists' who would better be labelled female sexists.

Feminism is not about getting special/better rights for women. Its not about oppressing men. I'd advise you to study intersectionality before making such claims in the future. Importantly, feminism does not ignore men or hate men, as you seem to think. Gender roles can oppress men too you know.

Obviously masculinity doesn't equal misogyny. Nothing more to be said.

As for your second point, I strongly object to your use of the phase 'transitioning females', and weakly object to your use of the term ftm. I have little to say on the subject, except that my transition isn't misogyny, I transitioned because I am a man. I am also a feminist.

The third quote is just stupid.

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Anti-feminist here, just giving his perspective...

While the definition of the movement is "equality for all", and there are both male feminists (like Hexagon up there) and reasonable feminists (also like Hexagon up there) the vast, vast majority of the feminists I've seen are the archetypical "SJW" and "Feminazi" feminists. Their goal? "KILL TEH PATRIARCHY!!!ONE!" I can't support that.
    I agree with sysreq on this- girls do tend to be pretty in-your-face about feminism...
    and I'd rather affiliate myself with egalitarianism, or the MRM (Men's Rights Movement).

The "FAGS ARE SINNERS!!!11" thing is subjective- the Bible is actually quite ambiguous about it. All the quotes against homosexuality are either wrong or used out of context by people who I bet haven't even read the Bible. The only (possibly) gay relationships in the Bible were... Canaanite temple prostitutes. Clearly, modern gay people are not temple prostitutes (at least, I hope not...), and there have also been badly translated words in the Bible that have been spread around by the Far Right Retards. (I'm center-right, so...)

And I'm not really offended by the term FtM, but, hey, I'm just a guy- no need to distinguish me from people who aren't trans. I think the women who are Christian simply have not read the "offensive" parts of the Bible. Maybe they want faith to keep them going instead of, you know, THEMSELVES. I dunno, dude. I'm also an atheist.

4. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can't really make any sense of your post, sorry. Who are you directing your misinformed statements at? It seems as if you're just trying to antagonize a group of people with no real coherent objective.

5. sysreq

I know all that.
    What's offensive about the term Ftm? I thought it was widely used? Sorry :frowning2:

I said civil manner, btw.
    Perhaps I should have said, and I thought I did,

THE VIEWS AREN'T MINE
    Secondly: Yeah, I was talking more about the Feminazis.

People read into the bible stupid things.

#5 sysreq, Nov 27, 2013
  6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not to play the armchair psychologist, but tell me about your childhood.

What was your own mother like as you grew up, and how do you get along with her now?

Your avi made me curious, among other things...

7. sysreq

Not my statements. Others'. I'm exploiting them to see what people here think.

[/COLOR]
    Yo dude READ THE FREAKING thing.
    It says MOMMY...SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET DOESN"T LIKE MEEEE! WAHH!

Not mommy doesn't like me.

8. Mrtambourineman

Feminism has achieved most of its goals..the rest will surely come..for me feminism is now a much smaller issue because it has run its course...sorry if i offended anybody :wink:

9. Tzoa

No need to yell. The text is really small. I had no idea what it said either until you laid it out here.

10. Lipstick Leuger

I am a Femminist.

However, I won't stand by and watch women bash males, minimize their plights, or laugh off the fact they get sexually harassed because "they are men and should be able to man up about it". Women get less time for molesting boys than do men for molesting girls. Gay male couples are thought to want to have kids to molest while lesbians are thought to want to have kids to nurture. Males are always considered the agressor when abuse takes place when more females start or instigate it than ever before. Just because they are male, or larger. This is hardly fair to them.

It was never meant to make males less than, and it never should have. Somehow it got to that. To the point that all things masculine became hated, like our Butch women, and treated as the reason women are being held down. Now, it is up to the younger and next generation of Femminists to make it right again. There will always be males who will think women are lesser than them. There will always be Femminists that think males are crap and trying to hurt women and hold them down. The younger generations of Femmininsts are not like the 1st wave.

I feel this way about Greenpeace and PETA and any other group or organization affecting 'social change'. They are great ideas, but if you make it a fight for power and dominance, it is still wrong.

#10 Lipstick Leuger, Nov 27, 2013
  11. Tzoa

I brought this up in a paper for Women's Studies, and my instructor left a very thoughtful note about it. I wish I could find the paper, but she essentially said, "In the search for social justice, the pendulum often swings from one extreme to another before finding equilibrium."

12. all I see is a bunch of men and one of them a self declared MRA

discussing an MRA post I don't think I really even want to do more than say feminism is actually an equality movement and then run away since I am bound to get flamed like I always do on the internet

last time I talked to a man on the internet he threatened to rape me and rip out my uterus

13. Sarcastic Luck

Can we just add feminism to the list of "don't talk about"? I'm really getting tired of getting on EC and feeling that I should be ashamed for considering myself male.

14. Tzoa

Feminism has achieved a lot of its goals, but I have to disagree that it has run its course.

There are still plenty of people who blame female victims of rape because "she was dressed like a whore and asking for it". Male victims of rape are also blamed because "men are strong and shouldn't let weak women take advantage of them".

Women only make 77 cents on a man's dollar. That statistic is just for white men and white men. Latina women make much less than a white man, in equal jobs, when both people are equally qualified.

It's still considered an insult to call someone "girly", especially when that word is directed towards a male (as if there is something inherently wrong with being a girl).

In media, women are more sexualized and demeaned than men. It wasn't long ago that there were ads featuring women lying on the ground with a man's foot on their heads and the caption read "keep her in her place". Today, women in shows, movies, ads and video games are put into sexual positions, have less power, and wear less clothing than their male counterparts.

A recent study at Duke found that the social climate pressured women to have an "effortless perfection", meaning she not only had to have perfect grades, but she also had to be thin, pretty, have perfect hair and have perfect nails. At Duke, it's more important for women to be pretty than for them to be smart.

Feminism hasn't run its course because women and men are still not treated with the same amount of respect in society.

---------- Post added 27th Nov 2013 at 08:56 PM ----------

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being male. Feminism is about gender equality and breaking down gender norms, which helps men as much as it helps women. I apologize if any of my posts made you feel ashamed of being a male.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now, now! No need to become crabby. I was just curious, as I wonder what role the females in your life might have played in your creating this post and the formation of your views. I'm just trying to understand your motivations, here, which seem to be to create controversy...I'm sorry, but the term 'Feminazis', among other things, doesn't seem the type of phrase to encourage peaceful debate, 'in a civil manner'.

16. Klutz

[sarcasm] You are right, you have no right to offer any insight about the equal treatment regardless of sex because you are of the wrong sex. [/sarcasm] That is silly.

Really? This is like saying "Bless her heart, what a bitch" and then getting defensive when someone calls you on it because you said "bless her heart".

Do you know what misogynistic means? And as a follower, do you think that misogyny is acceptable in any way? Maybe only remotely, like the $.80 women get to the $1 of men and the mommy break/ daddy bonus? It is only a bit so what are we whining about. And you are right, I have already been thought by the queen bigots themselves that society in unequal and I'm going to come up against that in life.

I fail to see how this differs from feminism except your notion that feminism wants women to be treated better. And equality is more than just at work. It goes to society telling girls to play with dolls and cry when they are emotional and boys to play with trucks and hit things when they are emotional. It is railroading people into gender roles that don't help anyone.

I cried at work a while ago. I was stressed and angry and just cried it out. Everyone was really nice to me. One of the guys I worked with cried at work years ago. He was stressed and angry and just cried it out. He still gets teased about it to this day. Is that right? No!

Yes, they are really stupid things, but I fail to see how feminism plays a part in any of it. There are extremists in anything, but I don't think saying extremists are representing the population is fair.

The feminist movement is about equality. It started that way, got off track, and is now back to the basics. Did you know that it was feminists that played a large role in parental leave from work, even for fathers? And, where I am at least, a lot of the feminists and gay groups are fighting with (alongside) each other for the same things because gender/orientation shouldn't matter.

You may be interested in reading some of Virginia Woolfe's works. She was one of the feminists who was writing mainly in the 1920s and took the stance that gender roles aren't beneficial to anyone. Very interesting, especially for the time. Also, in one of her novels Orlando the main character changes genders. I haven't read it, yet, but according to Wikipedia, it is a part of many gender studies classes.

17. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Er... The wage gap has been debunked already.
    It's because (a) not enough women are high up the corporate ladder and (b) not enough women in STEM careers.
    Women and men are just as good at math. I'm on my phone right now, but I'll add sources.

18. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And that's a problem; the pay gap exists because women are excluded from higher positions, and yes, women and men do have unequal pay for equal jobs in many cases.

--

All I'm seeing in this is a man's uneducated tantrum about women gaining rights. It's immature and to pretend that misandry is an actual problem is just a ridiculous excuse for misogyny. Yes, men have problems that come from gender, but no, feminism isn't harmful to men; it's the best thing for us.

19. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wait, who are you referring to? :confused: Are you referring to my post, or the OP?

20. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only responded to you with the pay gap discussion. The rest was to the OP.

---------- Post added 28th Nov 2013 at 04:24 PM ----------

Oh, and don't talk about Feminazis, guys. The stupid myth that for a woman to call you out on your misogynistic idiocy is similar to the genocide of millions and a brutal Fascist government is disgusting and laughably stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.